Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Brembo Brake Pads Recall
A new recall on certain Brembo brake pads is now starting to show up, although I have not noticed whether BMW bikes are affected.

The previous one for pads was in 2018 for rear pads on certain sport bikes, with the first brand to issue the recall being Ducati. Brembo gets it pads from Federal Mogul which it blamed for improperly thermal treatment of the brake pads at a higher temperature, which then resulted in a reduced bonding of the pad material to the backing plate.

Now in 2020 another recall by Ducati leads the current issue, where the Italian brake supplier’s affected brake pads are in multiple makes and models throughout the USA and worldwide - Triumph has joined in making the recall. Again the issue is friction material separation from the base plate, which apparently affects brake pads that use the BRM10B compound.

According to this article:

Brembo has narrowed the reasons for this brake pad failure down to the following criteria:
  1. high concentration of Nickel in the compound does not favor the sintering process on the back plate and consequently causes a reduction of the adhesive area percentage;
  2. high porosity of the compound that allows infiltration of salt and water at the interface between the compound and back plate; and
  3. micro cracks on the back plate copper surface which promote the penetration of salt and water. As a result, the level of corrosion of the brake pads is higher than the maximum acceptable and indicated in the related drawing. This may result in high corrosion of the brake pads and, as a consequence, the detachment from the back plate during vehicle use, specifically in corrosive environment.

Latest News on this here.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
BREAKING. I see what you did there.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(05-20-2020, 08:23 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: BREAKING. I see what you did there.

Big GrinBig Grin Took a while for someone to notice ... Wink
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Wink 
(05-20-2020, 09:15 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 08:23 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: BREAKING. I see what you did there.

Big GrinBig Grin Took a while for someone to notice ... Wink

Always best to look out for your braking and breaking, too! Big GrinRolleyes