Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out West advice
Planning for a journey West, next September. I know for sure, because of time restraints, that we’ll be tag team driving out, with bikes in tow. I’m guessing the only option for a 2 bike trailer is UHaul? 1700 miles is quite a journey and want to make sure everything is secure.
Any experience out here in Wasserboxer land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where West? I have no experience towing bikes but it can't be any worse than towing my 7500# 30ft travel trailer. Big Grin

I think that the UHaul trailer is the most cost effective option although a utility trailer is not that expensive and can be outfitted to suit your tastes. Could be cheaper in the long run. Just have to have a place to store it.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Colorado😬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might also consider checking in to one of the rental companies about renting a pickup where you could load the two bikes in the back and drive their vehicle saving 3400 miles on your own vehicle plus it gives you the security if you break down they should show up with another one to replace theirs that broke down. You can always find a ditch to back down in to or a hill side to load and unload the bikes so you don’t need a ramp to haul along. If they have an extended cab you have plenty of space inside the cab for your gear and the passenger seat usually folds back to they can sleep or relax in a better manner. Also ask your dealer if they have a trailer you can rent for 10 days as usually set up to haul bikes.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Dave, Do you use Basecamp? If so, I'll shoot you some GPX files of my favorite AZ/NM rides
Wayne, definitely leaning towards the U-Haul option. Darrel, got the best land yacht (Suburban) for the job. And Mike, I've got Basecamp. Thanks for the replies!
If you elect the pickup truck option I have a solution for you. In Denver going west on the interstate, look to the right and see a big hotel on a hillside. Sorry I can't remember exactly where it was. Nice stepped parking lot that exactly matched our tail gate height. Fun times.

[Image: Colorado2000_001.jpg]
Very convenient, indeed!
So Duccrazydave did you ever do that trip? Have been out west six times in the last seven years. Will be a seventh time come this August. Rode out from Ohio three times, trailered out there once and the remaining were fly an ride (by far the best option). Off year rode to Nova Scotia and PEI. Like out west way more.
I have used the motorcycle U-Haul trailer for one bike using the trailers built in engineered front wheel chock. If you where to use the MC trailer for two bikes you would not be able to use the chock and you would have to place one bike facing rearward. U-Haul may have a work around for that.
R&D department
(07-14-2022, 07:43 AM)maxredline Wrote: I have used the motorcycle U-Haul trailer for one bike using the trailers built in engineered front wheel chock. If you where to use the MC trailer for two bikes you would not be able to use the chock and you would have to place one bike facing rearward. U-Haul may have a work around for that.

DucDave mounted 2-wheel chocks to a sheet of OSB and placed that in an enclosed Uhaul Cargo trailer.  He's posted pics somewhere.  

If you're going the Uhaul trailer route, make your reservation early.  Also, depending on the length of trip and staging, one or two-way rental might be preferable.
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS
(07-14-2022, 08:00 AM)36654 Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 07:43 AM)maxredline Wrote: I have used the motorcycle U-Haul trailer for one bike using the trailers built in engineered front wheel chock. If you where to use the MC trailer for two bikes you would not be able to use the chock and you would have to place one bike facing rearward. U-Haul may have a work around for that.

DucDave mounted 2-wheel chocks to a sheet of OSB and placed that in an enclosed Uhaul Cargo trailer.  He's posted pics somewhere.  

If you're going the Uhaul trailer route, make your reservation early.  Also, depending on the length of trip and staging, one or two-way rental might be preferable.

That is a good idea especially with an enclosed trailer for weather protection and some security. I would imagine it would be a little harder to load and unload and a little more costly but you could look at it as insurance.
R&D department
(07-14-2022, 08:11 AM)maxredline Wrote: That is a good idea especially with an enclosed trailer for weather protection and some security.

The weather protection worked good for Dave.

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Holy dead thread revival Batman....
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(07-14-2022, 10:47 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: Holy dead thread revival Batman....

Confused ............It's Max's fault.

I referenced a posting to another site that followed the OP to this site.........  As the 1960s Batman would have said........ A swirling vortex of circularity! Rolleyes
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS