Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Patch Your Tire
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Thanks for the video GG. I have the Stop-n-Go pump and plug kit, but I don't carry the plugs any more. I found something called Dynaplug, which is a solution that permanently repairs tubeless tires. They make various sized kits, for bicycles, motorcycles, cars, and trucks. I have repaired several punctures using Dynaplugs. A couple of miles after the repair you can't even tell where you patched the tire. The plug itself vulcanizes into the tire and becomes invisible. See http://www.dynaplug.com/motorcycles.html
(04-14-2020, 04:49 PM)mspratz Wrote: Thanks for the video GG. I have the Stop-n-Go pump and plug kit, but I don't carry the plugs any more. I found something called Dynaplug, which is a solution that permanently repairs tubeless tires. They make various sized kits, for bicycles, motorcycles, cars, and trucks. I have repaired several punctures using Dynaplugs. A couple of miles after the repair you can't even tell where you patched the tire. The plug itself vulcanizes into the tire and becomes invisible. See http://www.dynaplug.com/motorcycles.html

Thanks Michael. Since it is so compact I could carry one of the these in addition to the Stop N Go kit I have. The Dynaplug does look interesting and is probably easier to use than the Stop N Go plug system since there is no reaming step, and should be effective in repairing thin straightforward holes.

In this video using the Ultralite Kit, the guy had to use 2 plugs since the first one still had a slow leak. That is where the patch should be superior as a permanent repair. But if the Dynaplug holds without any leak then it is just as effective I suppose.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Thanks for the videos Wayne! It has been awhile since I looked at my tire repair kit. Time to dig out and see what I have! Thanks again
(04-14-2020, 07:05 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: ...should be effective in repairing thin straightforward holes.
You can plug larger holes using multiple Dynaplugs in one hole. The trick is to keep inserting them without trimming until you get a seal, then you trim them level to the tread surface.
(04-15-2020, 09:31 AM)mspratz Wrote: You can plug larger holes using multiple Dynaplugs in one hole. The trick is to keep inserting them without trimming until you get a seal, then you trim them level to the tread surface.

Yes I saw that. First thought was that for a larger round hole, the more plugs are inserted the smaller the interstitial gaps through which air might leak. But a lot depends on the deformability and flow of the rubber to seal those gaps.

Just wondering if you had any slow leaking over time from one of your Dynaplugged tires?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-15-2020, 12:12 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Just wondering if you had any slow leaking over time from one of your Dynaplugged tires?
No. But the three or four punctures I've had since I started using Dynaplug were all just nails and small screws. I've never needed more than one plug to permanently seal any of them.
(04-15-2020, 04:00 PM)mspratz Wrote: No. But the three or four punctures I've had since I started using Dynaplug were all just nails and small screws. I've never needed more than one plug to permanently seal any of them.

Sounds good then. Thanks for confirming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Here is the tire kit I carry on the bike. I’ve plugged 3 rear tires on the R1200RS as well as Steve’s rear tire on the 2017 Ride-In (was 2018) right after we crossed the Beaver Bay bridge using this kit. Have also plugged a couple on the GSA bikes and helped some other riders. I’ve never replaced a tire I plugged until it is worn out. When I insert the pre-glued rope plug I twist the insertion tool 1 ½ turns to form a ball on the tire inside with the plug and then rapidly pull the insertion tool out. Never had one leak.[attachment=548][attachment=549]
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(04-18-2020, 10:02 AM)darrell Wrote: Here is the tire kit I carry on the bike. I’ve plugged 3 rear tires on the R1200RS as well as Steve’s rear tire on the 2017 Ride-In right after we crossed the Beaver Bay bridge using this kit. Have also plugged a couple on the GSA bikes and helped some other riders. I’ve never replaced a tire I plugged until it is worn out. When I insert the pre-glued rope plug I twist the insertion tool 1 ½ turns to form a ball on the tire inside with the plug and then rapidly pull the insertion tool out. Never had one leak.

Good feedback on the Slime rope plugs. I do know that the rope plugs are very sticky and I could see how the twisting would form the "mushroom" plug on the inside.

Yes I do remember you plugging Steve's tire for him, but it was Day 5 of the 2018 Arkansas Ride In. Smile Here's the video - couple of photos of Terry (RIP) in it too.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
So today I was moving the S1000R in my garage when I noticed that it felt quite sluggish and I also noted that the tire looked low on pressure. So I checked it and it had 4 psi so I looked for the problem and found a small nail in good rubber halfway between centreline and the side knuckle. I got out my RS's Stop-N-Go plugger kit and long story short, wasted 3 plugs in my attempts to plug this tire. The plugs were coming out when I pulled the tool out. This never happened before. The plugs may be a little dried out since the pack was opened.

So I decided to give the kit that was bought for the S1000R a go for the very first time:

Worked like a charm the first time around, and it looks like the plug is holding pressure too. I will check it in a few days to see how it looks.

Probably get another kit like this for the RS.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-15-2020, 04:00 PM)mspratz Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 12:12 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Just wondering if you had any slow leaking over time from one of your Dynaplugged tires?
No. But the three or four punctures I've had since I started using Dynaplug were all just nails and small screws. I've never needed more than one plug to permanently seal any of them.

I use Dynaplug and have used two plugs to cover a hole with no problems and no leaks. Like Michael said, it's important not to cut off the tail after inserting the first plug
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(01-14-2021, 09:28 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: I use Dynaplug and have used two plugs to cover a hole with no problems and no leaks. Like Michael said, it's important not to cut off the tail after inserting the first plug

I do hear good things about Dynaplug also but the Slime product appears to be easier to source since you can get them at Walmart.

Went for a ride this evening and so far so good. Will check pressures on Monday when I get back from camping.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
What tire is on the S1000R?
(01-14-2021, 05:20 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: wasted 3 plugs in my attempts to plug this tire. The plugs were coming out when I pulled the tool out.
One thing I do after inserting the rope plugs is to turn the tool holding the rope 1.5 turns (540 degrees) to form a knot on the inside to the tire. Then quickly yank the tool out of the tire. Your mention of fresh plugs could help as well.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(01-15-2021, 05:08 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: What tire is on the S1000R?

Pirelli Corsa on both front and rear. That tire was factory supply for the S1000R although I believe the original owner said that this was a replacement tire of the same type. Don’t know why with so low miles when I bought it. Must have had a puncture.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(01-15-2021, 05:37 AM)darrell Wrote: One thing I do after inserting the rope plugs is to turn the tool holding the rope 1.5 turns (540 degrees) to form a knot on the inside to the tire. Then quickly yank the tool out of the tire. Your mention of fresh plugs could help as well.

Yes I did remember your technique from your demo on Steve’s bike in Eureka Springs. Smile

Not only that, I found that the turning of the tool is almost necessary if you want to get the tool out.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Here's what I carry when traveling. The Stop & Go kit always lives under the seat. Should cover most incidents, including old school. Tongue One thing to remember when you plug a tire is that it reduces the speed rating of the tire. In other words I wouldn't do any Autobahn speed runs on a plugged tire.

Chris
(01-15-2021, 07:53 AM)Chris216 Wrote: Here's what I carry when traveling. The Stop & Go kit always lives under the seat. Should cover most incidents, including old school. Tongue One thing to remember when you plug a tire is that it reduces the speed rating of the tire. In other words I wouldn't do any Autobahn speed runs on a plugged tire.

Chris

Good point about the speed rating, Chris. Higher speed means higher temperatures and pressures, and despite how good of a plug you have, it is the weak point in the tire carcass. Nothing beats a patch, which while much better than a plug, is still the weak point in the carcass.

The lesson I learned here is that the Stop & Go mushroom plugs seem to have a shelf life, the exceedence of which could leave you stranded on the road. With fresh plugs they work just fine.

One good point about the strings type plug - there is far more material to stuff in the hole, and as Darrell mentioned, the twisting of the tool creates a blob on the inside that is larger than the flattened mushroom of the Stop & Go solution. Also, the kit is simpler.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Further to the above experience I had, I just wanted a new YT video from Ryan of Fort Nine on "This Tire Plug Can Kill You – How to Best Fix a Flat". He checked 4 ways of repairing a hole (StopNGo mushroom plugs, StopNGo patch, tire ropes, and DynaPlug) and he came to pretty much the same conclusion that I have - best is the patch from inside, then the tire rope. Seems that he does not recommend the DynaPlugs (sorry Michael) and is cool towards the mushroom plugs.

I have since stopped using the mushroom plugs and will be exclusively using the tire ropes / cement or the patches.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS