Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 R1250RS ... will it come in Triple Black?!
(11-14-2022, 08:14 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(11-13-2022, 11:14 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: Be on the lookout for "GPS ready", if they do away with GPS, then the Connected App and a smart phone is used for navigation and that does not work as well as a Nav VI.

I would guess that is the future, especially with the tendency of the Nav VI screens to give up the ghost. Big Grin 

That said it is a darned shame that they cannot yet solve these issues with the Connected App and the TFT. I am basing this on what others have said online, of course, as I have no direct knowledge, but I have no reason to doubt it.

I bought a 2022 K1600 GT a month ago, it has the large TFT and no provisions for a GPS.  Navigation is dependent on the TFT being connected to a smart phone.

The TFT is not a touch screen, any GPS is a touch screen, plus, the wonder wheel can be used to "tell" the BMW Nav what to do.  With the large TFT, you don't have ANY of this, none.  Any action you want to take on navigation must be done through the smart phone screen.  Think carefully about this, let it sink in.  ALL navigation interaction must take place through the touch screen of a smart phone.

When you are riding the bike, there is no way to communicate with navigation.  You have to stop, take the phone wherever you have stored it, take it in your hands, and touch the screen to give it ANY instructions.  Restaurant, gas station, intersection, stop the route, skip a way point.  It doesn't matter, anything, you have to stop and take the phone in your hands.

BMW cannot fix this by just changing the programming code, it is embedded in the design.  You gotta get to your phone.

I worked around this by installing a Garmin Sumo XT on my GT.  I'll post a picture later.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023 R1250RS ... will it come in Triple Black?! - by runnerhiker - 11-14-2022, 05:02 PM