Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads
I don't know what gods I must have pissed off today...

I was attempting to change my final drive oil for the first time. I've done it before on my old R1100R multiple times without issue and was trying to be extra super careful. After letting it drain for a bit, running some clean fresh oil thru (and draining), I then went to reinstall the drain plug.

I did this as carefully as I possibly could. Starting the threads by hand and going by hand as long as I could. Eventually, I needed a rachet and slowly and smoothly cranked it until it was snug. I had written notes beforehand and my notes said it needed 20ft/lb of torque!!! I realize now that was supposed to be 20Nm! (god I hate that there are two measuring systems for the same things...). A quick maths check tells me that 20Nm is roughly 14.75ft/lbs.

When I was tightening, I thought it felt like too much force, so I used my torque wrench to check the pressure, which at the time was roughly 10ft/lbs, and I slowly, 1ft/lb at a time, worked my way up to around 18lb/ft at which point I really didn't feel comfortable tightening any further, and already suspected I had done something wrong. I had tightened to something like 24-27Nm. At this point, I decided to back the bolt out and inspect and sure enough, I saw the worst, little bits of threading came out with the plug.

Now - I'm stuck and afraid to move forward. Visual inspection of the bottom of the housing shows the very outermost thread was damaged, likely sheared off the bottom 1/4" of threading. The rest of the threads look fine however when I attempt to reseat the plug, I can only get a couple of turns by hand before it jams.

No clue what to do next. I don't want to force the plug in place and wind up stripping the rest of the threads. I also don't have access to die taps or similar tools to re-do the threads.

Oh, and the main reason for doing the maintenance now, is that my fiance just totalled our car (it was an accident) so I needed to make sure the bike was all set to be my only vehicle for now... So I'm really in a jam now - without this bike, I'm pretty much stranded.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Below are some photos of what I'm looking at.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Current: 2016 R1200RS
Non-Op: 1997 R1100R
Retired Angel : 2016 S1000RR

Messages In This Thread
Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by SoCalR1200RS - 01-28-2023, 05:33 PM
RE: Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by Lee - 01-29-2023, 08:27 AM
RE: Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by Lee - 01-29-2023, 02:03 PM
RE: Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by Ray - 01-29-2023, 02:30 PM
RE: Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by Lee - 01-29-2023, 05:09 PM
RE: Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by Lee - 02-09-2023, 09:19 AM
RE: Stripped Final Drive Drain Threads - by Ray - 02-10-2023, 08:38 AM