Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rider Performance
Just got done rereading "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. In the mid nineties Nick won two AMA National Championships and had a few second and third places finishes in the championships. He was a lead instructor at Freddie Spencer's High Performance Riding School. In the eighties and nineties Nick was a popular motorcycle journalist. One of his most popular article was "The Pace" in which he explained his thoughts on riding safely when sport riding.

The next book I will be rereading is "Smooth Riding The Pridmore Way" by Reggie Pridmore. Reggie Pridmore won three AMA Superbike Championships back in the seventies. His motorcycle school, CLASS, has been (was?) a popular training course for street riders and other riders.

There are other books I will be scanning this winter/early spring. I find rereading these books helps me focus on practicing proper techniques in the early spring which will hopefully carry through the rest of the riding season.
We got a free CLASS course with the purchase of our 1991 K75S bikes.
If you want to feel fast and smooth, ride pillion with Reg or his son Jason for a couple laps.

Me

Debbie

Debbie on one of the instructors K100RS. The instructor was Fran Crane. Sadly she passed awhile a few years later after a motorcycle accident.

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(01-28-2021, 01:36 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: Just got done rereading "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. In the mid nineties Nick won two AMA National Championships and had a few second and third places finishes in the championships. He was a lead instructor at Freddie Spencer's High Performance Riding School. In the eighties and nineties Nick was a popular motorcycle journalist. One of his most popular article was "The Pace" in which he explained his thoughts on riding safely when sport riding.

The next book I will be rereading is "Smooth Riding The Pridmore Way" by Reggie Pridmore. Reggie Pridmore won three AMA Superbike Championships back in the seventies. His motorcycle school, CLASS, has been (was?) a popular training course for street riders and other riders.

There are other books I will be scanning this winter/early spring. I find rereading these books helps me focus on practicing proper techniques in the early spring which will hopefully carry through the rest of the riding season.
"How I spent my winter vacation...."
Good reading.

I've communicated a couple of times with Nick through his writing years, about the role of fitness in safe riding and racing - starting when he was the inaugural editor of the now defunct Sport Rider. Very personable. Still does hand written notes. From Wisconsin - if that explains anything. Not one to ask others to do the menial work, he last called me about a book order a couple of years ago. I think you'll find he still runs a travelling Yamaha-based riding school out of Las Vegas..., which I'm embarrassed to say, have never taken the time to sample..., but I have the book.Rolleyes
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
After reading several books and dozens of track days, my best advice is- Concentrate on being smooth- and fast will come all by itself.

Frank
'23 R1250RS, 8000 mi. 1 yr.
'03 R1100S BCR #6/200
'85 K100/1100RS- 38 yrs. 331,000 mi.
'17R1200RS- 51,054 mi. (gone)
'16 R1200RS- 28,322 mi. (gone)
'11 R1200RT-30,000 mi. (gone)
'05 R1200ST-58,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP-89,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S-15,000 mi. (gone)
560K+ BMW miles
(01-28-2021, 05:20 PM)Lee Wrote: We got a free CLASS course with the purchase of our 1991 K75S bikes.
If you want to feel fast and smooth, ride pillion with Reg or his son Jason for a couple laps

I had a red 1988 K75s. Great bike. That must have been a thrill being a passenger behind either Pridmore.
Long story short I was on a track once for a partial lap with Jason Pridmore and Elena Myers. There is fast and there is FAST.
Fran Crane was a real rider and a great ambassador for our sport.
"How I spent my winter vacation...."
Good reading.

I've communicated a couple of times with Nick through his writing years, about the role of fitness in safe riding and racing - starting when he was the inaugural editor of the now defunct Sport Rider. Very personable. Still does hand written notes. From Wisconsin - if that explains anything. Not one to ask others to do the menial work, he last called me about a book order a couple of years ago. I think you'll find he still runs a travelling Yamaha-based riding school out of Las Vegas..., which I'm embarrassed to say, have never taken the time to sample..., but I have the book.Rolleyes
[/quote]

Ray, I am sure you have been to most schools so you are forgiven for not attended one of Nick's schools.
After reading several books and dozens of track days, my best advice is- Concentrate on being smooth- and fast will come all by itself.

Frank
[/quote]

Frank, you are absolutely correct.
(01-29-2021, 09:07 AM)Olgry1 Wrote: After reading several books and dozens of track days, my best advice is- Concentrate on being smooth- and fast will come all by itself.

Frank

Frank, you are absolutely correct.

Right - slow is smooth, smooth is fast..., at least, that's my excuse for being slow.

And for the record, I've only made it to Keith Code's courses - first in '91. (Prior to that first run, I was pretty confident about my skills.... Confused) I keep going back instead of other courses, because it's fun to watch Keith's brain in action, and not clear when he'll retire. Nick will hopefully be active for a lot more years.

The local shop runs a 2 day off-road course, but I just haven't found the time to go and keep myself really honest about how poorly my big bike handles the dirt.

My mantra the last 9 months - "Next year."
"The local shop runs a 2 day off-road course, but I just haven't found the time to go and keep myself really honest about how poorly my big bike handles the dirt."

Why I wish the BMW performance center courses would offer a road only school instead of splitting it 1/2 road and 1/2 off road. Off road is what they make dirt bikes for. IMHO off road on a big bike is like auto crossing a full size American sedan. Even if you put performance tires on it it's out of what it was designed to do. Doesn't mean others won't do it or shouldn't have the opportunity to, just not my cup of tea. YMMV.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(01-22-2022, 07:13 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Why I wish the BMW performance center courses would offer a road only school instead of splitting it 1/2 road and 1/2 off road. Off road is what they make dirt bikes for. IMHO off road on a big bike is like auto crossing a full size American sedan. Even if you put performance tires on it it's out of what it was designed to do. Doesn't mean others won't do it or shouldn't have the opportunity to, just not my cup of tea. YMMV.

Looks like they have a one day and two day on road coarse.
https://bmwperformancecenter.com/motorrad/schools

The BMW MOA Foundation will write you a $250 check for taking a coarse.
$250 for MOA members or $100 for non members.
https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/paulb
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Thanks Lee. ?
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(01-28-2021, 01:36 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: Just got done rereading "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. In the mid nineties Nick won two AMA National Championships and had a few second and third places finishes in the championships. He was a lead instructor at Freddie Spencer's High Performance Riding School. In the eighties and nineties Nick was a popular motorcycle journalist. One of his most popular article was "The Pace" in which he explained his thoughts on riding safely when sport riding.

Nick is now is part owner and a lead instructor of Yamaha Champions School. I've done multiple CLASS and Code Superbike Schools. YCS had the biggest effect on my riding...by far. They now have an online version that is basically everything they teach during the classroom portions of their schools. The online course offers a lot of rewards for minimal investment.

Make sure you are reading "The Pace 2.0". There is a huge change vs the original.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/be...ng-skills/
(01-24-2022, 06:43 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: Nick is now is part owner and a lead instructor of Yamaha Champions School. I've done multiple CLASS and Code Superbike Schools. YCS had the biggest effect on my riding...by far. They now have an online version that is basically everything they teach during the classroom portions of their schools. The online course offers a lot of rewards for minimal investment.

Here is the link on YouTube.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Many moons ago, at the WERA Finals, I had the pleasure of seeing Nick ride the Britten at Road Atlanta. Brilliant machine ridden by a very capable pilot!
As far as training, I've twice attended Aaron Stevenson's Cornerspeed school at VIR. Once in '01, then again in '18 as part of a 2 day Mid Atlantic Ducati event. Absolutely the most fun I've ever spent on a bike. Going back for multiple track days (in between those 2 dates) lets you use and improve on what you learn in the school. Not to mention how valuable the training is for everyday riding Big Grin
Two quick bits of Nick for winter reading.:
1. Ienatsch Tuesdays/Cycle World
https://www.cycleworld.com/authors/nick-ienatsch/
2. Finally started Nick's short novel The Hill Ranch Racers. Looks like it might be a one night read suitable for hot chocolate and a fire, while still providing inspiration for an early wake time...
Yee hah.
Follow-up:
1. Hill Ranch Racers is a bit of inspirational writing aimed at adolescent riders, so really struck a chord with me.  (And all the good guys live happily ever after.)

2. Catch a bit of Nick Ienatsch in this month's Owners News. Not too many writers can turn advice we all know about - covering the front brake, throttling off to the brake, and remaining calm and smooth when faced with unexpected danger - into a bit of entertainment.
...and apparently, still good bedtime reading....[Image: 6cfab76bccd336d8ee74165601034e8d.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk