Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines
Alan you are smarter than I was earlier this year.

A few days after Christmas I decided to lube the rear spline on my 2019 R1250 RT. The 1250 currently has 17K mile on it.
I had previously lubed the rear spline on my 2015 RT when it had 30K miles on it and at the time the process was relatively easy.

When I dropped the final drive this year I had the same issue you did as the rear spline on my RT did not separate in the final drive. Unlike you I got more aggressive in my efforts to get the rear spline to separate.

Long story short I was too aggressive and the front spline separated from the transmission output shaft. After hours of trying to resolve the issue I called called my dealership and spoke with the owner. I asked him if they would send a mechanic to my house (50 miles away) to fix my "broken" bike. I told them basically I would pay whatever it takes. The service manager called me back that day and asked if I was handy. After telling him I was he gave me some tips on how to resolve the situation with the front spline, with the help of an assistant, myself. My wife and I tried but were not able to resolve the issue and reattach the front spline to the transmission output shaft.

I called the service manager back and asked a few question about changing the process to access the front spline through the front boot area. He was again very helpful and gave me the answers I was hoping would facilitate access to the front spline. In an effort to save our marriage and my posterior end Big Grin I called my brother to assist me.

After a few hours we were able to complete the task and reattached the front spline to the transmission. As we gentle lowered the final drive the rear spline detached in the process. There was no visible indication of any rust on the rear spline. Needless to say after numerous hours of work I was ecstatic the bike was no longer "broken".
The RT is back together and ready to go.

Suggestions to any who may have a similar experience:

Use a good penetration oil on the rear spline and let it sit overnight. I used PB Blaster.

Do not be too aggressive in trying to separate the rear spine unit.

The front spline does have a spring clip and it is not designed to move back and forth as the suspension moves. The rear spline does not have have a spring clip and is designed to move back and forth as the suspension moves.

Not all dealerships are strictly about the money and choosing a customer oriented dealership has made the difference for me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 06:51 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-15-2021, 06:16 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-04-2021, 08:09 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-24-2021, 07:04 AM