Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS Cradle - Guess I'll Just Move it and Figure it Out Later
I'm certainly no technophobe, but I've read a bunch of fairly sophisticated exchanges on the whole world of GPS options in Beemer-land, and it's kind of daunting.

Fact is, during my first months of ownership (commencing next spring sometime TBD), I'll be committed to learning the bike, getting used to the tech overall (ex-GPS) and sticking to trips within 250-300 miles on routes that I either already know or can figure out the old fashioned way.

That said, the positioning of the GPS cradle makes no sense to me, so I guess I'll opt for the Moto-Mate relo bracket and have the dealer take care of that while the bike's being prepped and my other mods are taken care of. Step 1, in my mind.

Beyond that, is there general advice to be had? I've read many threads on GPS (in general) vs. rigging up your phone, but a lot of that content is more generic and non-specific to the RS and the Navi VI unit. Food for thought, but no compelling conclusion.

Then there's chatter about BMW's Navi VII - which sounds like it might be due, as there seem to be quite a few discussions about the glitchiness of the current Version VI. User error? I dunno, you tell me.

And what about other Garmin options, Zumo, etc.? Do they all fit in that cradle, or is that another $50 adapter? It's not so much the expense as it is all the layers of connectivity, and THEN there's the matter of what the TFT screen can and can't tell you. It's really sort of boggling.

So, is "move it and forget it for now" a sound plan? No doubt, the cradle will sit there and mock me on every ride out of the box, daring me to take the plunge, which I might do, but how do I get smarter about what to do, when, how and with whose help?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
KC Area
Just know that the TFT is used as a hub. You can/may connect your BMW Nav V or VI, your phone, your helmet communication system.

There is no native navigation in the TFT without a phone connection.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(11-08-2021, 02:10 PM)ESquared Wrote: Then there's chatter about BMW's Navi VII - which sounds like it might be due, as there seem to be quite a few discussions about the glitchiness of the current Version VI. User error? I dunno, you tell me.

I have not seen any solid information about a Nav VII. Garmin did come out with a updated version of the Nav VI.
I would ask to have a new one ordered instead of getting one off the shelf.
You will not be able to see a map on the TFT. I like to see a map to make sure the directions make sense.
Like you mentioned it's best to learn the GPS on routes you know.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(11-08-2021, 02:59 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: Just know that the TFT is used as a hub. You can/may connect your BMW Nav V or VI, your phone, your helmet communication system.

There is no native navigation in the TFT without a phone connection.

I knew there'd be a test right of the bat! I guess I'm gonna have to go figure out what a "hub" is, so we can take this to the next level. Made me show my cards.

Well played!
KC Area
Okay, now I get it. I'm inclined to get through next season as-is, and see what I'm needing at that time. If NAVI VII is released, let's see it, and see what it does compared to VI. Life's full of trade-offs.

But, you guys think the cradle relo is the right move, or no?
KC Area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPoILCj...AYSingLife
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(11-08-2021, 05:48 PM)ESquared Wrote: Okay, now I get it. I'm inclined to get through next season as-is, and see what I'm needing at that time. If NAVI VII is released, let's see it, and see what it does compared to VI. Life's full of trade-offs.

A month ago I would have said get the Moto Mate first thing.
Now I think it's best to live with the bike for awhile, then decide.
I've ridden my bike about 900 miles and a couple hundred on Deb's and not sure if I need the Moto Mate.
The R1200RS dash was not easy to read so I used the GPS as my dash.
The GPS was too low to use to use on a regular basis.

The TFT on the R1200RS is easy to read and in a good location and now I don't need to look at the GPS very often.

I'm going to wait until next spring to see if I really need to raise my GPS.
Even with the sound shut off on my GPS it's rare I miss a turn because I also use paper maps in my tank bag window.
It also helps that most of the time I don't have a route in the GPS Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(11-08-2021, 06:20 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPoILCj...AYSingLife

Thanks very much! Will need some quality time with this!
KC Area
(11-08-2021, 08:34 PM)Lee Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 05:48 PM)ESquared Wrote: Okay, now I get it. I'm inclined to get through next season as-is, and see what I'm needing at that time. If NAVI VII is released, let's see it, and see what it does compared to VI. Life's full of trade-offs.

A month ago I would have said get the Moto Mate first thing.
Now I think it's best to live with the bike for awhile, then decide.
I've ridden my bike about 900 miles and a couple hundred on Deb's and not sure if I need the Moto Mate.
The R1200RS dash was not easy to read so I used the GPS as my dash.
The GPS was too low to use to use on a regular basis

The TFT on the R1200RS is easy to read and in a good location and now I don't need to look at the GPS very often.

I'm going to wait until next spring to see if I really need to raise my GPS.
Even with the sound shut off on my GPS it's rare I miss a turn because I also use paper maps in my tank bag window.
It also helps that most of the time I don't have a route in the GPS Smile

Good points all, and much to think about! I'm probably just old (and old-school) enough to believe I'd really enjoy the process of figuring out a route with maps and notes and tank bag windows.

I'll watch the video provided above and sleep on this one a while. I've got some time to figure it out.

Thanks for your thoughts and observations.
KC Area
(11-08-2021, 05:48 PM)ESquared Wrote: But, you guys think the cradle relo is the right move, or no?
Maybe.

I've never moved mine.

I'm still a big fan of riding the bike for a while before changing things.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."

I'll answer your last question first as it is easier. I think that relocating the GPS was the right move (for me) because the factory location was sub-optimal (my first choice of adjective was less complimentary) from a safety and usability standpoint. If above the dash is good enough for the GS, why not the RS. Also, if you look at other bikes on the web (different manufacturers, OEM and DIY installations) you'd see that having it above the dash is the location of choice. But it is up to you.

As for the idea of the GPS in the first place - you have to decide whether you actually need a GPS at all (or would a cellphone solution work?) and if so, whether the integration of the multi-controller wheel / integration of vehicle telemetrics is worth the almost $500 premium to you.

If you will only travel long distance occasionally and even then may not rely solely on GPS navigation (but also rely on maps) then a cellphone with a navigation app is the way to go. I can offer recommendations on that.

If you have to have a GPS because you want it, then the telemetrics / jog-wheel integration would be the deciding factor. If that is not important to you then a whole selection of GPS units will have opened up for you. The Nav VI (based on Garmin navigation) is not perfect (lots of discussion on that) and if you want to wait for a rumoured Nav VII then you may wait somewhat longer than the arrival of the bike. The trend is away from dedicated GPS units so you may be waiting until toads get teeth.

But I could be wrong ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I am a GPS guy. When in the twisties, I like seeing how sharp the upcoming curve is, this is very helpful. When in bad weather, the Garmin/BMW/iPhone interconnect lets me put a weather radar screen on the GPS. I use my iPhone to enter destinations into the GPS, I don't hunt and peck anymore on the GPS screen.

I relocated my GPS using the MotoMate mount. It's good points: excellent relocation, reasonably priced, it fits without interfering with the view of the TFT and no interference with the screen hi/lo position (it just barely fits, there is no interference but there is no room to spare, either). It's only weak point is that the mount is a cantilever and it has visible wobble under some road conditions, even though it is securely mounted.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(11-09-2021, 01:06 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: I am a GPS guy. When in the twisties, I like seeing how sharp the upcoming curve is, this is very helpful. When in bad weather, the Garmin/BMW/iPhone interconnect lets me put a weather radar screen on the GPS. I use my iPhone to enter destinations into the GPS, I don't hunt and peck anymore on the GPS screen.

Oh so am I ... we are exactly aligned. I don't use maps at all, other than Google Maps or Furkot to plan my trips. While underway I prefer it do all the "thinking" for me while leaving my brain to think of something else. If I want to do something spontaneously, the GPS can also handle that effectively.

But some people are not GPS-types so I thought I would make the points I did because it is a ridiculous expense.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(11-09-2021, 01:06 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: I When in bad weather, the Garmin/BMW/iPhone interconnect lets me put a weather radar screen on the GPS.

The Garmin Smartphone App for iPhone or Android is great for seeing the weather radar on your GPS screen.
I wish I could uncheck the other options like traffic congestion which is wrong most of the time.
I get traffic warnings when I'm in the middle of nowhere.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(11-09-2021, 09:33 PM)Lee Wrote: I get traffic warnings when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Are you talking about the constant rerouting due to traffic that could be hundreds of miles down the road? Can these can be disabled under avoidances -> traffic? Unchecking the traffic boxes (Setting -> Traffic) might also help.
(11-09-2021, 01:15 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 01:06 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: I am a GPS guy. When in the twisties, I like seeing how sharp the upcoming curve is, this is very helpful. When in bad weather, the Garmin/BMW/iPhone interconnect lets me put a weather radar screen on the GPS. I use my iPhone to enter destinations into the GPS, I don't hunt and peck anymore on the GPS screen.

Oh so am I ... we are exactly aligned. I don't use maps at all, other than Google Maps or Furkot to plan my trips. While underway I prefer it do all the "thinking" for me while leaving my brain to think of something else. If I want to do something spontaneously, the GPS can also handle that effectively.

But some people are not GPS-types so I thought I would make the points I did because it is a ridiculous expense.

"Furkot"? Another test!

So it seems to come down to whether I'm a "GPS guy" or not. Well, I've had Navi in my SUVs for nearly 20 years and hardly ever used any of them. As noted above, I'm completely comfortable with a paper map and a tank bag with a window (my next Search), and I'm fairly regular about staying current with iPhones (every 3 or 4 generations). My GPS world so far is solidly grounded in Google Maps. And I, too, consider it a "ridiculous expense" (perhaps especially for me).

You guys are helping me answer my own question it seems, huh? VERY grateful for all the input from ALL of you so far!

More advice/opinions welcome, though, so don't hold back!
Can't find it now, on the international site there was a poster that used a ram ball off the front of the panel that holds the instrument cluster. Works well and inexpensive. One of the first mods I did, I've had mine there almost since purchase. You do have to drill a hole in the metal, but there is an undrilled boss where you drill, easy. Just put something between where you're drilling and the cluster. You also have to remove all the windshield apparatus to gain access. Sounds harder than it is, of course he had a step by step....and I can't find it.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(11-10-2021, 09:39 AM)ESquared Wrote: "Furkot"? Another test!
….
You guys are helping me answer my own question it seems, huh? VERY grateful for all the input from ALL of you so far!

More advice/opinions welcome, though, so don't hold back!

Don’t worry about Furkot … it’s a neat online application that I assume no one here but me uses. Smile

Sounds like you can skip getting BMW Navigator, I think. I have the app CoPilot (which you can find on the App Store and) which is one of the best apps for navigation and is inexpensive as well. Best of all you can download the maps thereby allowing it to work where there is no cell service. Link: https://copilotgps.com/en-us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(11-10-2021, 10:27 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Don’t worry about Furkot … it’s a neat online application that I assume no one here but me uses. Smile

I've used furkotBig Grin

Since transitioned to Ridewith GPS, a bicycle app that someone on another forum suggested.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(11-10-2021, 10:52 AM)Liteitup Wrote: I've used furkotBig Grin

Hahaha ... OK that's 2 of us. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS