Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ktm 390 Adventure
I am moving to Vancouver Island within the year. There are some very nice tarmac to gravel roads to  ride that are not far from the soon to be home. Destinations include Tofino, Ucluelet, Tahsis and Gold River. Of course with a adventure bike the exploring does not mean the destination is the end of the road/trail. I am thinking of getting a KTM 390 Adventure as the model has some very good reviews. I want something light for intown that is versatile and cheap to insure (400cc max). Although I am not a dirt rider the 390 adventure has  appealing ergonomics and capabilities for someone like me.
Has anyone had saddle time on 390 Adventure? or your ideas?
Ian at Big Rock Moto

R&D department
Love the wheels.
Looks like the kind of good, all surface bike we grew up with but with that KTM power plant (we used to only dream about 45 HP), their WP Apex suspension with tons of travel and decent brakes.... If I had the urge (spelled courage) to motor through the back country miles from nowhere by myself, this is the kind of package I'd take - with the 33 inch saddle and a bigger gas tank..., not that I've been thinking about this bike.

That said, haven't ridden one. My KTM dealer sits smack in the middle of St. Louis, miles from twists, turns, and moto-friendly trails.

Thanks for the inspiration.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
I owned one for a while, great bike. Powerful enough to ride freeways and reasonably comfortable doing it. I'd still have it if I had room. I added bar risers and lowering pegs, I'm 5'8"ish and weighed 225 at the time. It would pull to upper 90's mph top speed or cruise 75/80 all day. Excelled at gravel roads and light dirt work.  Happy to answer any questions.

[Image: IMG_20220902_144615349_HDR-L.jpg]
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
Never ridden one but I've always thought the 390 Adventure would be a great bike for dirt/gravel roads and also poor chip-seal roads.
If I lived in NW Arkansas or Texas Hill Country I'd like one for a 2nd bike.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
News flash, the 390 adv seat height is up there. 855 mm or 33.66 inches. Dang my 30 inch inseam never felt so femur less. I used to be able to stretch and groan to make due on my toes. The body is not having any of that anymore. I have been advised that the KTM lowering kit will loose an inch at $450. Without riding the bike it ticks most if not all of the boxes so tomorrow I will go back and see if one inch can make the difference. If not I may just get another street bike or not.
Compromises, compromises, it seems they are getting more extreme as I age, meh.
R&D department
The 1 inch lowering didn't make enough of a difference for me so the 390 Adv is out. I did sit on a Kawasaki Versys 300 that would work.
Versys 300 at Fortnine 

I am now toying with the idea of finding an adv type bike that utilizes lowering link suspension. Other than that possibly a more road focused bike with 80/20 street/gravel road tires.....
R&D department