Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel During Covid 19
A few random thoughts about our motorcycle trip to Colorado.
I was a little nervous at first but we managed to have a good time.
To lessen our risk we mainly took back roads and traveled through areas with low infection rates. On the interstate I guessed we would have more contact with people from all over the US.

In Colorado more people were out than I expected. Most of our motels were fairly full. The only motel with low occupancy was in Vernal Utah.

We were in Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and Kansas.
Colorado was the best at taking precautions. In Colorado most people wore masks, even the under 25 age group. Restaurants did a good job of keeping customers away from each other.
Before the statewide mask requirement most businesses, restaurants and gas stations had signs saying masks are required.
We always wore our masks when inside or entering a restaurant. When riding we got in the habit of using our neck tubes. This way if we forgot to grab a mask when off the bike we could pull the neck tube up over our nose.

We did not visit little shops like we normally do to avoid close contact with others. We did go into one art gallery because we noticed the only person inside was the owner.

Motels and restaurants in Gunnison were happy to see you because they had to close for a couple months.

A couple Colorado towns with wide streets had tables, chairs and umbrellas set up on the edge of streets so you had a place to eat in case the restaurants were full or you felt better eating outside.

For those going to the RS Ride In we stayed at the same Quality Inn the group will stay at. I asked the owner if the cleaning staffs cleans all the touch points since they enter the room every day. She said they found it was better to use a spray on all the odd surfaces like light switches that are hard to completely wipe clean.
You could probably ask for no maid service while staying if you're more comfortable with that.

In Colorado most places had sanitizer available but it's best to have your own. Some places had masks available at the door or they sold you one for $1.

Gas stops
I took disposable gloves for gas stops figuring I would use one for holding the pump but I forgot I also hold the hose. It had been a long time since riding the bikes, give me a break Smile
I didn't want to mess with using latex gloves on both hands. I settled on using the provided paper towels to handle the hose and pump touch pad. After filling the bikes I would sanitize my hands before touching the bikes or my riding gear. Laying out one or two wipes before filling worked best for me. At first I used the liquid stuff but realized after cleaning my hand I also had to clean off the outside of the bottle.

Once you settle into a routine that works for you it's not as much hassle as it sounds.

One thing I forgot to mention,. Since the restaurants in Colorado were busy and had limited capacity don't sit and visit when you're done, someone is probably waiting for your table.

If the state removes the mask requirement before the September Ride In, individual businesses will probably still require you to wear a mask.

We met a group of 15 at Gunnison we see a couple times a year at different locations around the US. Everyone was good about asking if you were uncomfortable with hugs or hand shakes. I explained Debbie has close contact with hundreds of people every day at work so it was best not to touch us.

Keep in mind you can't be 100% safe from getting the virus and you can't be 100% safe while riding motorcycles, you just do your best to minimize the risks and enjoy the day.

Let's hope things do not get worse by September .
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Great report Lee!

This mirrors our experience on our trip south and east. We stayed in, or traveled through the following states: Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky.

Each state had their own Pandemic protections going on. We never felt uncomfortable or crowded anywhere we went. We've never experienced so few people at Deal's Gap this time of year. It was actually very nice.

Our trip was easily one of our top 3 all time, in the USA.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
I carry a pair of SHOWA 730 chemical gloves which are "bungeed" to the tailbag. They're sized for real people and slide on and off.

Park the bike at the pump. Pull out a bleach wipe (just in case) from a baggie in the tank bag. Flip-up the tank bag. Open the tank. Hopefully, use the no-contact "tap" reader for the Credit card. Put away card. Pull-on the chemical gloves, answer any keypad questions and pump gas. After pumping, remove gloves and slide under bungees. Wipe hands with the bleach wipe, if needed. Latch the tank lid and re-attach the aft end of the tank bag. The chemical gloves are possibly contaminated, but they'll "age sanitize" on top of the tail bag and I haven't touched another part of the bike with them.

If I have to insert the card, the card gets cleaned with the bleach wipe.

Yes. A lot of effort to avoid wiping any bike surface with a harsh chemical wipe. And, I did have a relative with severe OCD tendencies.....
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS
Nice report Lee - thanks for sharing including the nice photos. Sounds like the risks were well managed.

I will admit that I am not as careful as you, so while I hold the pump with one gloved hand the germs are probably transferred to the handgrips. But I do hand wash when I get back. I have no wipes or latex gloves. Of course I wear my mask when among people.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Out here you have to insert the credit card and touch buttons or a touch screen to answer a couple questions.
One pump had a sanitizer dispenser which was handy.
Debbie has the safest method. She gets off her bike and watches Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-22-2020, 04:48 PM)Lee Wrote: Out here you have to insert the credit card and touch buttons or a touch screen to answer a couple questions.
One pump had a sanitizer dispenser which was handy.
Debbie has the safest method. She gets off her bike and watches Smile

I buy exclusively from Exxon now and it has the smartphone app which I use to do the transaction. I also have Apple Pay which I can use to also use the iPhone to pay. I don't like using credit cards anymore if I can help it. Too many skimmers around. Got my card compromised twice buying gas at shifty gas stations out in the sticks ... which is where we tend to like to ride.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Can't you just go into the station and wash your hands? I barehanded every single pump/hose/credit card reader over 3300 miles last week.

I pumped gas. I walked into station store. I peed. I washed my hands like a surgeon. I got a hot dog off the roller grill and a diet fountain soda. Ride until Dawn's GS needed fuel. Repeat.
(07-22-2020, 08:49 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: Can't you just go into the station and wash your hands? I barehanded every single pump/hose/credit card reader over 3300 miles last week.

I pumped gas. I walked into station store. I peed. I washed my hands like a surgeon. I got a hot dog off the roller grill and a diet fountain soda. Ride until Dawn's GS needed fuel. Repeat.

Big GrinBig Grin This sounds exactly like what you'd do Bruce. You and me both, exactly the same.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-22-2020, 08:49 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: Can't you just go into the station and wash your hands? I barehanded every single pump/hose/credit card reader over 3300 miles last week.

The Roller dog and Big-Gulp soda are the price of a headlight bulb!

We avoided going into the gas station as much as possible. Debbie has a big bladder. Sometimes when taking a picture or stopping along the road to check something out I would mark my territory Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-22-2020, 06:40 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: I buy exclusively from Exxon now and it has the smartphone app which I use to do the transaction. I also have Apple Pay which I can use to also use the iPhone to pay.

You'll find a lot of places do not have Exxon but in that case I guess you use iPhone.
I should setup Android Pay.
When riding back roads you can't be fussy with what station you want. We used a lot of stations we never heard of. No name gas beats walking Smile

Speaking of gas, if anyone is riding though the boonies in Nebraska and Kansas don't be surprised to see mostly 87 AKI, with 10% ethanol and without.
Two times I put a gallon of 87 in. Mixed with the 91 in the tank I was still above the recommended 89AKI.
In 3,100 miles I only saw 89 at three stations. A lot of the 91 had 10% ethanol. In Iowa 91 is ethanol free.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-23-2020, 05:12 AM)36654 Wrote: The Roller dog and Big-Gulp soda are the price of a headlight bulb!
Headlight bulb? What is this headlight bulb you speak of? We're riding a couple of GS's with oem LED's.
Plan to eat breakfast on the road. Breakfast at the motels were very limited and prepacked.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

BTW, how we managed our precautions is not for everyone, it just made us more comfortable.
Feel free to add your suggestions.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-23-2020, 07:28 AM)Lee Wrote: ...In Iowa 91 is ethanol free.
Huh. How is it the farmers and politicians in Iowa, who are pushing for universal availability of E15, are able to fill their Harleys with ethanol-free gas?

I had the impression that corn to bean ratio in the fields was up this year. Might be the Chinese market - and Darrell probably has a better perspective - but seems like a lot of corn is going into our gasoline.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(07-23-2020, 07:37 AM)Lee Wrote: Plan to eat breakfast on the road. Breakfast at the motels were very limited and prepacked.

Agreed. I stayed at one joke of a hotel in Jackson Mississippi that advertised breakfast included. When it was time to leave I discovered what that was -- an unattended breakfast "bar" that had coffee packages but no hot water, instant oatmeal but no hot water or milk and a *few* granola bars. I left a negative review. On my way back I stopped at a different hotel in the same city and had a totally opposite experience. I felt compelled to do a review.

But as i was told when leaving, this place was to be closed and made into a senior living facility, which apparently it has.

Pity because Jackson is a good stopping point from my house when travelling in that direction. Now I have to find another hotel to keep in mind that is equivalent.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-23-2020, 07:51 AM)Ray Wrote: Huh. How is it the farmers and politicians in Iowa, who are pushing for universal availability of E15, are able to fill their Harleys with ethanol-free gas?

One of life's mysteries Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-23-2020, 08:32 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Agreed. I stayed at one joke of a hotel in Jackson Mississippi that advertised breakfast included. When it was time to leave I discovered what that was -- an unattended breakfast "bar" that had coffee packages but no hot water, instant oatmeal but no hot water or milk and a *few* granola bars. I left a negative review.

The limited breakfast is due to the virus.
Before the virus, Gunnison Quality Inn had a great breakfast and when we stayed there before most of the riders ate at the motel.
This year everyone was going out for breakfast. At the Quality Inn only one person could enter the breakfast room at a time.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-23-2020, 07:37 AM)Lee Wrote: Plan to eat breakfast on the road. Breakfast at the motels were very limited and prepacked.

That pancake shaped pre-made omelette thing scares me.

I usually grab the oatmeal, yogurt and fruit, if they have it. For entertainment, I'll usually watch the folks creating a disaster with the waffle machine.
I always took "200 miles before breakfast" as more of a directive than title of an MOA podcast.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
"A good man always knows his limitations...."