Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools / Recommendations needed for RS
(09-22-2020, 11:23 AM)1010Eastwood Wrote: This is my first BMW motorcycle. Previously I have owned a few Japanese bikes and a few Harleys. I would not be so bold as to do any work much more technical than oil and fluid changes. Maybe swap out headlight lamps etc...That said, removal of body parts to access mechanicals would require a set of tools like? A set of torx drivers consisting of what range is practical? I own a socket set with metric sockets ( no torx other than the T-45 ) and a couple wrenches, but are there sizes that are often used? I will take my bike to BMW trained mechanic for any serious tune ups or mechanical issues in the future.
Thank you.
Good man. My mantra the last 5 years has been, Wrench less; ride more.

In this context, I apologize for posting my list - not what you had in mind. (My colleagues will tell you that I'm off the bike for two months to recover from an injury from mountain bike training, so I'm falling into the trap of posting too much junk online.)

Although the under-seat toolkit has been much maligned by old BMW airhead riders (who used to carry spare drive shafts in grease-packed PVC pipes and perform all sorts of on-road mechanical service with their OEM tool kits) I believe you'll find the kit has enough to address the fasteners for the body work.

That said, Lee's addition of a 6 mm hex for the final drive oil, a 10 mm hex for the oil drain plug, and a filter remover with appropriate wrench seems appropriate for your stated needs. (Note that the driver can be inserted through the handle to give extra leverage while removing the oil fill plug.)

Might be good to take the tools you have under the seat, and run around the bike to see what you might want. Unless you have a lot of aftermarket bits, doesn't sound like it would take long or result in much, if any, extra tools.

If you want a good torx set - here's a photo of the one Lee keeps under his seat and references above. (Not a bad idea to invest. You might find it useful around the home.)

"A good man always knows his limitations...."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tools / Recommendations needed for RS - by Ray - 09-23-2020, 02:39 PM
Tools / recommendations needed for RS - by Ray - 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM