Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorcycle tire delamination
In his YouTube update the poster says he got the following from Conti (who blamed him for the failure) "The official recommendation is to break-in the tire at moderate speeds for 100 km before going higher speeds."

Here is what Conti says on their site:
https://www.continental-tires.com/motorc...-tires/faq

"Due to the production process, and release agents often used in the tire molds, new tires have a smooth, slippery surface that must first be roughened by moderate running-in. Only when the surface structure has been broken in can the tire build up its maximum grip.

Even if Continental's "TractionSkin" technology contributes greater safety during initial riding, it is necessary for the rider to condition the tires for the requirements of high-performance motorcycles by applying moderate, uniform stress during the break-in period and thereby preventing tire damage. During the break-in period (approximately 150 km / 100 mi), heavy acceleration and braking, extreme lean angles and high-speed riding should be avoided. Also, tire stickers should have been removed from the tire.

Each new tire requires a few operating temperature cycles to ensure full grip and tire stability. Furthermore, the tire should be warmed up each time you start a new ride."

So, tires with "TractionSkin" are delivered still requiring some final processing and it is up to the rider to do this properly. I think I prefer my tires to be fully baked before putting them on my ride.

Messages In This Thread
Motorcycle tire delamination - by Grumpy Goat - 04-13-2021, 08:36 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Olgry1 - 04-13-2021, 09:51 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Ray - 04-13-2021, 01:32 PM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Grumpy Goat - 04-13-2021, 10:06 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by TriangleRider - 04-14-2021, 07:30 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Grumpy Goat - 04-14-2021, 09:58 AM