Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative photochromic helmet visor for a fraction of the price ...
(11-17-2022, 04:16 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: I have the genuine Shoei photo chromatic shield and it works as you have mentioned, mine has not lost tinting ability.  But I stopped using it because it gave everything a rose colored tint that never became unnoticeable for me - I was always aware of it, I could always see it.  And on the video above, I thought I saw that effect also when you picked up this shield from your truck and the light colored driveway was behind the shield.

Otherwise, a great idea, just not for me.

Yes, use of a photochromic shield may not be for everyone but if you do ride in changing light conditions (i.e. night to bright sunshine as in commuting in a northern climate) and you can't be bothered to be changing visors (or doing the even more absurd and illegal riding with a tinted visor at night!) then it makes a whole lotta sense.

As for the residual tint - I think that I can go so far as to say that yes, when any photochromic shield is in its night-time mode, it would still have a slight tint to it. Makes no difference riding in the night, mind, but if you hold a piece of white paper behind it, you will see the slight tint. 

I believe it was Shoei who said that after their visor's 2-year lifespan the tint tends to be darker than when new, i.e. it does not go back to "clear". I can attest to that. Does it mean that nighttime riding is impeded - not to me. Note that I did not remember seeing any comment from them on the loss of darkening capability and my Shoei visor still darkened enough to be usable in the Texas sun. Is it as dark as when new ... maybe, maybe not. This is not rocket science ...  Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternative photochromic helmet visor for a fraction of the price ... - by Grumpy Goat - 11-18-2022, 09:50 AM