BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community
Fuel Mileage - Printable Version

+- BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum)
+-- Forum: General Forums (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Technology & Performance (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Fuel Mileage (/thread-248.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Fuel Mileage - darrell - 12-06-2019

Wayne (GG) asked in another post how I was achieving the 50 mpg on my RS. I replied a lot has to do with how active the right hand is on the throttle. After thinking about I still believe it is a key factor but can add a couple of other points.

I keep tire pressures at 38 front and 42 rear checking at least every 2 days and daily if temperatures or altitude have changed a lot from the day before. I use a calibrated gauge checking when tires are cold.

I only use premium fuel if available (98% of the time) and non alcohol if I can find which is 100% of time in MN and WI and maybe 40% of the time when traveling.

As well I’m pretty gentle on the throttle when accelerating away from a stop or even when picking up speed while traveling.

The two photos below are from my 2019 5845 mile trip in June to GA, SC and NC for the Helen Ride-In and traveling those states and the 2019 July 7265 mile Continental Divide ride.[attachment=364][attachment=365]

RE: Fuel Mileage - Ray - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 12:08 PM)darrell Wrote: Wayne (GG) asked in another post how I was achieving the 50 mpg on my RS. I replied a lot has to do with how active the right hand is on the throttle. After thinking about I still believe it is a key factor but can add a couple of other points.

Agree. Smooth is fast. Follow your general principles on all points and remain consistently above 50 MPG with average speed for the life of the bike at 51 MPH.

The shop mechanics tell me that an average speed above 50 mph is fairly rare at the shop. I don't know what that means here in GS-land.

I'll add that that the bike is almost always loaded and knows little of the interstate - I'll estimate 5% of miles are on the slab.

Loaded up and at speeds over 75 mph, miles per gallon drop off pretty quickly.

Now - how do you explain improved mileage at altitude.... (And, try not to start with less wind resistance.)

RE: Fuel Mileage - darrell - 12-06-2019

Now - how do you explain improved mileage at altitude.... (And, try not to start with less wind resistance.)
[/quote]
I'm not sure I can explain why the mileage increased the 1 mpg despite the average speed for the total trips was 8.5 mph faster on the higher altitude ride. Also in some of the smaller towns in the Rockies you can only find 85 and 87 octane gas. I know one time I filled with 85 octane as that is all the station had. I'm not sure if thinner air affects fuel mileage. I know it affects me when I attempt to hike any distance at elevations of 10,000 ft or above.

Will be a good discussion topic while in Gunnison.

RE: Fuel Mileage - mspratz - 12-07-2019

Other factors that affect gas mileage are cruising speed, and how much stuff you have on the bike.
Air resistance increases in proportion to the square of the velocity. This means that if you double your speed, you need four times as much energy to overcome air resistance. That doesn't mean if you double your speed you'll halve your gas mileage, because there are other factors involved such as friction of engine parts, bearings, tire rolling resistance, etc., and those things also increase with speed, but not to the same degree that air resistance does.
How much stuff you have and how much it is sticking out into the airflow makes a big difference to gas mileage too. Poor aerodynamics and and added weight are both going to reduce gas mileage.
If you're doing 50 mph on a flat road with a compact load and a tail wind, 60 mpg. If you're doing 75 mph with side cases, a passenger, and the kitchen sink loaded on top of the top box and a headwind up a long grade, 35 mpg if you're lucky.

RE: Fuel Mileage - Lee - 12-07-2019

It's not unusual for us to get 50 MPG if our cruising speeds are 75 or under.
Strong headwinds seems to effect RS mileage more than the K1300S. The S did not have those jugs sticking out and the bags were much narrower.
We have not had the RSs out to the Rockies but I remember the K1200RS and K1300S getting great mileage at high altitude.
I do not notice a difference in mileage when using 89 AKI or 91 AKI.
If the pump shows the 91 does not have ethanol, that's what I use.
A lot of states are not good about marking the pumps, so on trips we use 89 a lot of times.
In Iowa it's easy to find 91 ethanol free.

RE: Fuel Mileage - zjohnson878 - 05-02-2020

I routinely get 49mpg on my 1250rs using 93 octane ethanol even with a little aggressive riding. Honestly it's hard to make this engine work hard unless you're loaded heavy and riding 75+mph for long periods I think. This bike is a workhorse! My kawasaki z125 pro gets 95mpg with mods and to think the big beemer gets 50mpg seems insane. Good work BMW!

RE: Fuel Mileage - Grumpy Goat - 05-02-2020

(05-02-2020, 08:51 PM)zjohnson878 Wrote: I routinely get 49mpg on my 1250rs using 93 octane ethanol even with a little aggressive riding. Honestly it's hard to make this engine work hard unless you're loaded heavy and riding 75+mph for long periods I think.

