Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another great sport tourer - 2022 Suzuki GSX-1000S GT/GT+
(04-27-2022, 04:30 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: Price differentials with luxury items such as BMWs are divorced from practicality. If you're not familiar, check out Veblen goods -- with luxury items, increased price alone can drive consumer interest because of many factors: rarity, status, conspicuousness, etc.

I was not familiar with Veblen goods until now … thanks for pointing that out. I would suggest that the phenomena not only applies to luxury goods. I was a long time buyer of Hyundai cars and watched their quality improve over the years until they became equivalent to Japanese. One of the things Hyundai did at just the right time, was raised the prices across the line so that they were pretty much on par with Honda, Toyota etc. Sales took off as people felt that they must be just as good.

(04-27-2022, 04:30 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: The excess that is never used is often an internal justification for purchase, with considerations completely divorced from reality. If some Starbucks-hopper bought a GS because they want to be viewed like Boorman or McGregor yet they never ride it off asphalt -- but it fulfills their self- and projected-image goals (possibly the primary reason they bought the bike at all) is that a waste, or money well spent?

I guess. It depends on the individual. People make purchases based on different reasons, not all of them smart. Lots of posers fit that description. BUT, if they are pleased as a result and they can afford it then their purchase is successful for them.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another great sport tourer - 2022 Suzuki GSX-1000S GT/GT+ - by Grumpy Goat - 04-27-2022, 05:14 PM