Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilot Road 4>5
Well as fate would have it I knew I was ready to go for a new front but out of nowhere I then picked up a nail in the rear PR4 on Tuesday morning going in to work and decided what the hell while I'm at the tyre shop just get the front put on now.

Almost an exact 30,000km on the original PR4 front it well and truly squared off but I opted to keep the rear PR4 on (after patching it of course) as it has another 6000km to go in my view with 12,000km on now and having done 18,000km on the OEM one.

$145 US later I was on my way and I must say that the bike is razor sharp again. Bit of weirdness I suspect either because the rear is a little squared off or simply because the front was so square that the change to a brand new fresh tyre is making the front seem a little more nimble than the bag which seems to drag along just a little.

Either way haven't put much on it just yet so will need to report back but I think 30,000km on a front tyre is pretty good going.
(08-02-2018, 11:17 AM)SauRoN Wrote: Almost an exact 30,000km on the original PR4 front it well and truly squared off but I opted to keep the rear PR4 on (after patching it of course) as it has another 6000km to go in my view with 12,000km on now and having done 18,000km on the OEM one.

That is very good mileage indeed. If you get the 18,000 km (11,250 miles) out of the rears then that would be what I got. Front tires for me was about 12,000 miles as opposed to your 30,000 km (18.750 miles). You must have nicely textured roads over here as opposed to the occasional grater-like surface here in Texas.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
The last time I got mileage like that out of a tire was when I used the old farm wagon with wooden spoked wheels my father had. These wooden spoked wheels had a metal rim around them and I believe they lasted at least 20,000 miles. I just got back from a Colorado ride and my Dunlop Roadsmart III tires at 6790 miles have remaining 2 mm on the front and 3 mm on the rear. Probably another 2000 miles on these and then a new set.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Well had a bit of rain today and the PR5’s felt even better than the PR4’s.

Not massively so and might just be new tyre placebo but I felt even more happy to be in the rain than I usually am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-02-2018, 04:50 PM)darrell Wrote: The last time I got mileage like that out of a tire was when I used the old farm wagon with wooden spoked wheels my father had. These wooden spoked wheels had a metal rim around them and I believe they lasted at least 20,000 miles. I just got back from a Colorado ride and my Dunlop Roadsmart III tires at 6790 miles have remaining 2 mm on the front and 3 mm on the rear. Probably another 2000 miles on these and then a new set.

Reckon I’m too much of a handling coinessour for my own good. The lousy backroads around here don’t help but by the time I’ve gotten to 6,000 miles on every tire I’ve had on this bike the wear starts to be felt in the bikes handling and responsiveness and I trash them. The way I look at it is why would anyone ride a bike like the RS and have to suffer poor handling to to tire wear.

(08-16-2018, 12:27 PM)SauRoN Wrote: Well had a bit of rain today and the PR5’s felt even better than the PR4’s.

Not massively so and might just be new tyre placebo but I felt even more happy to be in the rain than I usually am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put a pair of Road 5s on mine also. Initially, they feel really nice. The turn in is effortless. Less than 200 miles so more later. The 5s were not the plan for replacement of my Angels. I’d ordered a pair of the road 4s and received a pair that was already 6 years old. Got a little gun shy about a tire that may or may not still be in production so returned them for a discounted pair of new Road 5s.