Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative photochromic helmet visor for a fraction of the price ...
(11-16-2022, 02:51 PM)Ray Wrote: My last 3 Shoei photochromatic shields all succombed to scratches from high-speed bugs and rocks.
I wonder if the savings represents the rate at which the shield darkens and lightens, or if the savings comes from that "direct from the factory because a box fell off the back of a truck and I mailed it to my cousin in LA" discount.

(Actually, the factory(ies) that makes the shields for Shoei likely also sells the same or similar product to anyone who wants to buy in bulk. 

I have only had one Shoei photochromic shield and it did have the residual darkening, but I can still use it at night, as it is not dark ... just the slightest tint. It has some small scratches but not that bad. If the RF-1400 used the same shield as the RF-1200 I would have re-used the Shoei photochromic shield.

That said the Puentemys shield is working great so far and has seen a ton of bugs (no rocks yet) in the Kerrville trip. Nice and clear with no aberrations. If it lasts 1/2 as long as the Shoei shield, then it is a win since you'll be able to get a fresh shield twice as fast.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternative photochromic helmet visor for a fraction of the price ... - by Grumpy Goat - 11-16-2022, 06:09 PM