Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting a Garmin XT2 in a BMW GPS mount
I'm cross-posting a thread I created in the BMWMOA Wetheads forum because it would be a minor pita to reproduce it here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php...ost1317014

Grumpy, if cross-posting is not allowed here, please delete this thread!
Very nice write up Mark. Are you able to access the new XT2 via the wunderwheel or is that functionality lost in the change over?
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Thanks.  Nope on the Wonderwheel.  That was the #1 trade-off for the better GPS. 

Personally, I am ok with that.  The primary thing I used the wheel for with a Nav V or Nav VI was zoom in/out --it was very convenient.  But for everything else I used the touchscreen, so for me it's not a big deal to also have to touch the screen for zooming.
Have the same GPS and identical mount. Works well, although it's a little bit of finger maneuvering to get the GPS off the mount as you have to dig between back of the GPS and the BMW cradle enclosure to press the release button. Can't do it with gloves on but there's really no other way, considering how the XT2's release mechanism works.

You lose handlebar control and the bike status screen but neither are a significant loss that should deter you from a superior satnav in every other way. Screen is so much brighter, it's signficiantly faster in performance, and has more functionality. The "great rides" feature that can provide a map overlay of rides other motorcyclists take frequently is practically worth the price of the unit alone. I've gone on several all-day runs where I pick a direction and just let the GPS chart a route plotting along suggested great rides. After my first I was patting the unit thinking of how pleased I was with my purchase.

The Tread app could use some work UI-wise but it does what it says. Plot a course on the web app, it syncs to my phone app and then to the GPS automatically the next time I get on the bike. Only downside is the Tread app must be manually reconnected to the XT2 via some taps on the satnav each time, whereas the Nav VI reconnects automatically. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong but I haven't found any settings that would change that behavior.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
(12-22-2023, 10:10 PM)MHN-RS Wrote: I'm cross-posting a thread I created in the BMWMOA Wetheads forum because it would be a minor pita to reproduce it here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php...ost1317014

Generally it is not allowed, since it is redirecting traffic away to a competitor platform (as opposed to, for example, a link to Amazon, etc.). Since I am an MOA member and so far the MOA is a significant reason I still own BMWs, I will allow it this time.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I would get this Garmin Zumo XT2 if my current Nav VI fails (again) and Garmin no longer replaces it at no extra charge to me. I have the Nav VI mounted to my RS and like the jog wheel functionality, and I also have a mount on the Tiger so I can use it there (where I miss the jog wheel functionality).

BMW keeps pushing these cellphone-based solutions while ignoring the need for an improved jog-wheel controlled GPS and that irritates me. I like the dedicated GPS and am fully well aware that cell phones can be used for GPS (and that there are even navigation apps that work off downloaded maps) but I prefer to have a satellite-based solution.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(12-23-2023, 04:58 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 10:10 PM)MHN-RS Wrote: I'm cross-posting a thread I created in the BMWMOA Wetheads forum because it would be a minor pita to reproduce it here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php...ost1317014

Generally it is not allowed, since it is redirecting traffic away to a competitor platform (as opposed to, for example, a link to Amazon, etc.). Since I am an MOA member and so far the MOA is a significant reason I still own BMWs, I will allow it this time.

I didn't know you felt that way. I've done it plenty of times.
Is it not allowed to post links from the R1200RS forum?
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(12-23-2023, 05:33 PM)Lee Wrote: I didn't know you felt that way. I've done it plenty of times.
Is it not allowed to post links from the R1200RS forum?

I noticed but elected not to comment since it was not at all frequent, and the discussion continued to flow in the thread on this Forum so no harm no foul. But it is a rule of thumb of netiquette. Don't worry about it.

Lets continue the discussion here on the topic ... its an interesting one.

One thing that popped into my mind is, why not pull the BMW cradle altogether and switch over to the XT2 mount? It would at least make removal easier. I think that's what I would do if I had to switch over.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(12-23-2023, 09:21 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: One thing that popped into my mind is, why not pull the BMW cradle altogether and switch over to the XT2 mount? It would at least make removal easier. I think that's what I would do if I had to switch over.

That would certainly be easier, but the GPS would not be secured against theft.  I kept the BMW cradle and went with Kristopher Ryan's adapter kit to be able to keep the BMW-keyed locking functionality.  This also meant I don't have to remember to remove and store an unsecured GPS during stops (which I can guarantee I would forget multiple times). And removal from the BMW cradle is not a problem -- the Garmin release is just as easy to get to as the OE Nav VI release. I didn't even think about it when I was taking the pics and had to take it out of the mount twice.

I don't believe my approach is better than any other.  It is just one way to do it.
(12-23-2023, 09:39 PM)MHN-RS Wrote: That would certainly be easier, but the GPS would not be secured against theft.  

That is true. I guess I was just thinking in terms of one adapter on top of another mount as being a bit cumbersome. The mount I have on the Tiger is not lockable and I always remember when leaving the tiger with the GPS mounted, to take the GPS with me or lock it in the top box.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(12-23-2023, 09:21 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: One thing that popped into my mind is, why not pull the BMW cradle altogether and switch over to the XT2 mount? It would at least make removal easier. I think that's what I would do if I had to switch over.

That's what I did with my XT. Much neater installation and second nature to stuff the XT in my helmet when I leave the bike. Locking devices are available, of course.
Colin
2021 R1250RS SE
Washington UK
(12-23-2023, 09:39 PM)MHN-RS Wrote:

I kept the BMW cradle and went with Kristopher Ryan's adapter kit to be able to keep the BMW-keyed locking functionality.  This also meant I don't have to remember to remove and store an unsecured GPS during stops (which I can guarantee I would forget multiple times). 

I like having the GPS locked. At stops we always leave our GPS units on the bikes and sometimes at nights I'll leave them on with a small cover over the GPS.
On the K1300S we did not have locks for the GPSs. On those bikes if we could not see the bikes at stops I would remove the GPS.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(12-24-2023, 08:24 AM)Lee Wrote: I like having the GPS locked. At stops we always leave our GPS units on the bikes and sometimes at nights I'll leave them on with a small cover over the GPS.
On the K1300S we did not have locks for the GPSs. On those bikes if we could not see the bikes at stops I would remove the GPS.

Unless I am at a very short stop in a known safe location (e.g. my "secure" parking garage at the office) or with a clear line of sight, I remove my GPS, even though it is locked onto the cradle. I take no chances with a $1k GPS on the bike. I am sure that the lock is easy to pick.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(12-24-2023, 11:23 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Unless I am at a very short stop in a known safe location (e.g. my "secure" parking garage at the office) or with a clear line of sight, I remove my GPS, even though it is locked onto the cradle. I take no chances with a $1k GPS on the bike. I am sure that the lock is easy to pick.

Your approach is more secure than mine, if somewhat less convenient in day-to-day riding (which is perfectly ok - removing yours obviously is not a significant inconvenience for you).  

We all decide what is the balance we're willing to accept of convenience. vs. risk (defined as probability times consequences).  In my case, I kept the locking mount primarily to deter the opportunistic "see and grab it" thief looking to fund their next meth hit.  I recognize, and am willing to accept, the pretty low risk of a determined attack by someone with patience and the skills to do it (and the chutzpah to do it in an open public area).  Of course, this is not an "always" or "never" matter -- if I'm in a high-risk environment (e.g., overnight parking at a motel during a trip) I also remove my GPS.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against removing a GPS at every stop, just providing one option for those deciding how they want to mount an XT2.
(12-24-2023, 03:05 PM)MHN-RS Wrote: Again, I'm not arguing for or against removing a GPS at every stop, just providing one option for those deciding how they want to mount an XT2.

I fully agree with you, and BTW I am not at all criticizing your modification. Sounds like you think I am. Huh

All modifications are important to the people making the modifications for themselves, and anyone who criticizes anyone for doing so does not belong on this forum. Wink

I like to encourage the sharing and documenting of mods such as this on this site since it was precisely setup for that reason - to share useful knowledge about the RS (in particular). So don't worry about how your project is received. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I thought your post about making the mod was really useful. I'm happy with my Garmin Nav VI but at some point might need to change so excellent info ?
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
No problem Grumpy!  I used to moderate a forum, so I go out of my way to make sure things *don't* go down the tubes.  I didn't interpret your comments negatively.

Best,
Mark
(12-24-2023, 08:08 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: I thought your post about making the mod was really useful. I'm happy with my Garmin Nav VI but at some point might need to change so excellent info ?

I agree, good post.
I've seen plenty of posts of people giving up on the Nav VI after having it replaced several times and have moved on to other GPS units.
Being able to still use the OEM cradle is a plus.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport