Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation of my "new-to-me" muffler
Well I took the muffler off, disassembled all the bits including the springs, loose fit it back into place so that I was sure to get the mid pipe at the right angle so there was no bending strain on the system. There was no change from before. I slackened the screws in the slotted holes on the bracket so that the muffler could move rearward or forward along its longitudinal axis, and then test fitted the heat shield.

Long story short, when the muffler was slid forward as far as it would go, the heat shield looked as it did in the video - no change.

When the muffler was slid rearward as far as the slots would allow, the trailing edge of the heat shield was totally clear of the forward "cone" of the muffler (like Dave's) but the more-or-less square cut trailing edge was the wrong angle when compared to the leading edge of the muffler "cone".

This bugged me even more than the shortness of the heat shield, so I employed the use of some masking tape, like so:

And then made the decision to cut off the offending material, and the final result was this:

The heat shield no longer looks like a design SNAFU. From a distance it looks fine to my eyes:

Next time I have the rear wheel off, I will slide the muffler forward in the slotted holes and get an even better look - Like Dave's.

Problem solved.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installation of my "new-to-me" muffler - by Olgry1 - 01-04-2019, 06:16 AM
RE: Installation of my "new-to-me" muffler - by Grumpy Goat - 01-05-2019, 07:50 PM