I routinely tour fully loaded and cruise at 75+. My R1200RS is not working hard at all then ... takes it in stride. Even with my pillion on the back (heavier than my touring load) and cruising at the same speeds it shows no effort.

I got 52 mpg.US once. Then I upgraded the air filter and installed a Remus Hexacone muffler and since then I only get 44+ mpg.US. The upgrades are worth it though. Big Grin

RE: Fuel Mileage - Olgry1 - 05-03-2020

My 1250 RT usually gets mid to high 40s on multi day trips depending on the mix of backroad and interstate riding. Around town the mileage is in the low to mid 40s.

My last tank of gas was not very good at 36.6 mpg. Not sure if the poor mileage should be attributed to almost 6 weeks of "stay at home" orders and the effect on my wrist, the newly installed Remus Hexcone slip on, brisk interstate roll on trials with a corvette, viper, mcclaren and GSXR 1000 or a sound level vs speed experiment at moderate to high speed interstate cruising. Big Grin

RE: Fuel Mileage - Grumpy Goat - 05-03-2020

(05-03-2020, 05:56 AM)Olgry1 Wrote: My last tank of gas was not very good at 36.6 mpg. Not sure if the poor mileage should be attributed to almost 6 weeks of "stay at home" orders and the effect on my wrist, the newly installed Remus Hexcone slip on, brisk interstate roll on trials with a corvette, viper, mcclaren and GSXR 1000 or a sound level vs speed experiment at moderate to high speed interstate cruising. Big Grin

Sounds like you had a lot of fun achieving that 36.6 mpg. Big Grin

Prior to me doing the mods I mentioned, my average was 47 mpg, tank to tank, touring or not. Last time I checked I got 42.8 mpg, although the riding is quite spirited in spots. Undecided

RE: Fuel Mileage - MrVvrroomm - 05-03-2020

I'm always here to be the downer.

We are at historically low gas prices right now. Who gives a fat rat's ass?

RE: Fuel Mileage - Grumpy Goat - 05-03-2020

(05-03-2020, 11:34 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I'm always here to be the downer.

I certainly don't. Big Grin

RE: Fuel Mileage - Duccrazydave - 05-04-2020

TBH, when I'm riding, I rarely pay attention to the price of gas. Usually looking for a preferred brand, if available. I'm guessing you configured the mph to show on the Nav? Mine shows tire pressure at the top left.

RE: Fuel Mileage - Lee - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 04:19 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: TBH, when I'm riding, I rarely pay attention to the price of gas. Usually looking for a preferred brand, if available.

Same for me.

(05-03-2020, 11:34 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I'm always here to be the downer.

The big thing I like about good gas mileage is the extra range.

RE: Fuel Mileage - Grumpy Goat - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 10:15 AM)Lee Wrote: The big thing I like about good gas mileage is the extra range.

When on a long road trip that is a big plus. On short spirited rides I don’t worry about it. The BMW boxer is an excellent example of a fuel-efficient engine in it’s displacement class that is also no slouch in propelling our bikes as fast as we care to go. Best of both worlds.

(05-04-2020, 11:57 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: When on a long road trip that is a big plus. On short spirited rides I don’t worry about it. The BMW boxer is an excellent example of a fuel-efficient engine in it’s displacement class that is also no slouch in propelling our bikes as fast as we care to go. Best of both worlds.

We have to be careful about fuel range in NW Arkansas, and some areas of Texas.

RE: Fuel Mileage - AlanM - 05-04-2020

Hi ,
As I have just joined the forum I have been looking at some old posts and this caught my eye.
WHO cares, if you have a RS it is a toy for enjoyment. Should you need to know fuel mileage no, unless the next available is TOO far. So tough you should know the limits on your own machine/man interface.
I also fly light aircraft and hire for just 1 hour costs the same as fuel in my RS for 1000 miles but hell thats what I want to do.

(05-04-2020, 02:06 PM)AlanM Wrote: WHO cares, if you have a RS it is a toy for enjoyment. Should you need to know fuel mileage no,

Like you our bikes are strictly for entertainment but I like to have a rough idea what my gas mileage should be for certain conditions.
If I see lower than normal mileage over several tanks of gas I know there may be a problem with the bike.

RE: Fuel Mileage - Grumpy Goat - 05-04-2020

My RS is not a toy for enjoyment. I use it as my principal means of transportation.

RE: Fuel Mileage - darrell - 08-08-2020

Did not want to start a new thread on fuel mileage.

Twice in last 3 days I have pulled in to a station with 10 and 11 miles to empty showing on the dash and GPS. Both times I was able to add 4.5 gal of fuel in to what is supposed to be a 4.8 gal tank capacity. At 50 mi/gal the 0.3 gal remaining would get me about 15 miles. If all this is correct I would not want to challenge myself to get past the 0 remaining indication unless I had extra fuel with me.