Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Los Angeles
Hi everybody, new member here from sunny Southern California. Just got my R1250RS and I'm looking for information on upgrades and accessories. This is my second BMW, my first one being an 80's R65LS (don't remember the actual year). My previous motorbike was a Multistrada 1100S. I commute daily almost exclusively on my motorcycle. Looking forward to gaining and contributing knowledge to the community.

Thanks,

Big O
[Image: 20210910-193838.jpg]
This motorcycle comes very well equipped. Upgrades? I can't think of any. Accessories? The sky is the limit. If you are commuting, I would think luggage should be at the top of the list. Panniers? Top case? Tank bag? Tail bag?

For my bike, I have: BMW Navigator VI, BMW panniers, BMW soft tail bag, Wunderlich tank bag, Wunderlich seat, BMW driving lights, Machine Art Moto cylinder head protectors and rear mud guard, Pirates Lair helmet lock (I think no longer available), dumb mechanical key (non fob).

Probably cylinder head protectors first, the side stand keeps the bike almost upright and it's easy for it to tip to the right and fall over.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
There are also wind screen options that work well for touring and I installed Wunderlich flat bars for a more upright seating position and then mirror extensions from Hornig.
Yes, luggage has been on the top of my list. I'm about to post my first question regarding mounting a top case.

Funny you should mention the sidestand. I find it weird how upright it keeps the bike. I've been trying to figure out which crash bars to go with.

Thanks for the welcome,

Big O
(09-18-2021, 07:25 AM)Big O Wrote: . I've been trying to figure out which crash bars to go with.

Instead of bars most people use head covers. Machineart Moto or BMW.
Here's the Machineart Moto covers. https://machineartmoto.com/r1200gsa/2019-gs-adv/x-head/

For the sidestand I set my suspension on two up to raise the back end of the bike.
Some people stand before shutting off the bike letting the suspension raise.
When you shut the bike off the suspension will lock.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Thanks for that. I saw the Machineart Moto head covers, but wasn't sure of their real world effectiveness. Is the reduction in cooling airflow anything to be concerned about? My riding is mostly commute in Los Angeles and that has always made engine cooling a priority for me.
(09-18-2021, 08:38 AM)Big O Wrote: Thanks for that. I saw the Machineart Moto head covers, but wasn't sure of their real world effectiveness. Is the reduction in cooling airflow anything to be concerned about? My riding is mostly commute in Los Angeles and that has always made engine cooling a priority for me.

I use them in Texas with no ill effects.

And welcome.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(09-17-2021, 09:12 PM)Big O Wrote: Hi everybody, new member here from sunny Southern California. Just got my R1250RS and I'm looking for information on upgrades and accessories. This is my second BMW, my first one being an 80's R65LS (don't remember the actual year). My previous motorbike was a Multistrada 1100S. I commute daily almost exclusively on my motorcycle. Looking forward to gaining and contributing knowledge to the community.

Welcome to the Forum Community, Big O. You will find lots of solid information here, along with great tips on accessories and in some cases how to install them.

As Lee said, many accessories and maybe not so many upgrades to this excellent bike. That said, most changes to the windshield can be called an upgrade as the stock windshield is probably its weakest feature that can be upgraded. Another change I would call an upgrade is the addition of a Machineart Moto (MaMo) Mudsling. The bike comes with a tiny excuse for a barrier on the lower part of the rear spring and the MaMo product actually protects the suspension from grit from the rear wheel.

Other changes are typically farkles and accessories that are subjective or may be necessary for a better personal fit.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro