Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor
(01-05-2022, 07:53 PM)mspratz Wrote: The front sensor on my 2016 RS was faulty from the day I rode it home. I would see --- about 90% of the time, and a reading 10%. The dealer replace it under warranty, but for most of the mechanic's test ride it was working, and it only cut out at the end, so that was lucky. Recently I saw the --- again a couple of times from the front sensor. I guess I might be up for a new one soon.

Unless there was a way to test whether the "---" reading means low battery or a fault on the sensor's circuitry, it would be easier to assume that it was due to a low battery and replace it at cost under warranty, especially if the failure rate (out of the dealership) was low.

Root cause could be that these sensors are sitting idle in the parts bin common to several models, until they are installed on the assembly line. Maybe they sit for years inside the sensor after sitting for some time on the shelf at Maxell (or whoever is the supplier). The voltage does not have to drop too far before the "---" is shown.

I was also thinking ... if the sensors have to be "woken up" (using a wake up tool or a GS-911), maybe the "---" could also mean that they have somehow "gone to sleep", and rather than replace the sensor right off the bat, maybe first try and wake it up and if that fails then replace the battery or the whole sensor.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor - by darrell - 08-08-2019, 03:41 PM
RE: Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor - by Lee - 01-02-2022, 08:41 AM
RE: Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor - by darrell - 01-02-2022, 12:47 PM
RE: Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor - by mspratz - 01-05-2022, 07:53 PM
RE: Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor - by Grumpy Goat - 01-06-2022, 08:09 AM
RE: Replacing Front Wheel RDC Sensor - by Lee - 01-07-2022, 08:23 AM