Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlight Bulb Replaced Again
While out on a ride today to look at all the local flooding I noticed the yellow warning light come on as well as an icon on my Nav V. Also indicated on the dash a symbol a front bulb was burned out. So later today I'll replace the 4th low beam H7 bulb in the 55,000 miles I've rode the bike. A couple of minutes to change and another $18.00 expense. Looks like I'm averaging about 13,000 - 14,000 miles per low beam bulb.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(06-26-2018, 02:13 PM)darrell Wrote: While out on a ride today to look at all the local flooding I noticed the yellow warning light come on as well as an icon on my Nav V. Also indicated on the dash a symbol a front bulb was burned out. So later today I'll replace the 4th low beam H7 bulb in the 55,000 miles I've rode the bike. A couple of minutes to change and another $18.00 expense. Looks like I'm averaging about 13,000 - 14,000 miles per low beam bulb.

Are these standard Osram H7 bulbs or some other higher performance bulbs? The plain standard bulbs have the yellowest light but the longest life.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(06-26-2018, 05:05 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 02:13 PM)darrell Wrote: While out on a ride today to look at all the local flooding I noticed the yellow warning light come on as well as an icon on my Nav V. Also indicated on the dash a symbol a front bulb was burned out. So later today I'll replace the 4th low beam H7 bulb in the 55,000 miles I've rode the bike. A couple of minutes to change and another $18.00 expense. Looks like I'm averaging about 13,000 - 14,000 miles per low beam bulb.

Are these standard Osram H7 bulbs or some other higher performance bulbs? The plain standard bulbs have the yellowest light but the longest life.

The bulbs are the lower cost yellow colored projected light I buy at an auto parts store. The one I installed said it had a 270 hour life. All the other ones in the store which projected a whiter light were all listed at 100 life hours or less. Interesting on the back of the package it stated the average car uses its lights 100 hours a year.

270 hours bulb life at an average speed of 40 mph would get the bike to 10,800 miles so maybe the 13,000 mile average for me makes sense.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

So strange.

I'm at 30,000km now and no issues with any bulbs popping. Could it be a temperate related thing for colder climates?

Or maybe you don't have the DRL? In my case DRL is on most of the time on the bike so technically the halogens wouldn't have seen that many hours.
(07-13-2018, 03:13 AM)SauRoN Wrote: So strange.

I'm at 30,000km now and no issues with any bulbs popping. Could it be a temperate related thing for colder climates?

Or maybe you don't have the DRL? In my case DRL is on most of the time on the bike so technically the halogens wouldn't have seen that many hours.

That is exactly why. Big Grin We have no sweet DRLs like you guys have so our low beam is on all the time as our DRLs and as a result wear out due to passage of time. I have changed my bulbs maybe 3 - 4 times in the 30k miles that the bike has been in use. Part of that also is the fact that I use higher output halogens that have a shorter rated life.

I wish we could retrofit the European(?)-spec DRLs to our bikes. That is an upgrade that I would definitely do, but apparently it is a royal PITA.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
It's taken a while, but my stock low beam finally gave up after 20,500 miles. I usually run both beams all the time so I bought a 2 pack. None of the chain auto parts stores carried Phillips, so I went with the Sylvania H7 Silverstar. Whiter light, but rated at 85 hours as opposed to the standard 150. I'll see tonight how much better the color temp is on these. Maybe they'll last a week or two, lol.

Are you replacing them with a cloth to hold them so as not to leave any fingerprints?

Damn didn’t realise it’s an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(10-12-2019, 01:31 PM)SauRoN Wrote:

Are you replacing them with a cloth to hold them so as not to leave any fingerprints?

Damn didn’t realise it’s an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An old thread but still wanted to respond as can benefit others. I usually use a microfiber towel but you can just hold the metal part of the bulb while installing the 2 prong connector and then use that connector to insert back in the hole. But probably equally important is to verify the package you buy has never been opened if in plastic and should is fully sealed and if buying one in a paper type box don’t take the first one on the shelf as someone may have opened and touch the bulb so reach towards the back part of the shelf or hanging rack to get one.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(10-12-2019, 03:39 PM)darrell Wrote: you can just hold the metal part of the bulb while installing the 2 prong connector and then use that connector to insert back in the hole.

That's how I do it. I never touch the glass part of the bulb with my bare hands.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(10-13-2019, 08:32 AM)Lee Wrote: That's how I do it. I never touch the glass part of the bulb with my bare hands.

