Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough riding on secondary roads?
There are a couple posts on other sites, and videos, which comment on the r1250rs's rougher ride (vs GS and other ST's) on secondary roads. What are your experiences?
I have not experienced that at all unless the road conditions are broken pavement and pot holes. But the RS isn't designed to be an "adventure bike" so I avoid roads like that in any event.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
It's all about suspension travel. The GS is like riding a magic carpet on rough roads compared with R/RS
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(02-29-2024, 07:33 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: It's all about suspension travel.  The GS is like riding a magic carpet on rough roads compared with R/RS

Precisely. Suspension travel, front wheel size, bike weight, spring rates and damping, etc. For instance, the RS has about 5 inches of suspension travel whereas my Tiger has over 9 inches of travel at both ends.

The RS (and any other sport tourer) has a different focus (street riding only) which tends towards stiffer suspension, so naturally the ride will be stiffer. ADV bikes try to bridge the gap between street and offroad, which is why they are the most successful platform for the multi-dimensional rider.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(02-29-2024, 07:33 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: It's all about suspension travel.  The GS is like riding a magic carpet on rough roads compared with R/RS

It's no slouch on the open road either. It's pretty nice to be able to stretch out standing on the pegs and not be over the front wheel.

In re OP's secondary roads; in my experience the GS is much better than the RS on what we call "paved goat paths", county roads in various states of repair and disrepair. We don't look for gravel, but we don't turn around for it either if it connects our route. I could never get comfortable on the RS in gravel, I could do it but it wasn't pleasant. The GS shines in gravel, it's not even a contest.

There's no perfect bike. But I'm still looking Undecided.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
I've ridden my RS several hundred miles on gravel and rough roads . Its NO GS or Triumph Tiger XCX but with settings on road min , and 30 / 36 psi front rear its fine for me . The lighter RS and shorter than a GS works well for me .
I run a GS 1200 Bash plate ( stocker ) and stone guard on clutch cover .
5 inches of travel was always good enhough for dual sport in the old days..., with a fraction of the power and mass.

Big bumps on bigger bikes need bigger travel.

That said, agree - the big RS sure is a lot of fun on gravel and secondary roads.

Have to say, rough secondary roads got a lot better 9n the RS with Tractive suspension and good rubber.

(For the record, the GS ( RAKE/TRAIL, 25.7°/4.0 in. WHEELBASE, 59.6) wheel base is half inch shorter than the RS and the trail is a little more (27.7°/4.4 in.  60.1 in.)..., but unlike the GS, braking into turns lowers the front end and makes it feel shorter on outside the parking lot road.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."