Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Motocamping Trip of 2021 | Mission Tejas State Park | 6-7 March 2021
Texas State Parks were all booked up in March, likely due to Spring Break, but Mission Tejas had a couple of sites when I reserved about a week before. I soon found out why.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
and yet..., must seem like a long way from work and the usual routine around the house.

Surprised that with the emphasis on firearm ownership in Texas, folks would dare be so disrespectful of others at 2 in the morning.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
I agree ... but when it comes to camping in Texas, I am told that it is not like other states. Seems to be more of a sense of "here I am free in the woods ... I can let my inner jackass out ..." Especially among the novice campers. But in all fairness I suppose that since this is a one-time (per year?) event it is "tolerated" by some who were camping. To be honest it was the women in the site next door that irritated me more.

Wife and I go camping for the peace and quiet and to get away from the home / work routine. We tend to like parks where there are like-minded campers (RVers best) or no campers at all (rare).

Next weekend I am going back to a favourite state park of mine (Fairfield Lake State Park) and at least the site would be dramatically better (its actually a site more than big enough for my travel trailer). And there should be no events there that weekend.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
You looked tired in the video. Nothing worse than inconsiderate loud people when you are trying to sleep.
(03-14-2021, 01:43 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: You looked tired in the video. Nothing worse than inconsiderate loud people when you are trying to sleep.

I was tired in the tent the Sunday morning, but the cool air outside perked me up and then the ride home was so refreshing. I have to enjoy the nice weather while it lasts before it goes to sh*t. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
LOL, I don't think you recruited any new motocampers with that video. But, what you presented is the reality at many places. The sites in that park are way too close to start with, but an event like that (a bunch of friends that likely includes a decent amount of drinking) would be noisy no matter how far apart the sites are.

Do you ever use hipcamp? It is a great way to get away from the crowds.

You and I approach camping very differently, so it is great to see how you go about your trips. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!
(04-19-2021, 09:53 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: LOL, I don't think you recruited any new motocampers with that video. But, what you presented is the reality at many places. The sites in that park are way too close to start with, but an event like that (a bunch of friends that likely includes a decent amount of drinking) would be noisy no matter how far apart the sites are.

Hehehe ... none of my videos seek to recruit anyone to anything, especially motocamping ... see my username! Big Grin Just showing how I do it.

I agree that the noisiness would be apparent no matter how far apart the sites are. I was actually more irritated by the people in the next site and they were relatively quiet except for the occasional outburst.

(04-19-2021, 09:53 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: Do you ever use hipcamp? It is a great way to get away from the crowds.

Never heard of Hipcamp until now. Looks interesting as another camping resource to add to my small collection. To be honest I would love to get into dispersed camping which would solve the problem with crowds. These guys exemplify the type of camping I'd like to do but with a CPAP, that presents an additional challenge. I do like how Sterling Noren (first one) typically cooks his own great looking meals too.

Motorcycle Travel Channel
FTA Adventures

Truth is presently, my motocamping is really based on the desire to keep the cost down when long-distance travelling. This started in 2016 when I went to the National Rally in Hamburg and then on to Canada, camping along the way. On trips like that one needs to be able to sleep immediately after a 500-600 mile day and get a good night's rest. As a matter of fact, next month I have a long road trip and I am thinking of camping along the way.

(04-19-2021, 09:53 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: You and I approach camping very differently, so it is great to see how you go about your trips. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Oh you are most welcome. But I am very curious to know how you motocamp. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I have a camping experience, totally a sidebar to the spirit of the OP, but sticking with the "Inner Jackass" theme. I think it was 2013, at the Indy MotoGP event. My brother and I were camping at the large area, across from the track. We set up early in the weekend and as more and more campers rolled in, creating rows of RVs and tents, found ourselves at the start of a quite large grassy dragstrip. Moped and scooters would line up (with marginally drunk operators) and proceed to prove their reaction times. But nothing beat the stunt show from a group close to our site. Beautiful wheelies and displays of stunt skill. Picture, if you will, a woman attempting to shoe ski behind a scooter. On the grass. With hands firmly on the grab bar, the scooter launches, she actually hangs in there, for about 3' before (predictably) shoe to tarmac friction decides to rear it's ugly head. The grace of that face first dive into the grass was dramatic. A brief second of disbelief and silence, then the roar of laughter from her and her "adoring fans" ensued. Half of her face green from the grass stains. It was the funniest thing I think my brother and I have ever seen.
Almost as good as the real racing on that glorious weekend Big Grin
Hahaha ... Dave i truly would expect no less from where you were camped. That would be expected when camping at a MotoGP ... all part of the experience, even if it had nothing to do with MotoGP. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Great story Dave Big Grin
We no longer camp but I would guess we have camped more nights than moteled on trips.
It seemed most campgrounds had sites fairly close to each other.
We would usually ride through the grounds before going to the office and request a site or area to get a decent site and try not to be too close to others.
It helped that most of our trips were spring or fall.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-20-2021, 08:31 PM)Lee Wrote: We no longer camp but I would guess we have camped more nights than moteled on trips.
We would usually ride through the grounds before going to the office and request a site or area to get a decent site and try not to be too close to others.

Before Covid especially, that was possible as the campgrounds were not as crowded. Now most are pre-booked so that most of the sites other than primitive sites would be reserved. But riding around even after reserving a particular site, is a good idea. You never know when a better site would become free. Problem with primitive sites is that it is usually a hike in dragging all your gear, since the parking is not next to the tent at the site.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-19-2021, 02:26 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Oh you are most welcome. But I am very curious to know how you motocamp. Smile

I take a very minimalist attitude towards cooking. I generally don't eat much when riding, because big meals make me tired and "blah" feeling. At camp, I don't do anything that requires more than boiling water and avoid that if I can help it (pre-made sandwiches, fruits, bars, etc.). My preference is a book and light meal, rather then spending the time and effort to cook and clean. I am with you on instant coffee. I used to brew, but modern instant coffee is pretty good and the convenience is impossible to beat.

When I car camp, all bets are off and I pack all of the cooking gear and do it up
Big Grin
(04-21-2021, 06:32 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: I take a very minimalist attitude towards cooking. I generally don't eat much when riding, because big meals make me tired and "blah" feeling. At camp, I don't do anything that requires more than boiling water and avoid that if I can help it (pre-made sandwiches, fruits, bars, etc.). My preference is a book and light meal, rather then spending the time and effort to cook and clean. I am with you on instant coffee. I used to brew, but modern instant coffee is pretty good and the convenience is impossible to beat.

When I car camp, all bets are off and I pack all of the cooking gear and do it up
Big Grin

I hear you, and nothing wrong with that. When I am travelling and camping along the way I tend to be like that. Light breakfast at camp, light lunch along the way and lighter supper. When doing an overnighter I like to have a regular home cooked meal for supper, as a challenge more than anything else. So called typical camping food bores me. I also fully understand when you go car camping you bring all the gear. Similarly when I go with the wife in the trailer but for the location it is not really camping. Big Grin Then we eat better than we do at home!

Regarding coffee ... I bought a travel espresso maker that can also make Americanos and will be bringing that for the first time this weekend. I will do a review video of it there as well. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-20-2021, 09:33 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 08:31 PM)Lee Wrote: We no longer camp but I would guess we have camped more nights than moteled on trips.

Before Covid especially, that was possible as the campgrounds were not as crowded. Now most are pre-booked so that most of the sites other than primitive sites would be reserved. But riding around even after reserving a particular site, is a good idea. You never know when a better site would become free. Problem with primitive sites is that it is usually a hike in dragging all your gear, since the parking is not next to the tent at the site.

I forgot most places have been full this last year.
The small state park near our home was full every weekend last year. Tent and RV sites.
They said that had never happened in the past.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-21-2021, 07:10 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Regarding coffee ... I bought a travel espresso maker that can also make Americanos and will be bringing that for the first time this weekend. I will do a review video of it there as well. Smile

Please do! I have been looking at one made by Wacaco. In theory, one of these could save me lots of $$$ in purchased coffee. If your experience is positive, I might go for it. Please emphasize ease of cleaning in your review.
(04-22-2021, 08:41 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: Please do! I have been looking at one made by Wacaco. In theory, one of these could save me lots of $$$ in purchased coffee. If your experience is positive, I might go for it. Please emphasize ease of cleaning in your review.

Well look at that - you hit the nail right on the head! I will be reviewing the Wacaco products during the trip, including cleaning. Big Grin I could give you the answer now but then you woudn't watch the review video. Wink

I bought this because I am too cheap to personally buy coffee at Starbucks (told you I am the atypical BMW motorcycle owner) ... I can only crack my wallet as far as $1 for a cup of regular coffee. Big Grin But I wouldn't refuse a cup of Starbucks coffee if someone gave it to me. BUT I will spend whatever to be able to make it for myself, for cheaper. Its the principle of the thing ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Here is the promised video. Smile

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(05-09-2021, 01:56 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Here is the promised video. Smile

Great video..thanks! It is great you showed the entire process. I'll stick to freeze-dried for moto-camping, but maybe consider one for car camping when I have more space and time in the morning.
(05-09-2021, 06:45 PM)TriangleRider Wrote: Great video..thanks! It is great you showed the entire process. I'll stick to freeze-dried for moto-camping, but maybe consider one for car camping when I have more space and time in the morning.

There’s always time for great coffee.

Glad you liked the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS