Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing the headers?
I've decided to go the whole hog and get my headers Ceramic coated, satin Black, not too glossy and not too matt. I'm going to use this company. https://performance1coatings.com/ceramic...otorbikes/

Of course I'll need to get the headers off of the bike and so I need to ask the following. 

Is it big job? It doesn't look like it is to me, but you never can tell..  Confused

Will I need any special tools?  Huh

Thank you in advance.

Cheers, windy
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.
Never done it, but it looks like once the rear canister is removed and the exhaust valve controls are removed then remove the exhaust flange nuts at the cylinder head drop it down at the front to clear these studs and pull straight back as there is a support that fits into a rubber bushing. it then should just drop down. Looks like just normal tools will be required, torx bits, sockets, etc.
(01-02-2024, 09:54 AM)Oldrider51 Wrote: Never done it, but it looks like once the rear canister is removed and the exhaust valve controls are removed then remove the exhaust flange nuts at the cylinder head drop it down at the front to clear these studs and pull straight back as there is a support that fits into a rubber bushing. it then should just drop down. Looks like just normal tools will be required, torx bits, sockets, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same but wanted to check before I get stuck in to the job at the weekend. 

Cheers, windy
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.
As a little insurance, you might squirt a shot of good penetrating oil on the studs and nuts and let it sit there for a day or so.  It's been quite a while since I removed exhaust from any of my bikes and hate the thought of snapping a stud in the head.

Frank
'23 R1250RS, 8000 mi. 1 yr.
'03 R1100S BCR #6/200
'85 K100/1100RS- 38 yrs. 331,000 mi.
'17R1200RS- 51,054 mi. (gone)
'16 R1200RS- 28,322 mi. (gone)
'11 R1200RT-30,000 mi. (gone)
'05 R1200ST-58,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP-89,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S-15,000 mi. (gone)
560K+ BMW miles
(01-03-2024, 10:40 AM)Duckbubbles Wrote: As a little insurance, you might squirt a shot of good penetrating oil on the studs and nuts and let it sit there for a day or so.  It's been quite a while since I removed exhaust from any of my bikes and hate the thought of snapping a stud in the head.

Frank

That's good advice, I'll give it a squirt tonight..  Big Grin

Cheers, windy