Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles
Sad 
My name is Jeff and I’m new to this forum. My bike is a 2018 R1200RS and has 12,200 miles on it. I love the bike but have just run into some issues. Had a new front tire put on the bike 3 days ago and the person changing the tire pointed out a flat spot on one side of my rim. I’ve never hoped any curves, hit any objects or pot holes. Rim has no dings or scratches and old tire has no marks on it. Dealer where I bought the bike says this is a common problem and will cost around $350 or more to repair. I’m not accepting that and have started a complaint with corporate today.

This dealer did my 600 mile service and I did the 6,000 mile service. I was suspect of the type of people in their service department as there was 2 drain plug gaskets on when I removed the bolt. I also needed a cheater to break loose the bolt and also to remove the filter.

I had noticed pinging from the engine that started within the last 500-1,000 miles. Today as I went to do my 12,000 mile service I removed the left valve cover and was getting ready to check the valve clearance when I noticed considerable wear on the forward intake valve lobe (picture attached).

I put it back together and have an appointment at a different BMW dealer for the next day they are open. I’m expecting both my issues to get resolved or I will no longer be a BMW motorcycle owner ?. My last BMW was a 1976 R 100 which had no problems the entire time I owned the bike.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles - by DoctorJ - 07-27-2019, 09:34 AM
RE: Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles - by Olgry1 - 07-27-2019, 07:25 PM
RE: Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles - by Olgry1 - 08-03-2019, 05:54 AM