Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New Shoes
After finally running the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 down to the tread wear indicators (I’ll post mileage later), I’ve decided to give the Michelin Road 5 a shot. They have a tough act to follow, as the Dunlop’s have been the best tire for me, so far.
New shoes for a new season :-)[Image: ec8cc03c1548341067105f70bbe92304.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. I am sure you'll let us know what you think of them. I am going to be in the market for a rear tire this year too, before Gunnison. Have been looking at the Continental Road Attack 3s although have not decided yet. My best value tire is still the Dunlop RS3s
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Congratulations on the tires, They worked extremely well for me on my RS.
(02-15-2020, 10:07 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: After finally running the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 down to the tread wear indicators (I’ll post mileage later), I’ve decided to give the Michelin Road 5 a shot. They have a tough act to follow, as the Dunlop’s have been the best tire for me, so far.
New shoes for a new season :-)[Image: ec8cc03c1548341067105f70bbe92304.jpg]

Had the Michelin Road 5 on my 1200RS, got 8-9.000 km out of them.
Quit happy with grip and ride-comfort.

Curious which tyres my new 1250RS will come with . . . . .
(02-15-2020, 05:16 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Have been looking at the Continental Road Attack 3s although have not decided yet. My best value tire is still the Dunlop RS3s
I have the Continental RA3 tires at the moment. They are great tires to ride on. The only problem is they are not lasting very long. When new, the rear tread depth to the wear marks was 6 mm. It is now down to 1.5 mm after only 4,800 miles. My math says they'll last until about 6,500 miles, which is not great. I got 9,000 out of the original Metzeler Roadtec Z8 and they had about 1000 miles of life left in them when I replaced them. I replaced the subsequent Dunlop RS3s at 7,700 miles, and they still had about 1,500 miles left in them.
(02-18-2020, 08:01 AM)mspratz Wrote: I have the Continental RA3 tires at the moment. They are great tires to ride on. The only problem is they are not lasting very long. When new, the rear tread depth to the wear marks was 6 mm. It is now down to 1.5 mm after only 4,800 miles. My math says they'll last until about 6,500 miles, which is not great.

Thanks Michael. I have to rethink my tire choice then, since mileage is pretty important for me. I’ve had even higher mileage off both the Dunlops and the Michelin PR4s.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Well, this isn't progressing very quickly, at all. At least I was motivated enough to mount the tires, last night. Should be interesting to see how they "balance up", as this is the first set of tires I've installed with no balance dot. Trying to drag this (and my other projects) out as long as possible, during this chaotic time.
I'll be posting how much better the handling and mileage is, as I ride around inside my garageTongue

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-03-2020, 04:39 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Well, this isn't progressing very quickly, at all. At least I was motivated enough to mount the tires, last night. Should be interesting to see how they "balance up", as this is the first set of tires I've installed with no balance dot. Trying to drag this (and my other projects) out as long as possible, during this chaotic time.
I'll be posting how much better the handling and mileage is, as I ride around inside my garageTongue

Very nice, Dave. Do you have a tire changing machine or did you use levers / spoons to put the tires on the wheels?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I have the No Mar Classic. With this size and type of tire (typical sport bike size) it’s super easy. When I’m changing cruiser sizes, and older bias ply tires, like on my brothers Connie, I will also use spoons too

(04-03-2020, 08:37 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: I have the No Mar Classic. With this size and type of tire (typical sport bike size) it’s super easy. When I’m changing cruiser sizes, and older bias ply tires, like on my brothers Connie, I will also use spoons too

Great. I think that the No Mar Classic is similar to the No Mar Cycle Hill changer I have and am yet to use, so I am hoping for a similar experience.

My rear tire tread is down slightly past the wear bars at centre, but there is lots of thread on the sides, so I still have a few more miles of mostly dry weather riding left. However the rear tire has since developed a very slow leak which will be hastening the change to a newer tire.

That said, last evening I had to go get eggs and milk (Big Grin) which I did on the bike (the only riding I am doing) and there was a slight drizzle both ways. While I left the bike on "Dynamic" and was not gentle on the straightways, I was very respectful on the curves. The road was at that early-stages degree of wetness that can be quite greasy. I thought I detected some squirm / slight sliding under heavy throttle but all was well ... and great fun! Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Great fun, indeed! Once the Dunlop’s wear bars were truly flush, I kept saying “this will be my last ride, then I’ll swap the Michelin’s”. Didn’t see threads yet, but it was close[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-03-2020, 04:39 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Well, this isn't progressing very quickly, at all. At least I was motivated enough to mount the tires, last night.

If your bike is still on the front wheel stand could you take a picture of the stand from the side?
The contact points look tiny??
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Hey Lee. It is a small contact point. This is a stand that a friend made for me, back in the 90's, when he was taking an art class, in college. Couldn't afford a Pitbull, back then Undecided It was set up for my Ducati, but the spacing matches up to the RS, as well. Crude, but effective. The posts engage the hollow at the base of the fork legs.

Just an added side note and PSA. My oldest son ( a fellow gear head) came out to the garage and saw the open exhaust, while the RS was on the stand. “What’s it sound like with no pipe, Dad?” I obliged, for a few short moments...then realized later, while remounting the rear wheel, that the rear preload had cycled, while it was running.
Best just to leave it off :-)

(04-04-2020, 08:49 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Hey Lee. It is a small contact point. This is a stand that a friend made for me, back in the 90's, when he was taking an art class, in college. Couldn't afford a Pitbull, back then Undecided It was set up for my Ducati, but the spacing matches up to the RS, as well. Crude, but effective. The posts engage the hollow at the base of the fork legs.

Looks like a good setup. Thanks
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Finally had a chance to head out for a short (50 mile) ride to fuel up and give the new shoes a shakedown. As I pulled back into the garage, that's when I noticed it - right there on the edge of the tire. A tiny little Michelin man, pointing at my chicken strips.
How rude! I'll dispose of him on my next trip to the twistiesBig Grin

You sure he wasn't pointing at you? Big Grin
(04-06-2020, 04:39 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: A tiny little Michelin man, pointing at my chicken strips.
How rude! I'll dispose of him on my next trip to the twistiesBig Grin

Big Grin
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

The little guy is covering the chicken strips. But the big guy, closer to the rim, is most certainly pointing at me and laughingBig Grin
(04-07-2020, 04:11 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: The little guy is covering the chicken strips. But the big guy, closer to the rim, is most certainly pointing at me and laughingBig Grin

Are those the Road 5 or the 5GT? I'm in need of a new set myself and always liked the Michelins.