Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlop Roadsmart IV Tires 10,000-Mile Test (Rider Magazine)
(07-10-2021, 06:48 AM)Lee Wrote: Ray, what is the center-most rear measurement and the center front measurement?

2.6 mm front center (3/32 inch)

3.3 mm rear (4/32 inch)

(Measurement were taken next to central wear indicators.)

Last night, simply curious as to how much I have left (though I recall Darrell reported accelerated wear the last few thousand miles).

(Dates of manufacture for mine - 42/20 front and 20/20 rear.)

From Darrell's data on the RS IV:

Tread depth is measured in 4 spots in each of 3 areas around the tire in the order of 1” from left sidewall, center, and 1” from right sidewall. Depths listed may be slightly more the number listed but less than the whole number above the listed number.

Tire pressures are check and adjusted if necessary every 2 days regardless of miles rode. Pressures are checked in the morning before riding so tires are cold. Pressures are maintained at psi 38 front and 42 rear. Using a calibrated dial gauge for pressure checks.
September 14, 2020
Mileage at 113326 - Prior Lake, MN
6326 miles on tires
Front - 4.5, 3.0, 4.5
Rear - 6.5, 4.0, 6.5 (5.0 depth in tear drop near center of tire)
Road conditions - about 1600 of the 2277 miles were on 2 lane roads in the Rocky Mountains riding at an accelerated pace with many miles on tighter curvy roads. The remaining approximately 677 miles were mostly 2 lane roads across the central plains finishing with 100 miles on 4 lane roads that were very flat with few curves. The roads were mostly well worn asphalt.
Speeds - the majority of miles were run at 50 - 75 mph. 70% were run in the higher range of these speeds.
Temperature/Weather - ranged from 40 to 95 with the 50% of the time in the high 70's and low 80's and the remaining 50% in the 40 - 65 range. I did cross Monarch Pass in Colorado at 11,312 ft with about 12 miles at a temperature of 28 degrees, thick fog, blowing snow and what I assumed was some black ice. Felt comfortable at 35 - 40 mph in these conditions.

Darrell’s comments [at 6000 miles] - I remain totally surprised at the wear characteristics of the front tire. There is very minimal cupping developing with no affect on handling. The front tire has maintained a very round profile which has allowed handling to be as it was when new. The rear tire has started to develop a slightly flatter center profile but not to the point it affects handling in the curves. Probably not unusual considering some the flatter roads I rode at speeds of 70 - 80 across the central US plains.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dunlop Roadsmart IV Tires 10,000-Mile Test (Rider Magazine) - by Ray - 07-10-2021, 09:14 AM