Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Mod
I modified the OEM seat to include a pro Pad elastomeric gel insert (driver only) and Luimoto custom seat covers (Technik model).

- Sam
2017 R1200RS Lupin Blue
2017 R nineT Scrambler
Sam thanks for sharing ... this is brilliant, and a very nice tasteful appearance upgrade. Can you comment on how much elevation change you get from the ProPad gel insert? My stock seat is a tad low and a replacement BMW seat makes no sense for the expense. I'd rather mod the seat like you did.

I had to go and look up Luimoto and managed to find a nice one that would suit my bike too. Two very nice pluses is that it is (1) a Canadian company, and (2) there is also a matching passenger cover as well. My only concern for the rider seat is that the material would make the seat more grippy ... I like the slide around quality of the stock seat cover. That grippiness, on the other hand, is a good thing for the passenger seat ... keeps the wife in place. Smile

[Image: 552-1-2121-l.jpg]

You do have a very nice Lupin Blue RS ... best I have seen. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Can you comment on how much elevation change you get from the ProPad gel insert? My stock seat is a tad low and a replacement BMW seat makes no sense for the expense. I'd rather mod the seat like you did.

Since I hogged out the seat foam I got no change in seat height. The Pro Pad gel is 7/16 inch thick so you should be able to add 1/2 inch height to your seat just by placing the gel on top of the seat foam. I think the Luimoto Technik cover would easily accommodate the extra thickness of the seat in that configuration. If you were going to do that then I would probably get a larger gel pad that would cover the entire seat so you don't have to worry about "seams" showing where the gels sits under the cover. You should also get a 30"x 36" BLACK FOAM LINER --- I called and ordered this because I wanted their foam and not the cheaper stuff that comes with the Pro Pad. Very high quality liner.

(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: I had to go and look up Luimoto and managed to find a nice one that would suit my bike too. Two very nice pluses is that it is (1) a Canadian company, and (2) there is also a matching passenger cover as well.

I really like the red/gray/black of the seat cover you found. Very cool.

(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: My only concern for the rider seat is that the material would make the seat more grippy ... I like the slide around quality of the stock seat cover.

I have the suede version which I haven't noticed as being stickier than the stock material.

(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: You do have a very nice Lupin Blue RS ... best I have seen. Smile

Thanks. I'm quite fond of the way it has turned out.
- Sam
2017 R1200RS Lupin Blue
2017 R nineT Scrambler
Thanks for clarifying .... when I subsequently read the post you made on the other forum after asking the question, I saw that you inserted the gel pad so no change in height.

The article is now posted on the RSWasserboxer site - click here to see it.

Thanks again Sam.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Hey Sam. Reviving an older thread. Was your basis for the seat mods a sport seat?
(01-29-2019, 10:43 PM)AZGeek Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Can you comment on how much elevation change you get from the ProPad gel insert? My stock seat is a tad low and a replacement BMW seat makes no sense for the expense. I'd rather mod the seat like you did.

Since I hogged out the seat foam I got no change in seat height. The Pro Pad gel is 7/16 inch thick so you should be able to add 1/2 inch height to your seat just by placing the gel on top of the seat foam. I think the Luimoto Technik cover would easily accommodate the extra thickness of the seat in that configuration. If you were going to do that then I would probably get a larger gel pad that would cover the entire seat so you don't have to worry about "seams" showing where the gels sits under the cover. You should also get a 30"x 36" BLACK FOAM LINER --- I called and ordered this because I wanted their foam and not the cheaper stuff that comes with the Pro Pad. Very high quality liner.

(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: I had to go and look up Luimoto and managed to find a nice one that would suit my bike too. Two very nice pluses is that it is (1) a Canadian company, and (2) there is also a matching passenger cover as well.

I really like the red/gray/black of the seat cover you found. Very cool.

(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: My only concern for the rider seat is that the material would make the seat more grippy ... I like the slide around quality of the stock seat cover.

I have the suede version which I haven't noticed as being stickier than the stock material.

(01-29-2019, 06:59 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: You do have a very nice Lupin Blue RS ... best I have seen. Smile

Thanks. I'm quite fond of the way it has turned out.

Hey Sam, question for your regarding the cover. How is it in the rain? Is it waterproof like the OEM material or do you have to avoid getting it wet?