Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cardo vs Sena
I'm looking at a new helmet comm system as my trusty Sena SMH10R is getting pretty out of date and starting to fail. I'm looking at "mesh" systems as my buddy that I go on longer rides with has a Cardo Pactalk Bold (inclined to go with this as it should be compatible with his). The other option would be the Sena 50S or 50R. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Chris216
If you like good music quality then Cardo with JBL enhanced audio is better. Also, Sena is pathetic when it comes to firmware and feature updates. Cardo is a little better. Seems to me that Cardo listens to its customer base more than Sena.

On the other hand, if you are into video recording, Sena offers a communicator/camera package that enables recording of video and audio from all persons in the mesh. Cardo has no offering in this regard. This is not an issue if not into video with other people.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Thanks GG, not so much into the video side of things. Just want to communicate, hook up to TFT, radar detector, phone etc.
Chris216
(09-13-2021, 01:01 PM)Chris216 Wrote: Thanks GG, not so much into the video side of things. Just want to communicate, hook up to TFT, radar detector, phone etc.
Chris216

Then I would recommend the Cardo Packtalk Bold or Black.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Any of these systems also usable as a PA with whatever speaker(s) can be stuffed somewhere on the bike? I'm thinking of not just useful for when volunteering for public service or club events, but to tell someone where to stick their car/selves in case of a near-miss?
Angel
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
The jog dial on my old SMH10 decided to quit working this weekend, so I'm about to be looking at new ones as well.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
Revzilla presently of offering the Pactalk Bold with JBL sound is over $70 off. Good price on a great headset.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/card...r_Campaign
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I have the Cardo PT Bold .. nothing to compare it against but I can say it works perfectly and very pleased with the functionality and quality.
(02-12-2022, 04:33 PM)70garyb Wrote: I have the Cardo PT Bold .. nothing to compare it against but I can say it works perfectly and very pleased with the functionality and quality.

I had Sena headsets until I got some issue or the other with my 20S and was not pleased with the lack of support so I switched all over to Cardo, which also had JBL sound. Have been pleased ever since. I see that Sena now offers Harmon Kardon sound but I suspect that their customer support and updates are still lacking so I have no need to switch back. Very happy with Cardo.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I ended up getting the Cardo Packtalk Bold (pretty good deal on Amazon). Got everything set up and paired up, but no chance to test yet.
Chris
Running by myself, I use the Sena 20S I've had for 4 years. I use for music only.

Running with my brother or others in a group, I use one of two paired helmets using the CPT Bolds. The sound quality is better with the JBL's, and pairing other riders is easier [ IMO ].

Brother also uses CPT Bold on his two helmets that are paired. Then his are paired with mine as well. So 4 helmets that can talk to each other if desired between two of us.

The Sena 20S is still running strong, still holds a charge as long as when new. No issues in 4 years.

I'm stay with Cardo's products, they just seem easier to use for me
My PTBold has died early on two rides, Friday being the most recent. This after what I assume is a full charge. Both times I used my jump box to recharge it while we were stopped. Showed a full charge, or more accurately, quit taking a charge after less than thirty minutes and worked fine the rest of the ride. I've never had it notify me of low battery, it just quits working.
Most times it works perfectly.
User error or ......?
2022 BMW R1250 GSA

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(02-13-2022, 09:13 AM)Liteitup Wrote: ...I've never had it notify me of low battery, it just quits working.
Most times it works perfectly.
User error or ......?

I don't think that it is user error exactly. Mine warns me when the battery is getting low (25%?) but if I have music playing it kind of beeps and mumbles the warning so sometimes I miss what is said, although I can usually hear the beep and can guess what it meant. Maybe you are just not hearing it if listening to something else.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I wasn't clear, both times mine cut off in the first hour or so of a ride. Despite having been (supposedly) fully charged. Other than that it's heads and shoulders above my old Sena SMH10.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350