Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Tail of the Dragon overrated?
I first rode the dragon about 20 years ago when the RA had their national rally in Fontana. Every who has ridden the dragon know that it is a long great string of relatively "tight" curves. What surprised most then was the fact that the inside lane often had a distinctly different slope than the out side lane so if you wander across lanes (as I often do) you lean angle must change abruptly. I thoroughly enjoy riding it several times.

I've been back thru there a few times since. Now, I've found the pavement better, I did not notice the old difference in slope of the two lanes, found a lot more traffic so passing was need to enjoy the road ( it is not a good road to pass on ...so bit scary. I do love the tree of motorcycle bits, the very enterprising gift shop, and the opportunity to sit back and view a disparate group of bikes and riders. Riding it is not as much fun now... but still good!

The last time I was in the area a couple of years ago, I passed up on the dragon to take the Cherhola Parkway (less traffic, better views, lots of high speed sweepers) . I like this better mainly due to the less traffic so you can really ride the road as it needs to be ridden.

There are lots of side roads in the area that are GREAT...just wander off the well traveled routes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Tail of the Dragon overrated? - by Olgry1 - 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM
RE: Is the Tail of the Dragon overrated? - by Olgry1 - 06-18-2019, 05:50 AM
RE: Is the Tail of the Dragon overrated? - by VTBob - 06-27-2019, 05:51 AM
RE: Is the Tail of the Dragon overrated? - by Lee - 07-11-2019, 04:13 PM