Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I also concluded there is a snap-ring only at the front, which means the rear is seized. I had no further luck after leaving it to soak in penetrating oil overnight. I found the pertinent thread on Advrider.com. There are 53 pages of it, consisting of over a thousand posts, mine now being the last one.
The last couple of pages of the threads are from someone with the same problem I have, final drive seized to the driveshaft, although the amount of rust on mine is way less than his. As Jim Von Barden (the thread originator) points out, if the rear spline is seized, the front one must slide in and out with the rear suspension movement, which means the inner snapring, which is supposed to hold the front of the driveshaft to the gearbox output shaft, is being worked over severely and may be mangled. This might explain why I can't get the shaft to come off the gearbox output shaft.
I gave up, put everything back together, and called the dealer and explained the situation. He gave me a rough quote of $110 to $300 to service the driveshaft, which includes: remove it completely, re-lube both sets of splines, reassemble with plenty of sealant on the boots. He seemed very skeptical of the shaft being seized on the final drive input shaft, like he'd never heard of that happening. I rode the bike out there yesterday. They haven't started working on it yet, and won't until later this week. I asked if this would be covered under warranty, since the problem has obviously existed since way before the warranty expired. He said he'd see what he could do.
In the meantime, I'm worrying that the gearbox output shaft may be severely damaged and need replacing, which means replacing the gearbox internals (thanks BMW). Then I'm up for all the same stuff as Darrell had on his bike when the front universal joint exploded.
Sorry, I did not take any pictures except this one of the dirty water I pumped out of the bottom of the swingarm:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 06:51 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by mspratz - 12-29-2019, 12:29 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-15-2021, 06:16 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-04-2021, 08:09 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-24-2021, 07:04 AM