Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major service at 20K query
My bike has reached 20k KM and is due for a major service. As it is still under warranty I thought I would schedule an appointment. I am a self maintainer. The last time I had a BMW bike in for service was in 1988. While going over what is to be done in a 20K service, the service sales rep added the left and right head cover gaskets to the estimate. At a cost of $220 Canadian dollars my eyes opened up a bit. He justified this by saying they may need to be replaced. I thought this was odd at the time. The head cover gaskets on my R1150RS lasted 12 years before I decided to replace them, and even then they never leaked a drop of oil. These head covers have been off only once before, during the initial 1000K service. Thinking about it later in the evening I began to get annoyed. There is simply no logical reason for a two year old bike to require new gaskets, yet I was asked sign off on authorizing their replacement. If those gaskets started to leak today, they would be replaced under warranty. If they leak after the service they should be replaced under warranty as well. The service schedule doesn't list these gaskets as an item that requires replacement. The more I thought about it, the more annoyed I became. I will have them removed from the estimate before handing over the bike. Right now I am convinced this is simply padding the bill with an item that should be covered by the warranty. But I was wondering if this is common practice? Has anyone required or been charged for a head cover gasket while under warranty?

Messages In This Thread
Major service at 20K query - by Son of Sam - 09-03-2019, 10:43 PM
RE: Major service at 20K query - by Grumpy Goat - 09-04-2019, 05:44 AM
RE: Major service at 20K query - by darrell - 09-04-2019, 06:31 AM
RE: Major service at 20K query - by Lee - 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM
RE: Major service at 20K query - by Son of Sam - 09-06-2019, 04:07 PM