Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dancing career is over
Thanksgiving night I was puttin' on the moves with my Grand Daughter when, All of a sudden, My Left foot decided it didn't want to participate in my daily battle with balance and I Went down like a Boeing Max 8. ER Doc said that it appeared to be a Sprain so I followed his advice. Spent a week in North Carolina teaching a class and finally got in to see my Ortho Doc yesterday. Turns out to be a ruptured Achilles that will be repaired Thursday. Looks like my riding days are on hold for a little while.
Crap. Sorry to hear that. And just when the Texas weather is good for riding too ... Hope the surgery is a full success.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(12-11-2019, 06:54 AM)Rotorwrench Wrote: Looks like my riding days are on hold for a little while.
On the average how long does that take to heal?

Our riding days are also on hold for awhile Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Sorry to hear. If surgery goes well hopefully spring you’ll be able to get on the bike and take a ride to the see the BlueBonnet flowers.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(12-11-2019, 06:54 AM)Rotorwrench Wrote: Thanksgiving night I was puttin' on the moves with my Grand Daughter when, All of a sudden, My Left foot decided it didn't want to participate in my daily battle with balance and I Went down like a Boeing Max 8. ER Doc said that it appeared to be a Sprain so I followed his advice. Spent a week in North Carolina teaching a class and finally got in to see my Ortho Doc yesterday. Turns out to be a ruptured Achilles that will be repaired Thursday. Looks like my riding days are on hold for a little while.
Sorry to hear. Pretty common injury and in the old days, it was not surgically repaired (though the above the knee casts were a nuisance and modern surgery produces better results). Even without surgery, I've only known 2 people who ruptured twice out of hundreds of cases - so at least for this leg, once healed, you should be good to go.

Take care of yourself. Hope to see you down the road.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Dang it, Mike! You do know Break Dancing went out in the early 90's? Big Grin Better sprained than torn. That takes quite a bit longer to bounce back from. Praying for a quick and complete recovery. BTW where were you teaching in NC?
Sorry to hear that Mike. Hopefully your recovery will be speedy.
(12-12-2019, 05:07 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Dang it, Mike! You do know Break Dancing went out in the early 90's? Big Grin Better sprained than torn. That takes quite a bit longer to bounce back from. Praying for a quick and complete recovery. BTW where were you teaching in NC?
USCG Air Station Elizabeth City
A quick update. It has been 10 weeks since surgery and I am in a rigid boot now. PT is progressing nicely but I am still not allowed to bear weight without the boot. Follow up with the Doc on Monday. I haven't ridden since the week before Thanksgiving. Darrell, I don't know how you Northern boys do it, But it really sucks.
Keep the recovery going!
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(02-21-2020, 05:19 PM)Rotorwrench Wrote: A quick update. It has been 10 weeks since surgery and I am in a rigid boot now. PT is progressing nicely but I am still not allowed to bear weight without the boot. Follow up with the Doc on Monday. I haven't ridden since the week before Thanksgiving. Darrell, I don't know how you Northern boys do it, But it really sucks.

Baby steps. Stick with the PT and get it strong again. You have a ride coming up in September.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(02-21-2020, 05:19 PM)Rotorwrench Wrote: A quick update. It has been 10 weeks since surgery and I am in a rigid boot now. PT is progressing nicely but I am still not allowed to bear weight without the boot. Follow up with the Doc on Monday. I haven't ridden since the week before Thanksgiving. Darrell, I don't know how you Northern boys do it, But it really sucks.

Right, though lot's to say about an off-season. Look at the miles Darrell puts on once the final snow plow rattles through.

(02-21-2020, 07:10 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Baby steps. Stick with the PT and get it strong again. You have a ride coming up in September.
Well, if anyone knows the secrets to recovery from lower limb injury, it's Grumpy.
Sounds like a very cautious surgeon.

Agree with Wayne - listen to your physical therapist. The big risk with this much time off is sufficient muscle atrophy, so you'll step out of your boot and right off, sprain your ankle.... Take care. Hopefully the schedule will work out for September. A good ride always makes the downtime seem insignificant.
Quote:Well, if anyone knows the secrets to recovery from lower limb injury, it's Grumpy.
Sounds like a very cautious surgeon.

Agree with Wayne - listen to your physical therapist. The big risk with this much time off is sufficient muscle atrophy, so you'll step out of your boot and right off, sprain your ankle.... Take care. Hopefully the schedule will work out for September. A good ride always makes the downtime seem insignificant.

Ray, My Surgeon has a pretty tight resume. She worked a couple D-1 sports programs and currently specializes in sports medicine/Ortho. I was blown away at how much muscle mass I had lost in my Calf when they removed the cast after 4 weeks. A lot of my PT has been centered on strengthening everything that has been effected by the immobilization. My biggest concern walking in the boot is hyperextending the knee, So I am ever so cautious in doing so.
Great news!!! Went to the Doc for a follow up today and she said that I was Rocking my recovery. She even told me that I could get back on Two wheels as long as I wasn't MX'ing. I do believe that the R9T is going to get the baffles cleared in the morning.
Good news indeed, and good to see you back posting. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-22-2020, 11:16 PM)Rotorwrench Wrote: Great news!!! Went to the Doc for a follow up today and she said that I was Rocking my recovery. She even told me that I could get back on Two wheels as long as I wasn't MX'ing. I do believe that the R9T is going to get the baffles cleared in the morning.
Congratulations - a lot of work.
Good to hear you are doing well. Enjoy that 1st ride back on the bike!
I can imagine how much better your riding will be, now that you're equipped with a bionic tendon Big Grin
Congrats on the recovery process!
Ran all of my errands this afternoon with a tank bag on the 9T and had a blast. The first thing that I noticed after 5 months off of a bike was that my head wasn't where it needed to be in regards to survival skills. That quickly resolved itself when I pulled said head out of Rectum. Foot felt great but my clutching hand was a little tender due to lack of activity with it. I'll just pull out one of the old Guitars and that will fix the hand problem. Thanks for all of the kind words guys. See ya in Colorado.
Rode 300 miles of North Texas backroads today. Need to work on the seat stamina. My Physical Therapist didn't give me any exercises for that! Any suggestions Ray?