Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro-last day of 2020
Good day everyone,
A quick introduction. I just returned to the boxer world after riding, in reverse order, K1600GT Sport, K1300S, Triumph Tiger 1050, K1200RS, and R1100RS. Before that assorted Yamaha and Norton twins.
When I say "just" I mean 111 miles on the clock. Years ago, while working Iron Horse Motorcycles, in Tucson, Arizona, it was suggested that riding between Thanksgiving and Christmas was very risky. I was selling the R11RS for the K1200RS, took it out on a sunny day to charge the battery, when someone came straight through the red light while I was turning left. Right, no riding before Christmas! But there's a break in the weather this Saturday, and I have brake-in miles to add on a bike that only looks a bit like my R11, but is in fact the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. Good thing because I didn't even test ride it. As a former K16 rider it's nice to ride something that's not scary top heavy.
I like to ride with one or two other people, at a brisk pace normally within 10 mph of the limit unless I'm passing. I like riding about a car-length ahead or behind the other riders. I don't mind exhaust systems with a bit of character. And finally, my politics tend to be...more urban than rural with no love for either ends of the spectrum.
Welcome to the Forum Community and to RS ownership. Quite a comprehensive introduction. No need to worry about politics on this forum ... we don't discuss that. Wink

I take it that you now have an R1250RS since it only has 111 miles on the clock. Smile Saw your other post on the K1600GT and thought the experience pulling off from a stop was interesting.

So, again, welcome to the Forum and hope you find it interesting and informative. Oh, and happy birthday tomorrow. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Welcome! When were you at Iron Horse? I spent a decent amount of time there when Marty owned the shop and John was still a salesman. I remember the grand opening when they moved. Great place...very welcoming to a poor grad student with no money and 20 year old R90S.
(01-01-2021, 04:30 PM)TriangleRider Wrote: Welcome! When were you at Iron Horse? I spent a decent amount of time there when Marty owned the shop and John was still a salesman. I remember the grand opening when they moved. Great place...very welcoming to a poor grad student with no money and 20 year old R90S.

I worked for Marty. I saw the old place before they moved, and before I had a BMW. I worked at their new, and current location. I retired from the Air Force in 1998 and that was my first civilian job ("will work for motorcycles...") Was a parts guy there, and spent a lot of time with Andy McDonald who was the service writer and used to write the Tech Q&A column for Rider Magazine. I worked there until I ended up in a cast--kinda put the customers off. Marty gave me a great deal on the Graphite Grey K12OORS and we parted professionally on good terms.

So, did you keep the R90S?
(12-31-2020, 10:22 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Welcome to the Forum Community and to RS ownership. Quite a comprehensive introduction. No need to worry about politics on this forum ... we don't discuss that. Wink

I take it that you now have an R1250RS since it only has 111 miles on the clock. Smile Saw your other post on the K1600GT and thought the experience pulling off from a stop was interesting.

So, again, welcome to the Forum and hope you find it interesting and informative. Oh, and happy birthday tomorrow. Big Grin

Thank you for the welcome. My wife passengered for the first time and likes the RS over the K1600 as much as I. A break in the weather let us get in a 100 miles of back road today it's the start of a beautiful friendship.
Welcome to the board O'er TheHill. There are a few of us elder statesman on the board.