Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines
BMWMOA Consumer Liaison Rep's final email to me:

Michael - I spent some time on the 'phone yesterday afternoon with Lee Bencolese who is the owner of CycleWerks (CW) of Barrington, IL. As I mentioned in speaking with you earlier, I had been in contact with him on a prior occasion regarding another inquiry from a BMW MOA Member. He was helpful and forthcoming in that instance, and I expected nothing else this time.

I initially called him earlier yesterday, but he wanted to speak with the tech who worked on your bike before he spoke much about it. In our latest conversation, he had spoken with the tech and told me what the CW story was:

1) When you brought your RS to CW, your observation was that you were unable to separate the parts of the final drive in order to lubricate the splines. You advised CW of your discovery of water in the final drive enclosure. CW Tech then was able to separate the splines. Based on your statements and his observations, the CW Tech made an inquiry through the system BMW uses (for both cars and motorcycles) for technical issues. This system is called TSARA. The inquiry noted your observation of water in the enclosure and a possible hole in one of the boots, and your request that perhaps BMW would cover the work done under warranty. The CW Tech included photos of all pieces in the final drive.

2) Upon receipt and analysis the TSARA analyst noted first that the warranty had expired. Second he noted that historically, BMW R1200RS motorcycles of this vintage only show water entry to the final drive housing due to pressure washer usage or submersion in deep water while riding. The effect of either of those conditions is that grease is washed out, there is no lubrication and the "splines fail." The splines did not fail in your case, and both you and CW agree (I think) that they were in good condition when separated at CW. Third, the TSARA analyst denied warranty coverage for this repair, noting also (as you did to me) that there's no requirement in scheduled maintenance by BMW for any inspection of these parts.

3) Lee told me that CW told you of the TSARA submission, and of the result. You denied that you'd used a pressure washer on the bike. The bill for CW's work is for 4.2 hours of labor, some spline lube and a new (non-holed) boot, probably about $500+.

4) The fact that CW chose to make inquiry through the BMW/TSARA system shows the gravity with which they viewed this occurrence of water in a final-drive housing. It seems to happen rarely and the TSARA inquiry both alerts BMW to a problem and offers the opportunity for BMW to participate in the solution.

Summary: I'm in agreement with BMW NA's TSARA analyst and CW on this. It's unfortunate for you that BMW chose not get involved, but the low incidence of this type of failure was significant.

Thank you for your inquiry to the BMW MOA Consumer Liaison.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 06:51 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by mspratz - 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-15-2021, 06:16 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-04-2021, 08:09 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-24-2021, 07:04 AM