Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the future of motorcycles whether you like it or not ...
(03-12-2023, 05:41 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: He talked a lot, but I think the only thing he said was "price" - building motorcycle in some countries is cheaper than building them in other countries.  He also mentioned reliability and features but he didn't add any useful information.

I think, in making his point, those things (price, reliability and features) are the useful information. In a volume market those things will prop up the sales for things like motorcycles, unless people's wealth is seeing runaway growth. If the Chinese bikes can deliver adequate (dare I say good) feature set, performance and reliability, at thousands cheaper and with a similar warranty, then the pressure is on the rest of the market to deliver.

There is a CF Moto dealership five miles away from my house and I had a chance to look at a 2022 CFMoto 700CL-X Sport in the flesh. Build quality appeared to be great, and the feature set was impressive. ABS with Brembo Stylema 4-piston calipers on 320 mm twin rotors in front and a 2-piston caliper on the rear, auto-cancelling turn signals, cruise control, full LED lighting, etc. 74hp / 451 lbs wet, same tires as our bikes, and a 2-year transferable warranty. Price - $6,999. 

Now I have not ridden this bike, but I hardly think it will ride poorly. They have been receiving good reviews so far and after a few years who knows ... that was the point of the video, I think.

Then there is the "Chinese GS" (middleweight) from them the 2022 CFMoto Ibex 800T which comes in at $10,499 without luggage, and includes things like LED headlights, taillights, signal lights and fog lights; 7" TFT display with Bluetooth and CFMOTO Ride App connectivity, electronic throttle, sport and rain ride modes, cruise control, adjustable windscreen, heated grips, heated seat,
quickshifter, USB port, 12-volt DC. Sorry for the cut and paste but I am making a point.  Wink I have not even seen this bike at that dealer but the engine is the same as the KTM 790 engine (they have a relationship with KTM) and the predecessor to this bike has good reviews, including for light-medium off-roading.

Unless we have a boycott of Chinese products in this country these bikes will make a difference in the market, especially with the younger demographic. (Did someone say that they mattered ...? Huh )
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is the future of motorcycles whether you like it or not ... - by Grumpy Goat - 03-13-2023, 09:56 AM