On top of that I typically wipe down the bulb with alcohol in a clean tissue, if changing in the comfort my garage.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Jumped on mine at 0500 this morning to head off to work and, low & behold, No front light after I started it and had the Triangle from hell zeroing in on my Retinas from the dash. Switched bikes and called the shop from work seeing that the RS is still under warranty. They told me to bring it first thing in the morning and they'll take care of it. I may ask to sit and watch if they'll let me to see if they have any tricks up their sleeves.
A very technical operation indeed. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I also just replaced my low beam for the fourth time in 22,000 miles. When the original blew, I bought four Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H7 bulbs, which were about $20 a piece. I replaced both high and low beam with them. Now I've used the last one, and I've had it with this annoyance. The fine print on the packaging says lifespan is 340 hours. Hah! They don't last close to that, and no I do not touch the glass when installing them.
Last night I ordered replacement LEDs by ODX: H7 V3 3000 LUMENS for the low beam $64.00, and H7 S6 SERIES 6000 Lumens for the high beam $71.00. They are small, and will supposedly fit with no mods. Claimed lifespan is 30,000 hours. The specs are at website http://odx.ca, and I ordered them from https://shopping.shadetreepowersports.com/.

Yes, I know there are many who say LEDs cannot be used in a reflector designed for halogen, because you will blind oncoming traffic. We'll see. The website claims that simply by rotating the bulb (it rotates within its mount) you can adjust the beam correctly. I'll let you know how it goes.
Here's a great comparo video concerning lighting options. Also speaks directly to the LED coverage and rotation.
https://youtu.be/T5ECRsT30vI
(10-25-2019, 01:39 PM)mspratz Wrote: Last night I ordered replacement LEDs by ODX: H7 V3 3000 LUMENS for the low beam $64.00, and H7 S6 SERIES 6000 Lumens for the high beam $71.00. They are small, and will supposedly fit with no mods. Claimed lifespan is 30,000 hours. The specs are at website http://odx.ca, and I ordered them from https://shopping.shadetreepowersports.com/.

Yes, I know there are many who say LEDs cannot be used in a reflector designed for halogen, because you will blind oncoming traffic. We'll see. The website claims that simply by rotating the bulb (it rotates within its mount) you can adjust the beam correctly. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am really looking forward to the feedback on this one, Mike. Smile Here is a link to the product search result page for the RS.

I am in the same boat as you ... use Silverstar Ultras (if I have any) and the longer-lasting Sylvania XtraVision, which is less white than the Silverstar Ultras but last significantly longer.

These automotive bulbs will last longer in a car since the environment in which they work sees less vibration thank on a bike. Good LEDs should be less prone to vibratory failure than the glowing filament in the typical halogen bulb, I would think.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(10-25-2019, 09:18 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Here's a great comparo video concerning lighting options. Also speaks directly to the LED coverage and rotation.

FortNine is a pretty good Canadian YT channel. The guy seems pretty knowledgeable and his delivery is great. Thanks for the link.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(10-25-2019, 09:18 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Here's a great comparo video concerning lighting options. Also speaks directly to the LED coverage and rotation.
In fact Dave, this is the very video I watched just the other night that put me onto the ODX website. I really like the videos the Fortnine guy does. He is very scientific about how he evaluates and compares things. In this case there may be a bit of a conflict of interest, as the Fortnine website sells the ODX products.
(10-26-2019, 01:46 PM)mspratz Wrote:
I really like the videos the Fortnine guy does. He is very scientific about how he evaluates and compares things. In this case there may be a bit of a conflict of interest, as the Fortnine website sells the ODX products.
Agree - pretty professional for a YouTube channel. As a scientist, I especially liked his rain gear testing.... And he's not afraid to show off the small bikes, mentioning his TC 90 on one of the tool videos.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
The OEM low beam bulb lasted 4-yrs and 20K miles. I replaced it with a Hella extended life bulb basic level lumens. I rarely ride at night due to deer.

https://smile.amazon.com/HELLA-H7-Standa...r=8-5&th=1
(07-19-2020, 04:17 PM)36654 Wrote: The OEM low beam bulb lasted 4-yrs and 20K miles. I replaced it with a Hella extended life bulb basic level lumens. I rarely ride at night due to deer.

https://smile.amazon.com/HELLA-H7-Standa...r=8-5&th=1

Thanks for the link. I have a pair of Hella High Wattage H7 bulbs waiting to go in whenever another bulb blows, but from what I heard I have to watch the heat output. Goodness knows how long that bulb would last. I just hate the yellow light of standard bulbs.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS