BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community
Where are the UK guys? - Printable Version

+- BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum)
+-- Forum: Regional Forums (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-17.html)
+--- Forum: UK Riders (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Where are the UK guys? (/thread-674.html)

Pages: 1 2

Where are the UK guys? - Bonzo - 04-09-2022

UK rider here, who admittedly spends/spent his R1200RS-Forum time over on the 'other' site which it seems is currently no more.

I joined here a few years ago, but right now, I'm very glad that GG took the trouble to set this one up.

Smile

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Grumpy Goat - 04-09-2022

(04-09-2022, 05:24 AM)Bonzo Wrote: UK rider here, who admittedly spends/spent his R1200RS-Forum time over on the 'other' site which it seems is currently no more.

I joined here a few years ago, but right now, I'm very glad that GG took the trouble to set this one up.

Smile

You are welcome Bonzo.

I guess the UK and other Europe-based riders will slowly make their way over to this site and to the special welcome message here.

However, there should be no misconception - this site was never intended to be for US riders, just as the R1200RSForum.com site was not intended to be UK- / Europe-based. It just ended up being that way due to that site being slightly older than this, and both being formed after the crash of the original site. Being there were more RS riders from places where "cruisers" are not synonymous with "motorcycle", the nucleus of the UK-based riders was established on that site before this Forum Community was setup. Seems as though that point is now moot.

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Freddyfruitbat - 04-10-2022

(04-09-2022, 05:24 AM)Bonzo Wrote: UK rider here, who admittedly spends/spent his R1200RS-Forum time over on the 'other' site which it seems is currently no more.

<waves>

Same here, another happy UK refugee.... I found the other site first, several years ago, and in fact at the time I talked myself out of signing up to this one as well, as I decided I spent more than enough time on forums! Big thanks to GG

RE: Where are the UK guys? - L2RKE - 04-10-2022

Another Englander from Suffolk here. Noticeing some familer names from another RS forum.

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Wayfarer - 04-12-2022

And another one from England, hopefully the numbers will continue to grow as time goes on

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Grumpy Goat - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 04:49 AM)Wayfarer Wrote: And another one from England, hopefully the numbers will continue to grow as time goes on

I agree, there are lots of y'all who ride, and ride RSs ... much more than us over here. And the riding over there is no nice ... I envy you guys. Although I don't think I would like the hedge rows that are right to the edge of the road. I keep imagining all sort of animals darting out from a hedge row ... Undecided

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Bonzo - 04-12-2022

You probably wouldn't like the weather 9 months of the year either GG :-)

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Grumpy Goat - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 11:32 AM)Bonzo Wrote: You probably wouldn't like the weather 9 months of the year either GG :-)

You're probably right ... Big Grin All that "RDF" as we say in Newfoundland (where I went to Uni) ... "rain, drizzle and fog". At least everything is nice and green thanks to the damp and rain.

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Boxerboy55 - 04-23-2022

We’re queuing up here

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Notretta - 04-28-2022

Another from UK just north of the river Tees in Billingham.

RE: Where are the UK guys? - OlieL - 05-09-2022

Greetings to fellow RS'ers from near Cranleigh in Surrey. Also a former denizen of the "other forum"!

RE: Where are the UK guys? - KJK - 01-18-2023

All the best from sunny Scotland ?.
+1 from the original forum as well.

RE: Where are the UK guys? - zei220 - 03-15-2023

Hello everyone, a new owner from Cheshire

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Grumpy Goat - 03-15-2023

(03-15-2023, 08:34 AM)zei220 Wrote: Hello everyone, a new owner from Cheshire

A special welcome zei220 and all new members from locations other than the US, especially the UK (the largest bloc of non-US members) glad to have you all here.  Smile

Contrary to what some might say, this Forum Community is not and was never intended to be for US-member focused, so all are equally welcome. The more the merrier. 

That said I do prefer more "meaty" and informative posts on this forum, as opposed to light frivolous banter, especially if those posts have to do with riding and working on the RS and better yet, DIY maintenance projects on the RS. This should be the place to go if one wants to find good information on the RS directly and fast, without wading through pages of fluff ...

Anyway, I digress. Welcome again and I look forward to hearing from you guys in the UK where you are all experts in riding in the wet ...  Big Grin

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Ray - 03-15-2023

(03-15-2023, 02:19 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(03-15-2023, 08:34 AM)zei220 Wrote: Hello everyone, a new owner from Cheshire

...without wading through pages of fluff ...

Well said.
Wait - are you saying Bravo's off-topic comments are fluffy?

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Grumpy Goat - 03-15-2023

(03-15-2023, 05:50 PM)Ray Wrote: Well said.
Wait - are you saying Bravo's off-topic comments are fluffy?

Heheh … no comment. Actually … Bravo is quite succinct most of the time. Big Grin

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Dr Thanatos - 07-28-2023

Hi fellow Brits. From Suffolk and loving the RS, just back from a trip to Switzerland via Luxembourg and Germany and back through France. Bike was faultless as expected

RE: Where are the UK guys? - af1-windy - 12-12-2023

Yet another brit, this place is getting over run..  Rolleyes

Yorkshire, born and bred  Cool

I still have my xr in the garage, it'll likely sell next spring, unless someone makes me an offer before then. 

Meanwhile, I bought the bike that was used for this article  https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/bmw/bmw-r1200rs-2017-longterm-review/bmw-r1200rs-review-part-six

It has had a few mods on its journey and it's been very well cared for. I bought it from a dealer in Birmingham and have set about personalising it for me and the other half, now she has decided she would like to do a tour of Europe, previously, we've only done short trips in the UK, 95% of my riding is solo, Euro tours, UK and Scottish tours, wild camping, b/b's etc. with a great bunch of riders.

See my introduction for the changes I've made.. 

Later, I'll bore you all with some holiday photos..  Confused Blush

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Grumpy Goat - 12-12-2023

(12-12-2023, 02:00 AM)af1-windy Wrote: ...
Meanwhile, I bought the bike that was used for this article  https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/bmw/bmw-r1200rs-2017-longterm-review/bmw-r1200rs-review-part-six

Interesting review of your 2017 model, and it is pretty spot-on in my view with a couple of exceptions. While dated, the original instrumentation was not that hard to read at all and the numbers were larger than on my 2019 Tracer 900 GT. Sure, it cannot compare to the next / current TFT display (nothing can compare to that, from any manufacturer I have seen), but the old display is not that bad. Still, I use my Nav VI as my display and largely ignore the bike's dash.

The other thing is the mentioned lack of auto-blipper ... what is that all about? My 2016 RS has GSAP (Gearshift Assist Pro) with clutchless shifting in both directions. This is the first I've heard with only clutchless shifting in one direction (up). And the smoothness ... yes, it is clunky going up through the first 3 gears (smooth for the rest) and smooth going down, so I think he was being a bit harsh. Mind it is nothing like the gearbox on my Tiger 900 ...

(12-12-2023, 02:00 AM)af1-windy Wrote: ... previously, we've only done short trips in the UK, 95% of my riding is solo, Euro tours, UK and Scottish tours, wild camping, b/b's etc. with a great bunch of riders.

I keep looking at YouTube videos by riders in the UK and, weather aside, envy all the places you can reach via motorcycle, including on the Continent and even down to Africa. Amazing, and also the opportunities to motocamp are great.

RE: Where are the UK guys? - Motorhead1977 - 12-12-2023

As for the GSAP, having owned a 2018 RT and a 2020 RS while the '18 shift assist was useful albeit a bit clunky in the lower gears, the 1250 model shift assist is nearly flawless in both directions. That said, it would have been nice while examining the '18 RS had my BMW dealer at least mentioned the existence of the RS when I stated my concern about the seat height, including the BMW low seat. When I quite accidentally discovered the RS in 2020 it was like a revelation of biblical proportions Idea ! The bike fit me in it's out of the crate set up.  Oops, sorry for the semi hijack Angel .