BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community
RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Printable Version

+- BMW R1200RS / R1250RS Forum Community (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum)
+-- Forum: Noticeboard (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://rswasserboxer.com/R1200RSforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! (/thread-723.html)

RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Grumpy Goat - 05-07-2022

RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete, and all appears to be working as expected. Time for a ride! Big Grin

The software still has a similar look and feel and that is a good thing. There are many new features in this version and you should feel free to explore and become familiar.

One new feature worth mentioning here is the quoted text in a reply - the default is to hide the HTMP markup codes. This means that it is easier to edit the quoted text accurately (and not have partial codes showing!)

Another feature is the navigation hierarchy at the upper left of each page - makes for a cleaner overall look and makes it easier to jump around and also to know where you are in the Forum Community.

Good news is, it all continues to be in English! Smile

Issues that have been fixed:
- All features that used to work before the PHP upgrade, but then were then broken after the PHP upgrade and before the Forum Software upgrade, e.g. Reply, Search, "View New Posts", "View Today's Posts", etc.
- Multiple quotes in replies (which was not working all along) is now working [note - the icon has changed slightly to a plus sign (+) with a callout"]

While I was at it, I made a few immediate changes. These include:
- User Location is now required at registration, and is displayed in the header of each post.

I will be making additional changes and improvements over time and these will be announced here.

Any major system events such as upgrades etc. will be done in the same way that this one was done - advance notice in this Forum a few days before, and a system down notice for the duration that Forum Community is down., and all appears to be working as expected. Time for a ride! Big Grin

The software still has a similar look and feel and that is a good thing. There are many new features in this version, and you should feel free to explore and become familiar.

One new feature worth mentioning here is the quoted text in a reply - the default is to hide the HTMP markup codes. This means that it is easier to edit the quoted text accurately (and not have partial codes showing!)

Another feature is the navigation hierarchy at the upper left of each page - makes for a cleaner overall look and makes it easier to jump around and also to know where you are in the Forum Community.

Good news is it all continues to be in English! Smile

Issues that have been fixed:
  • All features that used to work before the PHP upgrade, but then were then broken after the PHP upgrade and before the Forum Software upgrade, e.g. Reply, Search, "View New Posts", "View Today's Posts", etc.
  • Multiple quotes in replies (which was not working all along) is now working [note - the icon has changed slightly to a plus sign (+) with a callout"]

While I was at it, I made a few immediate changes. These include:
  • User Location is now required at registration, and is displayed in the header of each post.

I will be making additional changes and improvements over time and these will be announced here.

Any major system events such as upgrades etc. will be done in the same way that this one was done - advance notice in this Forum a few days before, and a system down notice for the duration that Forum Community is down.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Ray - 05-07-2022

(05-07-2022, 09:39 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete, and all appears to be working as expected. Time for a ride! Big Grin

Smile

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Pyrrho - 05-07-2022

One RS forum enjoys its last day of existence while the other is reborn... or in other words, the RS forum is dead, long live the RS forum!

Good job with the updates, GG, and thank you.

I typically use a "dark mode" browser extension, Dark Reader. Things all still look OK although some things are a bit less legible as the buttons are now either fully transparent or with a semi-transparent fade as opposed to their previous flat colors. There's an issue I'm observing with the header; it IMO needs more vertical space between logo graphic and the first line of links. When browser window is wide enough it's not an issue:

When the window is narrowed we get this:

Which I could see work given the right logo graphic it'd be partially overlaid on. With the large amount of white in the logo, however, it can potentially cause legibility issues depending on window width. In a dark mode it's worse:

I'd think adding an additional blank line's worth of space between the bottom of the graphic and the line of links would be great, if that's possible. If not and you're allowed to have a taller logo graphic, add that much vertical space in transparent pixels at the bottom of the logo to accomplish the same thing.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - TriangleRider - 05-07-2022

Huge thanks, GG!  The forum looks amazing.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Grumpy Goat - 05-07-2022

(05-07-2022, 11:01 AM)Pyrrho Wrote: One RS forum enjoys its last day of existence while the other is reborn... or in other words, the RS forum is dead, long live the RS forum!

Good job with the updates, GG, and thank you.

I typically use a "dark mode" browser extension, Dark Reader.

Thanks Craig, and yes the menu items under the header logo was bugging me, but I never thought of the Dark Mode appearance - thanks for the screenshots. Will work on fixing that.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Grumpy Goat - 05-07-2022

UPDATE: Vertical spacing between the header logo and the line of 5 links underneath is increased. Had to find the right stylesheet.  Rolleyes

Still intend to refresh the header logo ...

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Lee - 05-07-2022

My bookmark for this site is now working again.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Pyrrho - 05-07-2022

(05-07-2022, 02:38 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: UPDATE: Vertical spacing between the header logo and the line of 5 links underneath is increased. Had to find the right stylesheet.  Rolleyes

Still intend to refresh the header logo ...

You da man GG. Thank you.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Duccrazydave - 05-08-2022

Oooooh. A smooth new look. Nice, GG! The work it takes to improve and maintain this site is much appreciated.

RE: RSWB Forum Maintenance is now complete!! - Grumpy Goat - 05-08-2022

Thanks all.  Big Grin