Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farkles
Added a couple of items, recently, to the growing list of RS mods. First up is the OEM Sport seat. At first glance it seemed like it would be too high, giving that riding on, not in the bike feel. After covering aprox, 500 miles I've found that's not the case at all. My overall position height on the bike is only slightly different and the extra inseam room is much appreciated. On the highway there is a little more cushion. Even though the foam is on the firm side, there's just more of it. In the twisties it's less effort to weight the pegs for aggressive cornering since my knees are at less of an angle. And as I've mentioned in the classified post, this is a genuine Mr.Vvrroomm take off item, so it makes your bike 15% quicker Big Grin
The second thing I added/fixed, which has been bugging me the whole time I've owned the bike, is the small diameter grips! I've seen quite a few solutions in this group and finally decided to go with Grab On grips. They're slightly thinner than regular Grab On's and are made to install over the originals. Yesterday I covered 220 miles with them and the difference in hand fatigue, especially by the end of the ride was very noticeable.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-25-2020, 10:39 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: And as I've mentioned in the classified post, this is a genuine Mr.Vvrroomm take off item, so it makes your bike 15% quicker Big Grin
Big Grin
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
350 Chevy headers?
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(05-25-2020, 10:39 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: The second thing I added/fixed, which has been bugging me the whole time I've owned the bike, is the small diameter grips! I've seen quite a few solutions in this group and finally decided to go with Grab On grips. They're slightly thinner than regular Grab On's and are made to install over the originals. Yesterday I covered 220 miles with them and the difference in hand fatigue, especially by the end of the ride was very noticeable.

The thin grips bothered Debbie on the K1300S and especially bothered her when arthritis got in her hands. The foam grip covers really helped her.
When I got the R1200RS it had more handlebar vibration than I was used to so I put the grip covers on both of our bikes.
Works good.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Grab On grips question?

If the bike sits out in the rain an evening or even when the bike is washed do these grips soak up the moisture so they are wet until they dry out either from your gloves soaking up the moisture or air movement once the bike is moving?
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(05-25-2020, 02:32 PM)darrell Wrote: Grab On grips question?

If the bike sits out in the rain an evening or even when the bike is washed do these grips soak up the moisture so they are wet until they dry out either from your gloves soaking up the moisture or air movement once the bike is moving?
We have Grip Puppies, probably same material as Grab On.
It's closed cell foam so it only holds a little moisture on the surface.

Quote: Grip Puppies are the fastest, easiest, least expensive way to make your motorcycle more comfortable and your ride more enjoyable. They are 'over grips' that are specially designed to be installed over top of your existing handlebar grips. Each Grip Puppy is constructed of a unique, precision engineered foam that is both soft & squeezable for comfort, and durable and UV resistant for years of use. They are built for use in the sun and in the rain and will not retain water or get slippery (on the bars or on your hands) when wet.

Designed to reduce vibrations and make holding handlebars more comfortable.
Each Grip is hand finished to provide enhanced grip/texture.
The ends of the grips are hand radiused for a neat, comfortable rounded finish, and to wear better over time.
They work well with heated grips.
Rock solid when installed, a simple and very effective solution
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(05-25-2020, 11:55 AM)Lee Wrote: 350 Chevy headers?

Right on, Lee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(05-25-2020, 02:32 PM)darrell Wrote: Grab On grips question?

That is a very good question, and the one thing that made me not fit them.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(05-25-2020, 02:36 PM)Lee Wrote: We have Grip Puppies, probably same material as Grab On.
It's closed cell foam so it only holds a little moisture on the surface.

OK, that is good to know. I expect the Grab On grips would be similar ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(05-25-2020, 11:55 AM)Lee Wrote: 350 Chevy headers?
...eye for detail.

Although the big grips are all the rage at our shop, they are not for everybody.

Thanks to years of accidental injury in martial arts and skiing, I run plenty of arthritis in my hands and especially the base of my thumb - skier's thumb. My thumb/wrist doesn't tolerate a lot of palmar abduction - the motion necessary to wrap a big grip, so I like the thinner grip that I keep wedged at the base of my thumb with My 4th and 5th fingers lightly wrapped around the top of the grip (leaving index and usually middle finger to brake duty). That's a pretty relaxed and natural position that's hard to shake loose.

In the end everyone with arthritis will have slightly different pattern. If one's in it for the long miles, then never a bad idea to catch up with a sports medicine-oriented physical therapist to review hand, knee, foot, and body position in action. If they don't want to see you on your bike, find someone else...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I just replaced my grip puppies on the RS yesterday and added them to the Himie. Required accessory in my opinion. I get tired wrapping around the skinny grips.
Nothing like resurrecting a 2+ year old thread, huh?

Just wanted to add an endorsement for Grip Puppies. The thin stock grips began to get to me as I closed in on 1,000 miles with the new RS, so I ordered/installed a set prior on Saturday and what a difference!

Luckily, I don't have any of the arthritic conditions Ray describes above, but I have big paws (usually XXL gloves) and the Puppies fill the hand very well, even to the extent that it even seems easier to reach the turn signal with my thumb (shorter reach, I guess).

IMHO, worth a look for $20 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Comfor...703&sr=8-3
KC Area
I use these on my bikes. https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/ I find they increase the size of my grips just enough to be more comfortable for my large size palms. YMMV
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Be stubborn with your dream but flexible with your path
How much do the grip wraps affect heated grip function?
(06-07-2022, 05:48 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: How much do the grip wraps affect heated grip function?

I haven't tested it yet, but the exotic foam isn't supposed to form any sort of barrier between the grip heaters and your hands.  You just end up grabbing onto warm foam, I'd imagine.  Can't imagine that's not the case (at the risk of the double negative).
KC Area
(06-07-2022, 05:48 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: How much do the grip wraps affect heated grip function?

The foam feels as warm as the grip. There may be a slight delay to warm up the foam but I have not noticed it.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

The grip covers delay the heating process a bit.
(06-07-2022, 09:21 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: The grip covers delay the heating process a bit.

That was my thought as well. Also, since foam (or more precisely, the entrapped air is also) an insulator I would bet that the heat felt at the glove would be less through the Grip Puppies than if there was direct contact between the bare rubber (also an insulator) handgrips. That is the tradeoff, I guess for more comfort especially one has large hands. No tradeoff if the heated grips are never used, or course.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Reviving the thread gave me the opportunity to review what a solid mechanic and motorcyclist like Dave comsiders "farkles:"

An OEM seat and grip puppies.... That's it? For a lot of us, a complete bike right out of the crate.
(06-07-2022, 10:01 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 09:21 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: The grip covers delay the heating process a bit.

That was my thought as well. Also, since foam (or more precisely, the entrapped air is also) an insulator I would bet that the heat felt at the glove would be less through the Grip Puppies than if there was direct contact between the bare rubber (also an insulator) handgrips. That is the tradeoff, I guess for more comfort especially one has large hands. No tradeoff if the heated grips are never used, or course.

It would be easy for someone to check if they have a infrared thermometer gun.
I don't have one.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport