Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines
(01-03-2020, 05:26 PM)mspratz Wrote: I just spoke the the dealer's service manager. They have removed the driveshaft. The tech had to drive a metal wedge between universal joint and the end of the final drive input shaft to separate the two. There was significant corrosion at both ends, but he says there is not significant pitting of the splines and everything is in good shape.

WOW! Drive a metal wedge - you know that means banging on it with a hammer as well! Good that they are doing that and not you, eh?! At least after this there will be lots of lube and hopefully lots of silicone sealant.

(01-03-2020, 05:26 PM)mspratz Wrote: I am going out there tomorrow to have a look at it before they put it back together.

Great! PLEASE DO take photos of the shaft end and the final drive input as well and post here. This is the most significant problem with these bikes that I know of, and this thread alone has made this RWSb forum and website worthwhile for me.

(01-03-2020, 05:26 PM)mspratz Wrote: He has submitted it to BMW as a warranty job, and is hoping they will pay for at least half of it. He says the total bill will be about $500.00 if BMW does not pay any.

I suppose it could be worse ... but that is a pretty crappy unexpected expense I the first place.

(01-03-2020, 05:26 PM)mspratz Wrote: BMW are suggesting that I must have ridden it through deep water or used a pressure washer for water to end up inside the swing arm, neither of which I have ever done. He and I agreed that it was more likely that my bike was built on a Tuesday (supposedly the worst day for vehicle build quality) during Oktoberfest, because the grease they use to seal the boots only went about halfway around each of the boots on my bike, so there was no seal. He said he told BMW that the bike is pristine.

See that there is a BS statement that would cause me to walk from the brand. These shaft drives are on GSs, FFS, and they are designed to ford streams etc. That is in the freaking name! What they are saying is an admission that their drivetrains are weak, then. I am not having that, that's for sure. Angry

(01-03-2020, 05:26 PM)mspratz Wrote: I asked him how often he advises servicing the driveshaft. He said he does the splines on his K1600 every 12,000 miles. I'm adding it to my service schedule spreadsheet.
I'll post again tomorrow when I've had a look. I'll try to take pictures if I have the opportunity.

I think that adding the BS driveshaft servicing is a sound idea and I will be doing the same. I will likely do it annually or ever 12k miles, whichever comes first.

Looking forward to the pictures.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 06:51 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-27-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Grumpy Goat - 01-03-2020, 05:59 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-15-2021, 06:16 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-04-2021, 08:09 AM
RE: Drive Shaft seized on the final drive splines - by Olgry1 - 03-24-2021, 07:04 AM