Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MY NEW RS
Greetings from New Jerseyl.  

I just ordered a 2024 RS and am waiting for it to come in.  While I'm waiting, I've been thinking about a few items to add off the bat.

-A smoke or dark shield would look better to me.  Probably one that's a bit taller too. Any suggestions (I'm 5'-11" with a 32" inseam)?
-I own a pair of Shad S36 saddle bags and I see that Shad makes mounting hardware for the RS.  My biggest complaint about the Shad mounting hardware on my old bike was that it   looked  bulky with the bags off.  Does anyone have this set up on their RS? And what do you think of it,  Should I just sell the bags and go with the BMW offerings?
-I see that BMW offers round bars that are a bit wider than the stockers.  I see many advantages to round bars, but are they worth the extra cost?
-My bikes have all had rear luggage racks.  I like the look and usefulness of a rear rack.  Should I go with BMW or an aftermarket piece like GIVI, SW Motech, etc.
-I've been using a magnetic tankbag for years (decades?).  Will such a bag work on the RS tank or do I need one with a locking ring?

Also, any suggestions for worthwhile additions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
I have a 2017 rs and I have some of the modifications you're asking about along with the add ons.

I love the feel of the wider bars and the look of them opposed to the OE bars.

I have always ridden with a small tank bag, usually something around 5lt which is enough space for essentials, in fact, you'd be surprised how much stuff you can fit in there. Always had givi stuff in the past, but my partner bought me an Oxford bag for the rs and I quite like it, I like that the tank ring is a raw metal colour and not black like the givi.

A few photos..

[Image: PXL_20231231_105738280.MP.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105752642.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105812889.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105822587.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105902624.MP.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105906698.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105914850.jpg]
[Image: PXL_20231231_105936412.jpg]
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.
I have a Puig touring screen that works well. Also have a MRA Vario spoiler on it and find the combination provides the wind protection I want.
The "round" bars provide a more upright seating position and the wider span makes low speed handling better. At least on '23 models if ordered at the time of purchase they're only a few bucks more but if purchased afterwards they're quite pricey.
A magnetic tank bag won't work on the RS. You'll need one with a locking ring.
IMHO the factory rear rack works well and fits the style of the bike nicely.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
I also use a small bag on the handle bars, I've had this thing for close on 10 years, it's not for everyone but I've become attached to it, like an old friend, it's probably accompanied me on 80k miles + of riding..

What's missing from the photo are the co2 canisters, I usually have at least 6 in there, I also carry a cordless pump.

Fitted to my xr..

[Image: 20220924_130744.jpg]

[Image: 20220924_150543.jpg]

[Image: 20220924_130219.jpg]
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.
TFT screen protector (BMW brand) and a MachineartMoto Mud Sling on the rear tire were my 1st 2 adds. Hermy's put on a battery lead for battery tender connection FREE.
(12-30-2023, 07:54 PM)RICHRS59 Wrote: -I see that BMW offers round bars that are a bit wider than the stockers.  I see many advantages to round bars, but are they worth the extra cost?

Rich

BMW has two sets of tubular bars that fit the RS.
The optional RS bars you mentioned that sit you up more and there is a optional R1250R sport bar that I believe has a similar shape as the stock RS bars.
The stock R1250R bars are more upright than the stock RS bars and they're probably the ones sold as the option RS bars.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Thanks all.
Very helpful replies.
(12-30-2023, 07:54 PM)RICHRS59 Wrote: Greetings from New Jerseyl.  

I just ordered a 2024 RS and am waiting for it to come in.  While I'm waiting, I've been thinking about a few items to add off the bat.

-A smoke or dark shield would look better to me.  Probably one that's a bit taller too. 

I like the look and usefulness of a rear rack.  Should I go with BMW or an aftermarket piece like GIVI, SW Motech, etc.

I've been using a magnetic tankbag for years (decades?). 

Will such a bag work on the RS tank or do I need one with a locking ring?

Congratulations.

Windscreen
(Can't believe the rack is an add-on.) 
  • I'd go BMW OEM rack with small top case and add it on to the sticker price. 
  • Right now, they have 10% discount (at least for MOA members - and I think you're supposed to get free y membership with purchase if you don't have one) and they have 0% financing for 36 months.
  • If you're going long distances and long relationship with the bike, you might also look at the extended warranty. 
  • OEM is also nice for re-sale. 
  • See prior posts for nice BMW soft bag options.

Tank bag
  • Everyone seems to like the new SW motech micro which expands to 5 liters. 
  • If you have any doubt about the lockring fouling up the already finicky electric locking system, you can dremel off the soft, additional tab for electronic locking as I previously posted. (Lee recommends waiting until the warranty runs out before modification, but I like the confidence I have when I pull in to fill up that the gas cap will open.)
Bars - never understood why one would want to replace good clip-ons (well, BMW's OEM version) with a tuning fork that seems to generate additional vibration.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(12-30-2023, 07:54 PM)RICHRS59 Wrote: Greetings from New Jerseyl.  

