Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Must Have" Accessories
The title of this thread is pretty easy to find on the numerous GS forums, but I did a fair amount of research and couldn't come up with much from the interweb about what folks think are the best/first/most important accessories for the RS. So here goes.

On my short list are a couple of things that are driven by my 6'4" body and my 34" inseam.

First up are risers, as my arms aren't super-long and I had great experiences with Motone "Up & Over" risers on my two Bonnies (T100 and T120). MV Motorrad seems to fit the bill as far as both up and back, but Helibar risers get great reviews from BMW owners as well. Would love to hear from any of you who have used either (or both).

Next up is lowering the pegs, and MV seems to have a very nice set-up as well, but Suburban Machinery also gets lots of thumbs up comments. Observations on that are welcome if you have any.

Protecting the rear suspension area seems like low hanging fruit, and MachineArt Moto's Mudsling seems to be the go-to for the GS/GSA crowd. I'll certainly never be off-road except for the occasional parking lot or gravel driveway, but just keeping clean and protected that open area underneath the seat makes sense, doesn't it?

For now, I'm going to stick with the stock windscreen, as I want to get used to the seating position(s) and the bike overall before I go down that rabbit-hole. Plus, there's lots out there, but if you have a no-brainer idea, let it fly.

On the front end, the MachineArt Moto "Avant Guard" can't be installed without removing the lower fairing "winglets" (which I can't quite picture), so that's a deal-breaker for me. Would a simple fender extender and better radiator protector suffice?

I'm adding the rear rack and will do a smallish tail bag for everyday and some sort of dry bag/duffel if needed for different trips (not a top-case guy, I guess), but I really like the way the RS looks both WITH and without the panniers, and, to my eye, the BMW model (in "asphalt grey" or whatever they call it) really nails the integration with the rear lines of the bike and seems to hold tighter to the frame than, say, the SHAD version. Any good/bad to be aware of?

Beyond that, it's down to the true farkles, like brake and clutch reservoir covers and stuff that is just personal perference. But, what about the little plugs that folks seem to use to finish of the frame tubes? OCD or good idea?

This is gonna be fun, and thanks in advance for anything you have, on this little list or anything else that I've missed (Machine Art Moto valve covers?)!
KC Area
As I've noted on prior threads, I've found no 'must have' items for the RS. This is a well-designed bike that's a thriller right out of the box.

About your height with a 36 inch inseam, I did go with a sports seat, but purchases for ergonomics are personal must haves, and not for everyone..I also traded out the footpegs for some K 1300 metal pegs, And I added some sliders from R&G, but again, not really a must have for everyone.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(10-27-2021, 11:31 PM)Ray Wrote: As I've noted on prior threads, I've found no 'must have' items for the RS. This is a well-designed bike that's a thriller right out of the box.

About your height with a 36 inch inseam, I did go with a sports seat, but purchases for ergonomics are personal must haves, and not for everyone..I also traded out the footpegs for some K 1300 metal pegs, And I added some sliders from R&G, but again, not really a must have for everyone.

"Must have" might be better replaced with "most common," and those that are ergo-related are indeed very specific to the rider.
I've also got the sport seat on order, which is a good start.
KC Area
(10-27-2021, 08:28 PM)ESquared Wrote: This is gonna be fun, and thanks in advance for anything you have, on this little list or anything else that I've missed (Machine Art Moto valve covers?)!

Yes, get the Machine Art Moto valve covers.
If you install them you probably won't drop the bike Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(10-27-2021, 08:28 PM)ESquared Wrote: On the front end, the MachineArt Moto "Avant Guard" can't be installed without removing the lower fairing "winglets" (which I can't quite picture), so that's a deal-breaker for me. Would a simple fender extender and better radiator protector suffice?

Take a look at the front engine case on our R1200RSs. They are still in very good condition and we did not use a Avant Guard.
The RS front fender is too flexible for most fender extenders.
These are the first bikes I did not use fender extenders on because I didn't find any I liked the look of. At least the front engine case is durable and easy to wipe off.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
To make sure people see me I like extra lights front and back.

We also have precut reflective film on the back inner half of our bags.
It's black if there's no light shining on it.
https://motoreflective.com/

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Thanks, Lee. Very helpful, and will give the front-end of your 1200s a look!
KC Area
(10-28-2021, 08:11 AM)Lee Wrote: These are the first bikes I did not use fender extenders on because I didn't find any I liked the look of. At least the front engine case is durable and easy to wipe off.

This was also my feeling and I never did get the AvantGard as I felt it was not needed, even without the fender extender; 57k miles later the front of my engine has no damage.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
In digging into adjustable footpeg options, I came across "Option 719 Classic Billet Pack II", which includes "adjustable rider footrests," but nowhere can I find an explanation of exactly what that means. I'm assuming it means adjustable in a downward (not upward) position or two, but it's unclear whether there are 2 or 3 positions and how far they adjust from "standard." Does anyone know or can you point me in the right direction?
KC Area
(10-28-2021, 07:33 PM)ESquared Wrote: In digging into adjustable footpeg options, I came across "Option 719 Classic Billet Pack II", which includes "adjustable rider footrests," but nowhere can I find an explanation of exactly what that means. I'm assuming it means adjustable in a downward (not upward) position or two, but it's unclear whether there are 2 or 3 positions and how far they adjust from "standard." Does anyone know or can you point me in the right direction?

On the K1300S when you bought the HP pegs you got a new milled holder which had three positions.
On the R1250RS Option 719 kit you keep the original holder so it appears you can't adjust the foot pegs up and back like the K1300S.
On the HP pegs the lowest position was the same as the stock pegs.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(10-29-2021, 07:24 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 07:33 PM)ESquared Wrote: In digging into adjustable footpeg options, I came across "Option 719 Classic Billet Pack II", which includes "adjustable rider footrests," but nowhere can I find an explanation of exactly what that means. I'm assuming it means adjustable in a downward (not upward) position or two, but it's unclear whether there are 2 or 3 positions and how far they adjust from "standard." Does anyone know or can you point me in the right direction?

On the K1300S when you bought the HP pegs you got a new milled holder which had three positions.
On the R1250RS Option 719 kit you keep the original holder so it appears you can't adjust the foot pegs up and back like the K1300S.

Thanks, Lee. It's a head-scratcher. I've sent a note to Peter to see if he can clarify what "adjustable" means in this case. I've read on another forum that the adjustable peg kit (purchased as a separate item, not part of the Option 719 bundle) was an improvement, but it's not clear to me that the two are the same. More to come, I hope!
KC Area
(10-29-2021, 07:38 AM)ESquared Wrote:

Thanks, Lee. It's a head-scratcher. I've sent a note to Peter to see if he can clarify what "adjustable" means in this case. I've read on another forum that the adjustable peg kit (purchased as a separate item, not part of the Option 719 bundle) was an improvement, but it's not clear to me that the two are the same. More to come, I hope!

Looks like I was wrong on not being able to adjust the peg.
Here's a picture from the parts fiche.
I don't know is the lowest position is same as stock.

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(10-29-2021, 07:48 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 07:38 AM)ESquared Wrote:

Looks like I was wrong on not being able to adjust the peg.
Here's a picture from the parts fiche.
I don't know is the lowest position is same as stock.

Hence my confusion, huh?

Without some sense of scale/dimension, it's hard to tell how far apart those adjustment holes are, but it doesn't look like very far. And, to your point, it's totally unclear (to me, at least) which of those holes is equivalent to the starting position of the standard pegs.

What a rabbit-hole!
KC Area
The stock peg feelers touch surprisingly early. This will only get worse by lowering them.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(10-29-2021, 11:09 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: The stock peg feelers touch surprisingly early. This will only get worse by lowering them.
Wait, what? You guys have peg feelers?
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Just to close the loop, I've since put together that: a) the downward drop distance is something like 0.79"; and b) as the pegs go down (into one of the three holes in the pic above), they also go BACK.
Not my notion of "relaxing the triangle", so I've decided to go with the Suburban Machinery kit. Actually talked at some length with Terry (the owner, I assume, from the way he talked) today and it was a great conversation.
His kit takes the pegs down by about 1.25" and forward about 0.4" (as I recall).
Now to figure out the risers, and my triangle will be better, I believe.
KC Area
(10-29-2021, 08:58 PM)ESquared Wrote: Just to close the loop, I've since put together that: a) the downward drop distance is something like 0.79"; and b) as the pegs go down (into one of the three holes in the pic above), they also go BACK.
Not my notion of "relaxing the triangle", so I've decided to go with the Suburban Machinery kit. Actually talked at some length with Terry (the owner, I assume, from the way he talked) today and it was a great conversation.
His kit takes the pegs down by about 1.25" and forward about 0.4" (as I recall).

Don't get carried away buying mods before you buy the bike.
Live with it for awhile and see what you think.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(10-30-2021, 07:40 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 08:58 PM)ESquared Wrote: Just to close the loop, I've since put together that: a) the downward drop distance is something like 0.79"; and b) as the pegs go down (into one of the three holes in the pic above), they also go BACK.

Don't get carried away buying mods before you buy the bike.
Live with it for awhile and see what you think.

Yes, good counsel! I'll have a much better idea what I can live with once I get my RS test ride in this afternoon! Both of those RSs are standard seat/pegs/bars, correct?
KC Area
(10-30-2021, 07:56 AM)ESquared Wrote: Both of those RSs are standard seat/pegs/bars, correct?

That's correct.

Where do you go for a test ride in the KC area?
I rarely test ride bikes there because it's in the city.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(10-30-2021, 10:45 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 07:56 AM)ESquared Wrote: Both of those RSs are standard seat/pegs/bars, correct?

That's correct.

Where do you go for a test ride in the KC area?
I rarely test ride bikes there because it's in the city.

Great test ride today for my first time on a boxer! It was Debbie's bike, according to Peter, and, while it confirms that the "triangle" mods I was planning to make are 100% in order, it was still very easy to get used to, and a blast to ride! A couple of minutes to figure out the "footwork," and from there it was "have more torque, sir!" time.

The typical route from Engle's is East on Truman Rd under the highway toward downtown Independence. You pass by Harry Truman's home and end up in the Independence square.

There's a nice hilly sweeper (uphill going out, downhill on the way back) just East of the freeway, so it's a great way to get started and an even better way to end! It's not long, but it's told me what I needed to know about four bikes so far!

The RS was definitely a new experience for me, and I think I get it when I read about the character of the engine and how responsive it is. This bike encourages you to go faster.

So, we did the paperwork as far as we could, as the mothership is still not even doling out allocations to dealers on RSs, although Peter said that's likely to change by mid-November-ish.

ETA on a finished bike is probably late April, best anyone can guess.

Sold!
KC Area