BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community
Stay away from Teslas - Printable Version

+- BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum)
+-- Forum: Lounge (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-34.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Stay away from Teslas (/thread-518.html)

Pages: 1 2

Stay away from Teslas - Grumpy Goat - 05-18-2021

I tend to give Teslas a wide berth. Lots of stories recently of Tesla‘s getting into accidents due to auto pilot problems and other causes that may or may not be known. Not interested in being close to them on the road.

https://flip.it/MDyZ9P

RE: Stay away from Teslas - MrVvrroomm - 05-19-2021

Waiting on our new Model Y Performance any day now.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Olgry1 - 05-19-2021

We recently bought a new 2021 BMW SUV. We looked at a number of similar models but did not look at a Tesla.

I really like a lot (awesome acceleration!!) of what Tesla offers. Personally I am not comfortable with the current infrastructure to recharge the batteries when traveling.

If used primarily around town and someone is willing to spend the $$ for a home charger then I think it would be a great option for people to look at when buying a vehicle.

Bruce you and Dawn have fun with your Tesla.Big Grin

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Grumpy Goat - 05-19-2021

Don't get me wrong ... I like Teslas and the idea of electric vehicles. Don't care for the Auto-Pilot or some of the people behind the wheel. For me its is always down to the people.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Olgry1 - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 10:28 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Don't get me wrong ... I like Teslas and the idea of electric vehicles. Don't care for the Auto-Pilot or some of the people behind the wheel. For me its is always down to the people.

Some times I can be a little slow...Big Grin

(05-18-2021, 09:10 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: I tend to give Teslas a wide berth. Lots of stories recently of Tesla‘s getting into accidents due to auto pilot problems and other causes that may or may not be known. Not interested in being close to them on the road.

https://flip.it/MDyZ9P
I would trust Tesla's auto-pilot over MOST drivers on the road. At least Tesla's auto-pilot signals ALL turns and lane changes.

Stay away from Teslas - Grumpy Goat - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 03:37 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I would trust Tesla's auto-pilot over MOST drivers on the road. At least Tesla's auto-pilot signals ALL turns and lane changes.

Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(05-19-2021, 04:28 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 03:37 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I would trust Tesla's auto-pilot over MOST drivers on the road. At least Tesla's auto-pilot signals ALL turns and lane changes.
Good point.
I misspoke. Tesla does not change lanes on it's own when using autopilot. When in autopilot if driver signals lane change, the car will change lanes if, and only if it's safe to do so.

All Teslas come with autopilot:
"Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Autopilot introduces new features and improves existing functionality to make your Tesla safer and more capable over time.

Autopilot enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane.

Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous."

Tesla upsells Full Self-Driving (FSD) Capability presently on Model Y & 3 for $10K.

"FSD: All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving capabilities are introduced, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

Currently FSD is in early beta stage. There are some features that are useable, but full autonomous self driving is not presently available.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Duccrazydave - 05-20-2021

This one really cracked me up Big Grin
https://www.thedrive.com/news/40591/jailed-autopilot-abuser-buys-another-tesla-immediately-starts-riding-in-back-seat

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Grumpy Goat - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 07:32 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: This one really cracked me up Big Grin
https://www.thedrive.com/news/40591/jailed-autopilot-abuser-buys-another-tesla-immediately-starts-riding-in-back-seat

Maybe they will lock the little sh*t up and he'll learn some respect in jail. Like I said, its the people, not the technology.

Stay away from Teslas - Duccrazydave - 05-20-2021

Arrogance + Money = Douchebag, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Stay away from Teslas - MrVvrroomm - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 08:08 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Arrogance + Money = Douchebag, lol
Hey now! Angel

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Duccrazydave - 05-24-2021

That, most certainly, doesn't describe you, Bruce Big Grin
Let's replace money with unlimited funds Cool

The EV Are the Vehicles of Our Furture - darrell - 07-02-2021

Bruce stopped over today with his Tesla Model Y to give me a nice long tutorial on all the features before taking me on a 30 mile ride before stopping and telling me to get behind the steering wheel. We go another 25 miles. He did not look white as a fresh sheet so I must have done okay with his new car.

I have to believe a black Vet named “Ray” might have been able to see the taillights of the Tesla from a standing stop takeoff. When the driver tells you to put your head against the head rest before we “take off” I sensed I might want to pay attention. Before I could get all the words out, “How fast are we g…..? we were well over 60 mph. Like less then 3 seconds.

This is one heck of a car with its clean look and hundreds of features. I had sat in a model X and model 3 before but never had a ride in one or drove one. I was blown away by not just the look and features of the model Y but even more impressed with how it handled, ease of operating and complete quietness with the double pane windows.

My Ford F-150 Platinum model seems like a Sherman tank compared to this Tesla. Bruce’s time with me convinced me to seriously consider an EV car or pickup of some sort before buying another petrol fueled vehicle. Bruce made an excellent point with the fact we ride our motorcycles for 2 - 3 hours and then stop for fuel so stopping every 3 hours at a charging station for 30 minutes is probably no more time then we spend off our bikes or current cars/pickups when we stop.

I’m impressed would be an understatement.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Grumpy Goat - 07-02-2021

Very nice post on your experience Darrell. I am sure that it is a blast to drive.

Bruce - how about some pictures of this new baby of yours.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - MrVvrroomm - 07-05-2021

(07-02-2021, 08:38 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Very nice post on your experience Darrell. I am sure that it is a blast to drive.

Bruce - how about some pictures of this new baby of yours.
I sent you a few pics via FB to resize/post.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Grumpy Goat - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 09:33 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I sent you a few pics via FB to resize/post.

FB must have resized them on the fly as they were good size there, but I did some minor edits and made them byte-lighter. Beautiful car!

RE: Stay away from Teslas - MrVvrroomm - 07-05-2021

Such a hoot to drive!

We haven't killed a motorcyclist yet. Crushing their ego shouldn't kill them.

Published 0-60 motorcycle times are usually accomplished by professional riders. A monkey can duplicate published Tesla 0-60 times.

Hard to imagine how quick 3.5 seconds to 60 really is.

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Lee - 07-05-2021

(07-02-2021, 03:53 PM)darrell Wrote: . Bruce made an excellent point with the fact we ride our motorcycles for 2 - 3 hours and then stop for fuel so stopping every 3 hours at a charging station for 30 minutes is probably no more time then we spend off our bikes or current cars/pickups when we stop.

If you're driving about 70 mph how many miles can you travel after 30 minutes of charging?

RE: Stay away from Teslas - Lee - 07-05-2021

Found theses charging times but they don't mention what average speed they use in the calculations.

Wall Connector

A Tesla Wall Connector offers the fastest charging speed for your home or office, adding up to 44 miles of range per hour charged. You can order a Wall Connector online and have it installed by a Tesla Certified electrician.
Mobile Connectors and Adapters

If you don't want to install a Wall Connector, you can use the 20 foot Mobile Connector and NEMA 5-15 adapter supplied with your vehicle and plug into a standard three-prong, 120 volt outlet. A 120 volt outlet will supply 2 to 3 miles of range per hour charged. If you charge overnight and drive less than 30 to 40 miles per day, this option should meet your typical charging needs.

You can also purchase an adapter bundle and charge with other outlet types, including a 240 volt outlet. Commonly used in homes to power larger appliances, a 240 volt outlet will supply up to 30 miles of range per hour charged.

Superchargers

The Tesla Supercharger is the fastest charging option when you're away from home, allowing you to charge your car up to 200 miles in 15 minutes. Designed to get you charged and back on the road as quickly as possible, we own and operate 25,000 global Superchargers that are accessible on a 24/7 basis, located on major routes near convenient amenities