Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairing Removal
Hi,

was there a fairing removal how-to at one stage? I think GG had posted one back in 2015.

I'm kinda stuck removing the painted top section on the LHS. I've removed all the obvious torx screws, fuel tank panel, windscreen and can't get the cursed thing off. At this stage I'm starting to think the panel is a stressed component of the chassis and I'll need to drop the engine to remove it Tongue
Patience. It is removable. Do you have a copy of the BMW service manual? I can email you a copy of the instructions but not until about 12-13 hours from now when I get to my home computer. PM me your email address.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(01-03-2024, 11:04 PM)DRC Wrote: Hi,

was there a fairing removal how-to at one stage? I think GG had posted one back in 2015.

I'm kinda stuck removing the painted top section on the LHS. I've removed all the obvious torx screws, fuel tank panel, windscreen and can't get the cursed thing off. At this stage I'm starting to think the panel is a stressed component of the chassis and I'll need to drop the engine to remove it Tongue

Not so much of a how-to video but a photo of all of the plastic removed and laid out with all of the screws which go where. That photo is on my home computer and I am at work - sorry. 

However, IIRC the panels you are referring to should not be too hard and there may be a push-in fixture that needs to go into a grommet, such that if you are trying to slide only in any direction that fixture would resist movement and the panel would seem to be stuck. Since I last removed side panels on the RS I have changed 3 bikes and removed panels on each so have little more clue to help you with the RS. 

Maybe it is time to officially do a video on panel removal for the RS ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
As Motorhead1977 says it is removeable. There is a panel on the inside of this panel that has several screws that go into the painted panel. Look up inside to the right of the left fork, there is a black inside panel, it has two screws along the front edge and one at the top. I just removed mine for some maintenance work.
Edit: After rereading your post I see you mentioned the windshield, so I may not understand which panel you want to remove.
Are you removing the piece around the headlight?

It's easy to not noticed this tab.

The center panel may be difficult to remove if it has not been off before.
It's a tight fit around the gas car.
Get your hands close to the gas cap, then gently twist and lift.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(01-04-2024, 07:35 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Not so much of a how-to video but a photo of all of the plastic removed and laid out with all of the screws which go where. That photo is on my home computer and I am at work - sorry. 
Maybe it is time to officially do a video on panel removal for the RS ...

Thanks GG. For clarity it is the lupin blue painted RHS fairing panel.
(01-04-2024, 08:51 AM)Lee Wrote: Edit: After rereading your post I see you mentioned the windshield, so I may not understand which panel you want to remove.
Are you removing the piece around the headlight?

It's easy to not noticed this tab.

The center panel may be difficult to remove if it has not been off before.
It's a tight fit around the gas car.
Get your hands close to the gas cap, then gently twist and lift.

Thanks Lee. I did get the aforementioned panel off ok. You are correct about the tab, it is a little hard to notice and need a gentle wiggle to slide out. It is the blue painted panel above that is giving me grief. For clarity I had a low speed spill and will need to get the panel repainted. Probably the lowest speed accident I've had, just the bar end, engine cover, mirror, brake lever and the blue fairing panel need attention. The muffler and indicators are not even marked. Ribs four to eleven and my right wrist didn't take the landing so well Sad
(01-04-2024, 01:23 PM)DRC Wrote: ... Ribs four to eleven and my right wrist didn't take the landing so well Sad

Ouch. Hope that heals up well / fast. Good luck on buffing the panel damage out. Wink
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Here's pictures of the Lupin piece around the headlight. This is the right side but the left is the same.

The mirror needs to be removed

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
The parts fiche helps you keep track of which fastener to use.
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMa...d=09082020

Click on Frame, Fairing , Cases, then scroll down to the panel you need.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Here's a close up

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(01-04-2024, 01:23 PM)DRC Wrote: For clarity I had a low speed spill and will need to get the panel repainted. Probably the lowest speed accident I've had, just the bar end, engine cover, mirror, brake lever and the blue fairing panel need attention.

When Debbie's bike was less than 1 year old someone backed into her bike early morning at a motel.
Broke the front brake lever, mirror and minor dings to the BMW valve cover protector, the Lupin panel around the headlight, and the pannier lid.

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(01-04-2024, 06:05 PM)Lee Wrote: Broke the front break lever, mirror and minor dings to the valve cover protector, the Lupin panel around the headlight, and the pannier lid.

Mine has gone down at 0 MPH more than once. I consider the pannier lid and valve cover protector scuffs badges of accomplishment. Every bike will go down eventually if owned and ridden enough -- any time the rider isn't part of the damage, it's a win. Glad you and Debbie are safe.

'Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"' - HS Thompson
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
Thanks for the help from the forum members.

No one like to see their bike on its side (Lee and Pyrrho my commiserations) but it does go with the territory.
(01-04-2024, 01:23 PM)DRC Wrote: Thanks Lee. I did get the aforementioned panel off ok. You are correct about the tab, it is a little hard to notice and need a gentle wiggle to slide out. It is the blue painted panel above that is giving me grief. For clarity I had a low speed spill and will need to get the panel repainted. Probably the lowest speed accident I've had, just the bar end, engine cover, mirror, brake lever and the blue fairing panel need attention. The muffler and indicators are not even marked. Ribs four to eleven and my right wrist didn't take the landing so well Sad

Those injuries can create a lot of distraction when doing little things - like trying to breath or pulling a fairing panel.... Get better. 

If it had been a couple months ago, I would have offered up Lee's original blue right panel that he kindly sold to me, so I could replace some damage that occurred in late 2015..., but finally found some time and an excuse to use it in October.  

Hope all heals up before spring.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Thanks for the help from the forum members. I've reassembled the 1200RS with new shiny bits and its looks great. First ride since the fall in November was a few days ago on some quiet, curvy back roads Smile