Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles
Sad 
My name is Jeff and I’m new to this forum. My bike is a 2018 R1200RS and has 12,200 miles on it. I love the bike but have just run into some issues. Had a new front tire put on the bike 3 days ago and the person changing the tire pointed out a flat spot on one side of my rim. I’ve never hoped any curves, hit any objects or pot holes. Rim has no dings or scratches and old tire has no marks on it. Dealer where I bought the bike says this is a common problem and will cost around $350 or more to repair. I’m not accepting that and have started a complaint with corporate today.

This dealer did my 600 mile service and I did the 6,000 mile service. I was suspect of the type of people in their service department as there was 2 drain plug gaskets on when I removed the bolt. I also needed a cheater to break loose the bolt and also to remove the filter.

I had noticed pinging from the engine that started within the last 500-1,000 miles. Today as I went to do my 12,000 mile service I removed the left valve cover and was getting ready to check the valve clearance when I noticed considerable wear on the forward intake valve lobe (picture attached).

I put it back together and have an appointment at a different BMW dealer for the next day they are open. I’m expecting both my issues to get resolved or I will no longer be a BMW motorcycle owner ?. My last BMW was a 1976 R 100 which had no problems the entire time I owned the bike.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jeff,

Welcome to the RSWb Forum Community. I edited the photo a bit to make it 800 mm wide so that one did not have to scroll sideways to see the entirety of the damage.

I offered a comment in the other forum, but am glad that you found this forum which I like to think has a different focus to it. Smile Hopefully you get good answers either place.

As I opined on the other forum, I doubt that it is the oil that led to 1 of 8 cam lobes being damaged. So based on that I can't see how BMW can deny any claim that you might make that the cam lobe was faulty from the get-go. If there was oil starvation then all lobes and other parts would be worn too.

As for the flat spot on the rim - first I've heard that it is a "common problem". I suspect that they damaged the rim, if as you say you did not cause the damage. Once I had my rim superficially nicked during a tire replacement but at least they brought it to my attention promptly owning up to it. Mind, they did not offer to repair it, and were waiting, and hoping that I would forgive the damage, which I did as it was small.

The bit about needing a "cheater bar" to remove not only the plug but the filter (!!) made me wince and that alone would have go them fired from working on my bike. I could see how 2 gaskets could get on the plug though since they often wet stuck to the underside of the head and unless one is careful one could assume that there was none, and put another there. Better than not having any.

As I offered in my reply on the other forum, I would use another dealer if you can. Good luck in getting the cam lobe / engine fixed through BMW warranty and the rim through insurance.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(07-27-2019, 11:58 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: As for the flat spot on the rim - first I've heard that it is a "common problem"..

They do seem to bend easy.
I have been told the BMW wheels are soft. Don't know if this is true but I have heard of a lot of bent BMW wheels over the years.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-27-2019, 12:25 PM)Lee Wrote: They do seem to bend easy.
I have been told the BMW wheels are soft. Don't know if this is true but I have heard of a lot of bent BMW wheels over the years.

Got to watch for that then. Still, if Jeff didn't flat spot it then someone did. Can't be that soft that it flat spot itself. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-27-2019, 12:37 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Got to watch for that then. Still, if Jeff didn't flat spot it then someone did. Can't be that soft that it flat spot itself. Big Grin

It's not unusual for someone to not remember having a hard hit, then find a bent wheel during a tire change or washing the bike.
I feel lucky that neither one of us have bent a wheel in 35 years and 11 BMWs.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Thanks for the response Grumpy Goat I have watched some of your videos and really respect your help. Lee not trying to be negative but your response to this thread has me wondering if you work for or with BMW as you seem to defend their liability in this matter. I only have 12,200 miles on it and my memory is pretty clear that I’ve not hit anything including potholes that should cause this damage on such a pricey part. If so I believe it must be a manufacturing issue and BMW needs to step up and put a stronger rim on this beautiful bike. Sorry and don’t mean to be calling you out but your defense for possibly a manufacturing weakness has me suspect.
That cam lobe looks like it has seen much better days. Hope thing go well for you with your issues.

I have had three bent rims on BMWs. Two were when I was leaned over a bit and making a left hand turn into a parking lot. The transition from the road to the slightly taller (1") parking lot caused both the front and rear wheels to bend.
The other bent wheel resulted from a pot hole.
As I understand BMW wants their wheel to bend and not fracture for safety reasons.
DoctorJ if BMW is not able to help you with the rim consider sending the rim to Woodys Wheels in the Denver, CO and have him correct the issue. He’ll do a quick turnaround for you so the bike is not down a long time. I’ve used him to true some rims with spokes for me and was very happy at a decent price. He dealt with some bent mag rims for a friend of mine and did the same nice job.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(07-27-2019, 07:31 PM)darrell Wrote: DoctorJ if BMW is not able to help you with the rim consider sending the rim to Woodys Wheels in the Denver, CO and have him correct the issue. He’ll do a quick turnaround for you so the bike is not down a long time. I’ve used him to true some rims with spokes for me and was very happy at a decent price. He dealt with some bent mag rims for a friend of mine and did the same nice job.

Good tip and looking at his website it looks like his approach and process are reasonable. Jeff can take a picture and text it to them and personally get an opinion on repair.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-27-2019, 05:41 PM)DoctorJ Wrote: Lee not trying to be negative but your response to this thread has me wondering if you work for or with BMW as you seem to defend their liability in this matter.

No connection to BMW, I just didn't want you to get your hopes up on BMW replacing your wheel.
Here's another vote for Woody's Wheels. I have only heard good things about his work.
On the RS site I asked for a picture. I asked for a picture because there's a chance the wheel does not need to be repaired or replaced.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-27-2019, 07:25 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: As I understand BMW wants their wheel to bend and not fracture for safety reasons.

I've heard the same.
Also heard BMW wants the wheel to absorb some of the energy in a accident.
I've never seen a official explanation about the wheels.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Improperly hardened cams. My 1975 Honda 550 used to eat its cams in the exact same fashion. Inexcusable in this day and age. I wonder who the manufacturer was for the cams. I would be concerned that all 4 cams came from the same batch out of manufacturing.
Took my bike to a different dealer today than the one that did my original service. Was told they’ve had a number of bike’s with the same problem and feel there won’t be a problem with it being covered by the warranty. They said that all the cams will probably be replaced and doubt any further damage was caused by this problem but would check it out. They said good chance it will be ready by the end of this week.

Also said not much hope for warranty coverage on my rim and being so minimal he said shouldn’t cause any problems to ride it like it is. I’m ok with that. Told them why I brought the bike to them rather than where I bought it and had my 1st service. He agreed that was probably best. They eased my frustration and I’m looking forward to getting back on the road this weekend.

Thank you everybody for your care and response to my thread.
Sincerely,
DoctorJ
(07-30-2019, 09:07 PM)DoctorJ Wrote: Took my bike to a different dealer today than the one that did my original service. Was told they’ve had a number of bike’s with the same problem and feel there won’t be a problem with it being covered by the warranty. They said that all the cams will probably be replaced and doubt any further damage was caused by this problem but would check it out. They said good chance it will be ready by the end of this week.

Also said not much hope for warranty coverage on my rim and being so minimal he said shouldn’t cause any problems to ride it like it is. I’m ok with that. Told them why I brought the bike to them rather than where I bought it and had my 1st service. He agreed that was probably best. They eased my frustration and I’m looking forward to getting back on the road this weekend.

Thank you everybody for your care and response to my thread.
Sincerely,
DoctorJ

Glad to hear that the second dealer confirmed what we were suggesting on this thread, and that there appears to be a way forward. Keep the thread updated when you get the bike back and let us know how it all worked out.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
That's good news Jeff.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Got my bike back today with 4 new cams and 4 new followers. They also said the timing was off and corrected that. It’s running better than it ever has and was so much fun ridding today. Two thumbs up for a job well done at BMW Motorcycles of Escondido. I’m glad to have found a service department more caring than the one where I bought the motorcycle.
So glad that this was resolved correctly and that you are now happy with the bike. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I am so glad things have worked out well for you! Smile
(08-02-2019, 08:14 PM)DoctorJ Wrote: They also said the timing was off and corrected that. It’s running better than it ever has and was so much fun ridding today.

From what I has read some bikes have left the factory with incorrect cam timing.
Having this corrected probably makes the engine feel better.
Good to hear they replace all four cams and followers.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Always nice to hear about a dealer doing the right thing. That would have been a painful out of pocket experience.