Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating the BMW Navigator
Just a quick tip to periodically check for updates for your Garmin Navigator, if you have one. It would be nice if they'd send notifications whenever there is an update for your registered GPS unit, but apparently they do not.

So it is a good idea to download Garmin Express (US Download link) and then check this periodically. Garmin updates their software / maps more than once per year.

I checked Garmin Express yesterday, and not only was there 2 updates (of some sort) but Garmin Express itself was updated first. Total time to update everything was maybe 30 - 45 minutes.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
In the US the map updates are every 3 months, so you can expect another one in 3 months.
This is true for any Garmin that has free lifetime maps.
Sometimes I notice a popup message at the bottom right of my computer screen that a update is available.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(02-14-2019, 11:42 AM)Lee Wrote: In the US the map updates are every 3 months, so you can expect another one in 3 months.
This is true for any Garmin that has free lifetime maps.
Sometimes I notice a popup message at the bottom right of my computer screen that a update is available.

I guess the popup is coming because you have Garmin Express running in the background all the time. I do too but I am not always there to see the popup I guess. An email would be better, I think.

Every 3 months, eh? I will try and remember to check more often.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(02-14-2019, 12:43 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: I am not always there to see the popup I guess. An email would be better, I think.

Every 3 months, eh? I will try and remember to check more often.

Same for me, I don't always see it.
I don't worry about checking for updates this time of year but I happened to see the notice last week and updated our two Nav Vs and Nuvi.

When looking at settings now I see all three units have a small software update for time zones.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
With the new riding season starting, I’m thinking my 660 Garmin is in need of updating. The screen gets a bit dimmer each season, and my eyes get a little older. I have no interest in the phone hook up or the music bit. Just want the slightly larger screen and the newer brightness available.

So what should I do? Does the Nav 6 fit in the same mount that came with the bike? Or does it include a new mount in the package? I’ll be looking at used options in an effort to save a few bucks.

Also, while the wonder wheel is a neat gadget, it’s not a necessity. Shoud I perhaps just get the Garmin unit direct? If so, which model is appropriate.

Looking for comments and advice here. Anybody??? And thanks in advance.
(04-22-2019, 11:04 AM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: So what should I do? Does the Nav 6 fit in the same mount that came with the bike? Or does it include a new mount in the package? I’ll be looking at used options in an effort to save a few bucks.

Also, while the wonder wheel is a neat gadget, it’s not a necessity. Shoud I perhaps just get the Garmin unit direct? If so, which model is appropriate.

Looking for comments and advice here. Anybody??? And thanks in advance.

If you want to use the BMW mount then you will have to buy the Navigator, which is a Garmin made for BMW Motorrad. The only Garmin that I think fits is the one you have (660) which is an old unit and as you say is dimming. There is no dimming with the Nav VI which is the main reason I bought mine.

Yes, the Nav VI fits into the prep that is on your bike and no it does not come with a mount.

I would pass on the Garmin and get the Nav VI, which integrates better with your bike than anything else and if you are looking to get the same Garmin GPS engine (not the best) then the other features push the Nav VI over the top. I winced big time buying the Nav VI but I don't regret it.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Thanks for the info GG. I watched your review and it does seem convincing. Is the display on the 595 the same as the Nav 6? My understanding is that they are the same unit except for the bike integration stuff. Is that right?
(04-22-2019, 05:53 PM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: Thanks for the info GG. I watched your review and it does seem convincing. Is the display on the 595 the same as the Nav 6? My understanding is that they are the same unit except for the bike integration stuff. Is that right?

They may have very similar display, as in screen display technology - compared with other Navigators, the Navigator VI is brighter, crisper and newer technology, better designed for display in outside conditions which could involve "direct" sunlight. It may be the same as the 595LM.

In terms of what is displayed - they are likely very similar with respect only to the GPS function. Looking at the screenshots on the Garmin web page for the 595LM, it seems that the 595LM screens may be a bit different - nicer even.

Bottom line - the 595LM is $700 and the Navigator VI is perhaps $100 more ... both are too expensive for their own good. If in that particular market, I would get the unit which is designed to make full use of the jog wheel, whether or not you use it.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
OK. You've sold me. It's plug and play . . . Ordered from Max BMW. You can check it out in Helen Smile
(04-23-2019, 07:00 AM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: OK. You've sold me. It's plug and play . . . Ordered from Max BMW. You can check it out in Helen Smile

Hahaha ... don't blame if you have any buyer's remorse, although I am sure you won't. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
So the Nav 6 is on the bike and I have done one route as a test. Went up to Vermont to have lunch with the RS rider in VT. I basically know the route, but put it in the Nav as a test. This thing works differently than the 600 series. A screen comes up when you select the route asking where you want to go, and listing your via points. I checked the desitination and it seems that the unit wanted to ignore my route and make a new one.

So my question is, what do I do to make sure that the Nav uses the route I made on the computer? If I go off route to buy gas etc. I want to be brought back to the route. But other than that, I want it to do what I instructed. Any comments?

By the way, the screen is beautiful!
(05-02-2019, 08:02 AM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: So my question is, what do I do to make sure that the Nav uses the route I made on the computer? If I go off route to buy gas etc. I want to be brought back to the route. But other than that, I want it to do what I instructed. Any comments?

By the way, the screen is beautiful!

I knew that you would like the screen. Smile

The routes that any GPS would suggest is based on which algorithm and combination of factors you pick. There are 2 main ways to make it listen to you and take you on the route you like:
  1. Insert some "shaping" waypoints between the start and end points, or
  2. Create the route offline, save it to a GPX file and then import the GPX file into the Navigator
I have done both on occasion, and have had good success.

Some people like to use Garmin Basecamp for creating routes and other stuff. I am no expert in Basecamp but with effort I could use it to create GPX files. I have used Furkot.com to create GPX files for long rides.

Putting in waypoints is done directly on the Navigator.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(05-02-2019, 08:02 AM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: A screen comes up when you select the route asking where you want to go, and listing your via points. I checked the desitination and it seems that the unit wanted to ignore my route and make a new one.

If your first point is your house and you're already on the road, select the next via point.
If you select the destination, it will ignore all the via points you entered and make it's own route.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Thanks Lee. That's the conclusion I was reaching too. I'm using basecamp. Crappy program, but I'm used to it from years of abuse, so I stick with it. I remember someone saying in the past that there is a way to have the route automatically cemented by adding via points every mile or so. But I don't remember how that was done. If I put enough points in on the computer to get the route I want, I don't necessarily find the NAV unit sticking with them. So I'll just add a bunch more for the trip to Helen. My route down will be slab, but am planning a nice ride back on the two lanes.

Thanks for the help guys.

PS: Just bought a new helmet. Arai Signet X at 499. Got the last one in the Cycle Gear system.
Most of the time I don't create a route on the computer because we change our mind too often on trips.
The night before or in the morning I enter towns I think we may go through, then during the day I pick a few at a time from the Recent list and make a short route.
I may do this several times a day.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(05-02-2019, 01:32 PM)Lee Wrote: Most of the time I don't create a route on the computer because we change our mind too often on trips.

Interesting Lee. I'm just the opposite. I set the route, book all lodging etc, and then follow the little blue line all the way around the country. There is a down side though. Sometimes you don't really know where you are. On the other hand, you never get lost.

Anyway, at three weeks out, I've put in the route and lodging for Helen. I stuck in a bunch of via points to insure the new Nav 6 does what I'm telling it to.

I'll have more questions at the meet-up.

As an aside, would someone please bring the programming info for the Bille brake light system? I may need to do some adjustments and my info is in storage while I'm homeless. Thanks in advance.
(05-14-2019, 09:54 AM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: Interesting Lee. I'm just the opposite. I set the route, book all lodging etc, and then follow the little blue line all the way around the country. There is a down side though. Sometimes you don't really know where you are. On the other hand, you never get lost.

Hahah ... I am the same. That way my thoughts are for enjoying what I am seeing and I don't have to concentrate on getting where I am going. Also if I decide to deviate it will bring me back on the route afterwards. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Getting ready to dive into this Nav pool, myself. Appreciate the direction of this thread... and the direction I'll be heading next monthBig Grin
(05-14-2019, 07:32 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Interesting Lee. I'm just the opposite. I set the route, book all lodging etc,

A couple examples on why we don't make a reservation for every night on long trips.
2003 we had a 3 week trip planned for Wyoming then up to Alberta and British Columbia.
We were in the Glacier area for 5 days on a Edelweiss Tour that came with our bike purchases. There were a lot of fires in that area with a lot of smoke and after 4 or 5 days being in smoke both of us were having issues.
The Forest Service had a command center in our motel so I asked a lady if it was possible for her to check on fires conditions in the Banff and Jasper area.
She got back to us later in the day and said the fires were bad up there also.
We decided to cancel on Canada and went to Washington State.
That was about a weeks worth of trip that was completely changed.

Another trip was 3 weeks to Arizona late October and early November.
We had planned to return through Utah and southern Colorado.
When it was time to head east a huge early winter storm was causing snow in those areas and we had to reroute to south Texas to stay out of the ice and snow.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(05-16-2019, 05:04 PM)Lee Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 07:32 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Interesting Lee. I'm just the opposite. I set the route, book all lodging etc,

A couple examples on why we don't make a reservation for every night on long trips.....

Good points of course, but it was Bob who said that. I just agreed. Smile But I don't know ... if I was going on a 3 week trip I would probably not book ahead beyond the first few days, especially if it was possible that weather could be impactful.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS