Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Pads
Just ordered my first set of brake pads and chose the Carbone Lorraine pads based on recommendations from Lee. Got them from Spiegler since Beemer Boneyard was out of stock for one of them and I did not want to wait.:

CL2396RX3 (rear)
CL1232XBK5 (front)

Anyone here use these and are they prone to squealing? Don't like squealing and my BMW pads have never made a single noise.

I will be doing an installation video of course and also a review at some point thereafter.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I'm sort of surprised you are changing brake pads with the mileage you have on your bike. I think you are in the 30,000 mile range. I'm putting on another set of tires later next week and will see if mine need changing at 62,000 miles. They were fine at 52,000 miles when I installed the current set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires.

As you have experienced I've had no noise from the BMW OEM brake pads and will likely use the same pads again when I have to replace them.

Keep us updated.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(08-15-2018, 07:37 PM)darrell Wrote: I'm sort of surprised you are changing brake pads with the mileage you have on your bike. I think you are in the 30,000 mile range. ...

Yep, 31,150 miles or thereabouts. Last time I looked (when I had the front wheels off to change the tires at 26,000 miles) I believe they had between 1 - 2 mm on the front pads. The limit is 1 mm. I just wanted to have the pads on hand for when I decide to make the change, but I don't believe that the original pads will make it to 52k miles as yours have. I commute daily and that is likely the reason. Smile

I also got a vacuum bleeder in preparation for a brake fluid change. That might happen before the pads are changed.

Speaking of mileage - the Dunlops have 5100 miles on them so far and are wearing quite nicely. Should be able to get 10k miles out of the rear and maybe more out of the front.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I was surprised that the workshop reckons I need to change my rear pads at 30,000km but granted I didn’t actually check them before handing it over like I usually do.

So they probably figure it won’t make it to the next service.

The quotation made me inadvertently laugh in their ear and so I just said no it’s fine I’ll do it when it’s really done.

Quite likely I’ll get the SBS options as that’s readily available to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-15-2018, 11:47 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Just ordered my first set of brake pads and chose the Carbone Lorraine pads based on recommendations from Lee. Got them from Spiegler since Beemer Boneyard was out of stock for one of them and I did not want to wait.:

CL2396RX3 (rear)
CL1232XBK5 (front)

Anyone here use these and are they prone to squealing? Don't like squealing and my BMW pads have never made a single noise.

I will be doing an installation video of course and also a review at some point thereafter.

I used the same Carbon Lorraine brake pads, RX3 and BK5, on one of my previously owned sport touring bikes (2008 Triumph Sprint ST?). The pads worked well, did not squeal and appeared like they would last a long time.

When switching from one brand of brake pad to another brand I read that you should remove the residual brake pad material from the rotors before installing the new brake pads. To do this you should "rough up" and clean the surface of the rotor. I've used 3M red and or green pads with soap and water and scrubbed the rotor in a small circular motion to accomplish this. This or similar process is supposed to help the brake pads bed in and mate better with the rotors (sexual innuendos unintentional Big Grin).
Having said that I've found the BMW brake pads to perform well and last a reasonable period of time. Being the anal person I am I have found the process to replace the existing pads with new BMW pads to be easier with less "rough up" and cleaning required. Even though they are $$$ I now replace BMW pads with the same.
Last time I replaced original BMW pads was on a 2015 R1200RT with 30,000 miles on it. The pads still had a decent amount of material left but it was winter and I thought it was a good time to change them.