BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community
Posting quotes in threads - Printable Version

+- BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum)
+-- Forum: Noticeboard (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Posting quotes in threads (/thread-685.html)

Posting quotes in threads - Freddyfruitbat - 04-13-2022

Can anyone enlighten me how you include a quote (ie a previous post further up the thread) when you post here?

When I try to do this I get the following message:

You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them.

The red phrases are hyperlinked, but when I click on them nothing seems to happen. Any ideas please?

RE: Posting quotes in threads - Grumpy Goat - 04-13-2022

(04-13-2022, 07:53 AM)Freddyfruitbat Wrote: Can anyone enlighten me how you include a quote (ie a previous post further up the thread) when you post here?

Freddy - to quote a single post in your reply click the "Reply" button and proceed from there.

(04-13-2022, 07:53 AM)Freddyfruitbat Wrote: When I try to do this I get the following message:

You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them.

The red phrases are hyperlinked, but when I click on them nothing seems to happen. Any ideas please?

What you seem to want to do is select multiple posts for reply in a single reply post, by first clicking the icon with the "+" in it at the bottom of each post you wish to quote

and then clicking on "Quote these posts now" in the bottom of the "Quick Reply" box

I have never done this myself but when I tried it, it appears that for a brief instant there is a spinning icon suggesting action is being taken then ... nothing. The 2 options below the Quick Reply box are removed and all you are left with are red versions of the "+" icons but this time with a "-" in it. My first inclination is that a popup blocker is perhaps killing the operation but this is not the case. It may be a bug in the Forum software, which I will admit is not the latest version.

Workaround: Use a text editor on the side, and click "Reply" for each quote you wish to quote. Then copy the stuff starting with the [quote ...] and after the [/quote] blocks, in the text editor. You can then paste all the quotes back into the Quick Reply box, and then click "Preview Post" to get to both a preview and also a text editor web form.

I need to do an announcement post on quoting ... maybe when I get home this evening. Note - I moved this thread from "Off Topic" to "Announcements" for a better fit. Appreciate the consideration to put it in "Off Topic" in the first place. Smile

RE: Posting quotes in threads - Freddyfruitbat - 04-13-2022

Thanks GG!

I was clearly overcomplicating things - I can now see the "Reply" button does all that's necessary. Most forums I've used in the past have separate "Reply" and "Quote" buttons, whereas this one evidently combines the two functions. Having found the "+" icon, I thought that was the "Quote" function I was looking for (I can't really imagine wanting to quote numerous separate posts in a single post of my own, which is what the "+" seems to be for).

RE: Posting quotes in threads - Grumpy Goat - 04-13-2022

(04-13-2022, 11:48 AM)Freddyfruitbat Wrote: Thanks GG!

I can't really imagine wanting to quote numerous separate posts in a single post of my own, which is what the "+" seems to be for.

Big Grin I was wondering about that. I have only done something like that maybe a couple or three times in my life, over the donkeys years I’ve been posting on Internet fora as well as FidoNet BBSs before the Internet.