….
-
Thanks in advance,

Rich

You and I are the same height.  I suggest holding off on the windscreen and seeing how it works for you.  The stock puts wind just below my helmet. Anything much taller can get loud.  I do run an MRA vario in the winter, but it needs to full up or down not to create all kinds of wind noise.  In summer, I go back to the stock. The tank on the RS is plastic, so your magnetic bags will not work.
I have a Givi tank bag with lock ring, a 20 liter, a Givi 40 liter rear bag with the Givi rear rack and the Givi inner bag, lots of carrying capacity. I run the stock BMW side bags with Kathy Journey inner bags. I am your same height and inseam and like the stock bars, a little forward lean but I like it. I run a dark tint Puig racing screen, shorter in height, but have not noticed a lot of buffeting.

You might also want to consider a radiator guard and front and rear axle sliders. I like R&G products for these but there are others, WunderlichUSA is one. Also, headlight guards, I have a set from Aeroflow. Another is a side stand foot enlarger for when you park on softer soil.

All these are on a 2016 model. Enjoy the ride when it come in.
Another couple of items you might consider are the Mudslinger by Machineartmoto.com and maybe their valve cover protectors. If you don't like the Mudslinger then consider a rear tire hugger, I have one by Puig or you could find one in carbon fiber.
Yeppers, definitely the Mudslinger from Machineartmoto. Keeps most of the road crap off the rear shock. Otherwise it gets VERY dirty with road grease and grit.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
+1 on the Mudsling. Machineartmoto has a bundle with the Mudsling and X-Head cylinder protectors to save a buck or two. Check out Vstream for windshields if the stock shield doesn't fit your needs. They have 3 different heights, the low shield has a dark tint, the medium shield a light tint, and the tall shield is clear. I've had good experiences with Vstream shields. Depending on how tall you are, Helibar risers will move the stock bars about an inch up and an inch and a half back and are definitely less expensive than changing to tubular bars. For tall guys like me, it makes a difference. Take a look at Shad for a top box option. I have one of their expandable top boxes and it is a very nice add. I don't find Shad's pannier mounts to be obnoxious. I think they are less obvious than the BMW mounts. Lastly, if you ordered the Nav option, I think it's much nicer to move it above the TFT. I used the Moto-Mate mount and that's a good piece of kit. If you hate the chrome monstrosity muffler, there are a lot of options. Arrow is a nice one and can be purchased reasonably at Superbikeunlimited.com. A can is pretty much a can. I can't see paying outrageous prices for a tube with stuffing. YMMV.

Lots of things out there. Half the fun of a new bike is farkling. Enjoy the ride.
Congrats on your new purchase. Hope it arrives quickly for you. Jealous of the heated seat.

Options I use & recommend:
- Denali SoundBomb Mini
- Denali D3 driving lights - mounted to frame
- Denali DM aux driving lights - mounted to front forks
- Denali T3 Modular Switchback Signal Pods - mounted to rear
- Denali CANsmart Controllers
- MRA VarioTouring windscreen (I use clear, avail in tinted/"smoke")
- MachineArt Moto XHead 1250 cylinder head covers
- MachineArt Moto Mudsling
- MachineArt Moto Light Bars (for Denali D3s)
- Helibars bar risers
- Evotech Performance radiator guard
- Akrapovič slip-on muffler
- Garmin Zūmo XT2 satnav (mounted in BNW nav mount via adapter)
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
(12-30-2023, 07:54 PM)RICHRS59 Wrote: My biggest complaint about the Shad mounting hardware on my old bike was that it looked  bulky with the bags off.

This might not help, but one advantage of these is that the mounts can be attached and detached in just over a minute. I don't think you can get an adapter for Shad cases, but you certainly can for Givi.
Colin
2021 R1250RS SE
Washington UK
Shad mount on an RS
[Image: 20200202_153254-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20220312_121820240_HDR-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20220312_114120605_HDR-L.jpg]

I like them. Matter of fact, I use the same cases on my GSA.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(01-02-2024, 07:48 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Shad mount on an RS
[Image: 20200202_153254-L.jpg]

We have the same helmet. I have a VAS V-Pro Shade fitted to mine -- like it very much.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
Same helmet here too.
KATHY JOURNEY bag liners are very well made. Recommend. Also, I added the BMW cases, which look great and have good locks.
While waiting for bike, down low the free BMW Ride Connected ap. It will post turn by turn directions on your screen without the BMW GPs - whatever your fave application.
Depending on the direct-from-factory options on your bike I'd add cruise control and the Dynamic Ride software.
I can recommend Givi tank bag.