BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community
Arkansas? - Printable Version

+- BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum)
+-- Forum: Destinations (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Travel Information and Advice (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Arkansas? (/thread-814.html)

Arkansas? - Liteitup - 08-18-2022

So I suddenly have a free week starting this Saturday. We had a trip planned that we had to cancel.  

Actually not a whole week, Joanne's bday is Thursday. Probably need to be home for that.

Looks like rain west (Colorado) so I'm thinking Arkansas again. Would anyone have recommendations other than Eureka? Although rooms are available at the Eidelweiss and that certainly wouldn't be a bad choice.
Eureka area is the only place I've stayed, twice in Eureka, once in Harrison.
Hot Springs maybe?
Almost certainly a solo trip.
Any thoughts?

From central TX (Waco area).

RE: Arkansas? - Grumpy Goat - 08-18-2022

(08-18-2022, 04:43 AM)Liteitup Wrote: So I suddenly have a free week starting this Saturday. We had a trip planned that we had to cancel.  

Actually not a whole week, Joanne's bday is Thursday. Probably need to be home for that.

Looks like rain west (Colorado) so I'm thinking Arkansas again. Would anyone have recommendations other than Eureka?

Funny you should ask. My boss has a cabin in Mountain View AR and he invited me up this weekend and one of the draws is the Mountains, Music & Motorcycles Rally this weekend. Ride Texas has this to say about it. It is 8hr / 509 miles away.

According to him it is a good time, although likely to be cruiser biased, for which I have little to zero interest. Apparently there is great riding in the area also.

RE: Arkansas? - Liteitup - 08-18-2022

(08-18-2022, 06:47 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Funny you should ask. My boss has a cabin in Mountain View AR and he invited me up this weekend and one of the draws is the Mountains, Music & Motorcycles Rally this weekend. Ride Texas has this to say about it. It is 8hr / 509 miles away.

According to him it is a good time, although likely to be cruiser biased, for which I have little to zero interest. Apparently there is great riding in the area also.

Thanks, probably not my scene either.
Keep em coming.

Looking at national weather maps (for whatever they're worth) , it looks like Eureka Springs and north may be the best choice. I hear Missouri is really nice....

RE: Arkansas? - Grumpy Goat - 08-18-2022

(08-18-2022, 07:38 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Looking at national weather maps (for whatever they're worth) , it looks like Eureka Springs and north may be the best choice. I hear Missouri is really nice....

What about staying in Texas and visiting the Big Bend area?

(08-18-2022, 11:17 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: What about staying in Texas and visiting the Big Bend area?

Have to admit, Big Bend in August never occurred to me. Weather actually looks decent, hmmm.

RE: Arkansas? - runnerhiker - 08-18-2022

Look up Queen Wilhelmina State Park near Mena AR, there used to be a lodge up there (at some elevation, around 2000 ft), it's a great place to stay.

Mena to Ozark - good road
Mena to Russelville - good road
Mena to Hot Springs - good road
Tallamenah Parkway (I am sure I have the spelling wrong) west of Queen Wihelmena is great.

If you go further east, like to Little Rock and Pine Bluff, the roads become average

RE: Arkansas? - Grumpy Goat - 08-19-2022

(08-18-2022, 02:25 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: Look up Queen Wilhelmina State Park near Mena AR, there used to be a lodge up there (at some elevation, around 2000 ft), it's a great place to stay.

Mena to Ozark - good road
Mena to Russelville - good road
Mena to Hot Springs - good road
Tallamenah Parkway (I am sure I have the spelling wrong) west of Queen Wihelmena is great.

If you go further east, like to Little Rock and Pine Bluff, the roads become average

I second that ... good riding in that area and nice scenery. I ate at that lodge a few maybe 3 years back and it was a very nice place with great views. Have a couple of videos on my channel of the area.

RE: Arkansas? - Liteitup - 08-19-2022

Thanks everyone, leave in the morning. NW Arkansas/Missouri without a real plan. I even recruited a couple of my riding buds to go along. Return Wednesday or earlyish Thursday(Joanne's bday). We're just gonna play it by ear and head for the clearest skies/best roads combination.

Thanks again.

RE: Arkansas? - Ray - 08-19-2022

(08-19-2022, 07:37 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Thanks everyone, leave in the morning. NW Arkansas/Missouri without a real plan. I even recruited a couple of my riding buds to go along. Return Wednesday or earlyish Thursday(Joanne's bday). We're just gonna play it by ear and head for the clearest skies/best roads combination.

Thanks again.

A direction, a few friends, and no expectations. 

Sounds like the recipe for a perfect trip.

RE: Arkansas? - Grumpy Goat - 08-19-2022

(08-19-2022, 07:37 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Thanks everyone, leave in the morning. NW Arkansas/Missouri without a real plan. I even recruited a couple of my riding buds to go along. Return Wednesday or earlyish Thursday(Joanne's bday). We're just gonna play it by ear and head for the clearest skies/best roads combination.

Thanks again.

Have a great trip. Update the thread with how it turned out. Photos would be nice.

RE: Arkansas? - mojoguzzi - 08-19-2022

I love riding in the Ozarks. As Grump said, let us know how it goes! I'm partial to the Buffalo River area. The town of Hardy, AR, is cute if you're that far northeast. Have you been to Blanchard Springs Cavern? Very cool. It's near Mountain View.

RE: Arkansas? - Lee - 08-21-2022

Carlton-Marion in Yellville is a good place to stay. Stayed there 2 times. Close to the popular Push Mt. Road.
As mentioned above the Lodge at Queen Whilhelmina is a nice place to spend a night. Not a good place to headquarter out of because you can get stuck in place by low clouds.
A cheap place down the mountain in Mena is the Ozark Inn. Stayed there 2 times in April. Think it was $60.
Last year we looked at Pinewood Cabins in Mountain View. Looked like a nice property.
Not cheap, but a nice place and a perfect location is the Jasper Getaway. Great roads in any direction out of Jasper.
We're on the road now and can't easily add websites or pibctures.

Nice back roads in SE Missouri. We'll be in that area tomorrow.